Is dipping bullets only for extreme range?

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

Is dipping bullets only for extreme range?

Post by jays » 16 Mar 2014, 3:56 pm

I see some guys dip their bullets in things like boron liquid I think it is?

It's for lubrication right? To get more velocity out of your cartridges?

So if you're shooting good groups over a few hundreds metres and not going for crazy distances, there is no point in doing it I guess?

Thanks.
jays
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: Is dipping bullets only for extreme range?

Post by Rocker » 16 Mar 2014, 4:42 pm

Folks do moly coating to reduce barrel wear.

Not an area of my expertise but it's a done thing... Someone else will have to give you the specifics.
Sako A7 30-06
Marlin 1895 Guide Gun 45-70
Rocker
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Chronos » 16 Mar 2014, 6:15 pm

Generally coating in moly or hex boron reduces velocity by "lubricating" the bullets and intern the bore. It's not unusual for hand loaders to need to add half a grain or so to recover lost velocity.

I'll post some reading in the subject when I get to a PC

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by balter » 16 Mar 2014, 7:21 pm

Can that be right?

Lubricating the process removes velocity?

Confused...
balter
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Chronos » 16 Mar 2014, 7:37 pm

balter wrote:Can that be right?

Lubricating the process removes velocity?

Confused...

I thought the same at first.

The reduced friction reduces chamber pressure. Less pressure, less speed.

Have a read here

http://www.6mmbr.com/bulletcoating.html
http://www.totallyballistics.com.au/#!projectile/c1yws
http://6mmbr.websitetoolbox.com/post/bo ... ng-2927448

You'll find some who have used moly went to HBN coatings but found them inferior to moly and went back.

Some of the best applications of moly coating I've heard come from service rifle shooters who found using moly coating improved accuracy in worn barrels as the coating gills any flaws and cracks in the bore, extending the life of a barrel

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by disko » 17 Mar 2014, 8:00 am

Definitely wouldn't have guessed the more lubed bullets would go slower.

The pressure thing makes sense though, I guess it's slower to start with because of the increased friction but then really pops it out the muzzle at the end of the burn.

Always more to learn.
Meopta Meopro 4-12x50mm on Fluted Howa Sporter.
.308 Winchester.
disko
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by jays » 23 Mar 2014, 5:21 pm

Thanks guys.

Cheers for the links Chronos.

Reading now...
jays
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Apollo » 23 Mar 2014, 6:32 pm

From the target shooters I have spoken with and research I believe the main object of coating bullets with a friction modifier is to reduce the effects of barrel fouling.

They can shoot like 50 rounds or more in a competition without needing to clean the bore between details. I have never seen or heard a benefit to accuracy mentioned.

One of the points I note is don't mix coated with uncoated. One or the other and stick with it.

Moly can adversely affect accuracy if not handled correctly, in that it can streak a bore with an inconsistent coating but all in all it reduces friction.

Reduced friction results in reduced pressure build up before a bullet exits the bore so therefore less velocity and requires an increase in powder charge to regain the lost velocity but more so barrel tune (accuracy).
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Hinky » 23 Mar 2014, 6:45 pm

This is what Nolser have to say on their "Lubalox" coating (Their version of Moly).

WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF LUBALOX®?

The primary benefit of Lubalox is reduced barrel fouling. The process creates a surface on the bullet jacket, which increases the number of shots possible between cleanings. Unlike moly-coated bullets, Lubalox-coated bullets leave the barrel residue-free and do not require barrel “seasoning”. Additionally, unlike uncoated bullets that tarnish over time, Lubalox protects the surface of the bullet jacket, keeping it looking like new.

WILL LUBALOX® HARM THE GUN BARREL?

Lubalox does not harm the barrel. In fact, testing shows that the coating often reduces barrel fouling
Mosin Nagant M1891
Sako Finnbear L61R 25-06
Browning T-Bolt .22LR Sporter
Browning BL22
Hinky
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Apollo » 23 Mar 2014, 6:52 pm

Any supplier / manufacturer of a product will come up with a screed for their own product.

The simple story is the barrel bore becomes more slippery, so for sure the crud will stick to it less.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Rocker » 24 Mar 2014, 10:05 am

Apollo wrote:One of the points I note is don't mix coated with uncoated. One or the other and stick with it.

Moly can adversely affect accuracy if not handled correctly, in that it can streak a bore with an inconsistent coating but all in all it reduces friction.

I've read the same feedback from guys who shoot Nosler bullets switching from Ballistic Silvertips with the Lubalox coating to regular copper Ballistic Tips or Accubonds.

Once the barrels found its balance after a few dozen shots either way both shoot fine. But swapping between them or dropping one in at random got a bit unpredictable.

(Just sharing what I've read elsewhere, not from personal experience)
Sako A7 30-06
Marlin 1895 Guide Gun 45-70
Rocker
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges