Muzzle brake alignment issue

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

Muzzle brake alignment issue

Post by Blr243 » 08 Jul 2020, 10:10 am

I normally remove them weather I’m range or in the bush but my new 308 is quite lightweight... at least in the early stage as I get comfortable with the recoil I will leave it in place .... it’s a 3 finned 3 slot brake called pws triad. The symmetry looks odd ... I would think that a fin or a slot should be directly above the top centre of the barrel. Does it matter . Would you try to find a washer that results in better alignment ( this could be time consuming). My initial thought is to release it ., coat the thread with loctite and retighten it so one of the slots is in the 12 o’clock position...ie top centre of barrel. I don’t want to be seeing how it goes and then changing it. I don’t really have time to be sighting in at ranges more than necessary
Attachments
CDF7CA99-D7C1-49A3-80A2-2AEB6CAABFD3.jpeg
CDF7CA99-D7C1-49A3-80A2-2AEB6CAABFD3.jpeg (96.88 KiB) Viewed 4552 times
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Re: Muzzle brake alignment issue

Post by Blr243 » 08 Jul 2020, 10:12 am

Maybe I’m being too ocd. The pic showing the entire brake is taken by me as I stand looking down on top of the barrel
Attachments
84A4FFEB-1618-444D-9FFA-054AD0D30404.jpeg
84A4FFEB-1618-444D-9FFA-054AD0D30404.jpeg (53.49 KiB) Viewed 4551 times
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 08 Jul 2020, 10:19 am

If I arrange the brake so that one air slot faces the ground directly below me I’m toying with the idea of glueing a shield over the bottom slot to stop gas smashing the dirt under me. In the bush 95 per cent of my shots are on bipod prone on bare soil no grass .....I have heard that brakes blow big clouds of dust everywhere and allover the rifle operator
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by trekin » 08 Jul 2020, 10:22 am

Not really a brake, more a flash hider, by the looks.
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 08 Jul 2020, 10:24 am

I would try shooting it first to see if it is a problem.
With three ports you would ideally want one opening directly upward.

You can order indexing shim packs from Brownells, or put it in a lathe and take off enough for it to index it where you want it.

I don't know how well Loktite will work due to the force not being constant as it would be when tightened down against a shoulder.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 08 Jul 2020, 10:26 am

trekin wrote:Not really a brake, more a flash hider, by the looks.

I agree, this device has no surfaces for the gas to pull against so it's not going to affect recoil at all.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by trekin » 08 Jul 2020, 10:36 am

bladeracer wrote:
trekin wrote:Not really a brake, more a flash hider, by the looks.

I agree, this device has no surfaces for the gas to pull against so it's not going to affect recoil at all.

Yeah, more tacti-cool, barrel bling, than useful. One slot should be facing verticly down so you do not get mirage from hot gases leaving the barrel if you need a fast follow up shot. But watch out for grass fires if firing prone while using hot loads.
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by moudzj » 08 Jul 2020, 11:13 am

Blr;

I picked up the same rifle (Model 7 Kuiu) on Monday from Safari. As others have said, it is indeed a flash hider. Because the barrel is so short, there is quite a flash that comes with it, and it helpful. My mate has a brake on his, and I dont think Ill be putting one on because its quite a stun I cop when i shoot his rifle. Will see if I can go just with the flash hider...

How are you liking the fit and feel so far? I oiled mine when I got home, and a crap tone of this orange crap was coming off the barrel. Wiped it all off, and then lightly oiled. Also, I took the stock pic rail that came with it off because its a 20MOA rail, and didnt have enough scope adjustment left. Put Burris bases on with leupold rings, however thinking of buying a 0MOA rail because i like the look of them.
moudzj
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by moudzj » 08 Jul 2020, 11:17 am

Blr;

I picked up the same rifle (Model 7 Kuiu) on Monday from Safari. As others have said, it is indeed a flash hider. Because the barrel is so short, there is quite a flash that comes with it, and it helpful. My mate has a brake on his, and I dont think Ill be putting one on because its quite a stun I cop when i shoot his rifle. Will see if I can go just with the flash hider...

How are you liking the fit and feel so far? I oiled mine when I got home, and a crap tone of this orange crap was coming off the barrel. Wiped it all off, and then lightly oiled. Also, I took the stock pic rail that came with it off because its a 20MOA rail, and didnt have enough scope adjustment left. Put Burris bases on with leupold rings, however thinking of buying a 0MOA rail because i like the look of them.
moudzj
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 08 Jul 2020, 12:20 pm

I bought one a while back for my 300 from gunbloke on eBay. I imagine same thread - PM if you want to try it and I’ll send it across. It worked, but insanely loud - I now just take the recoil - although, has anyone had a recoil pinch your cheek between ear muff and cheek riser...? Jeezus. Thought the gun had exploded lol.
Attachments
26C0C518-1800-46AE-923F-19D4E4A35F10.jpeg
26C0C518-1800-46AE-923F-19D4E4A35F10.jpeg (75.16 KiB) Viewed 4512 times
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by MontyShooter » 08 Jul 2020, 1:36 pm

Agree with others. This is a flash hider and unlikely to mitigate recoil at all.

Tassie - I cop that with my 338 lap now and then. Feels more like beard hair being ripped out but you might be right.
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 08 Jul 2020, 1:43 pm

Wow! Never seen that before.
The M4 collapsible stocks though like to grab beard hair between the stock and the buffer tube for some ouchies :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 08 Jul 2020, 1:49 pm

Blade the stock looks like it might be something funky but it’s actually fixed ...Tt. Thanks for the offer but the noise and blast sounds brutal I might just add a pad and cop the boot. It looks like I have purchased a piece of steel marketing..... mould ...I’m glad u mentioned the 20 moa rail issue. I have already put a zero rail on mine in anticipation of easy sight in for sensible hunting ranges. I’m no ELMER
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 08 Jul 2020, 1:55 pm

I’m ok with fit and feel. I think the stock might be length adjustable if I need it. I did no cleaning. Or oiling but when I was checking some sized cases for chambering reliability I noticed very positive ejection that felt right It’s possible I’ll add something more grippy to the fore end to ensure reliable definite Complete chambering / or maybe my left hand is still too weak from dog bite recovery....we shall see
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 08 Jul 2020, 2:09 pm

Blr243 wrote:I’m ok with fit and feel. I think the stock might be length adjustable if I need it. I did no cleaning. Or oiling but when I was checking some sized cases for chambering reliability I noticed very positive ejection that felt right It’s possible I’ll add something more grippy to the fore end to ensure reliable definite Complete chambering / or maybe my left hand is still too weak from dog bite recovery....we shall see

If it has enough recoil a pump rifle should (I've never fired one) virtually cycle itself like a 12ga. pump does. You shouldn't have to push the forend forward while firing.

Pull the rifle/gun into your shoulder from the forend, as soon as it fires, it unlocks and cycles the action. If it has sufficient recoil the rifle continues rearward, while your weak hand is holding the slide in place, closing the action. I've long wondered whether these .308-class pump rifles can be operated like a 12ga pump. gun.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 08 Jul 2020, 5:38 pm

If you have enough thread you can also use a locknut to index it.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Muzzle-Brake-Lock-Jam-Nut-5-8x24-STEEL-Gunbloke-5-8-UNEF/174144330745
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Medb » 08 Jul 2020, 6:13 pm

It's aligned correctly, as others have said it is just a flash hider though. I also own some PWS muzzle devices and the correct alignment for them is for that circular section approximately where the threads are (which has a faint psw logo etched into it) to be facing upwards like it is in your photos.
Medb
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 08 Jul 2020, 6:57 pm

Are you sure it's not called a POS Triad?

If you index it with the slot facing vertical, you will then have two slots facing 45 degrees downwards which could blow dust all over you. Do you need anything hanging off the end of a 308?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 08 Jul 2020, 7:37 pm

On the site the description is pws
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 08 Jul 2020, 8:06 pm

Sorry mate, I am sure you are right. Just my attempt at humour.

I would be inclined not to use it as it would add little to your shooting experience.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges