first time shooting centrefire (addicted)

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

first time shooting centrefire (addicted)

Post by SAnewb85 » 23 Aug 2020, 1:08 pm

I headed to the Kapunda rifle range where some guys were shooting f class @700yds
Luckily for me one of the members offered for me to shoot his gun after they'd finished up the competition side of things. which I am incredibly grateful for.

Long story short, I scored 56 out of a possible 60 which is pretty crazy considering I fired a .22 at 25yds for the first time last Sunday and within a week I'm shooting 700 yds with a 308.
I can't stress enough that it was 99.99999% the equipment that got me on target, let alone getting a half decent score.
(Funnily enough my score was higher than the guy who let me shoot his gun) :shock: :D
Attachments
20200823_233543.jpg
20200823_233543.jpg (162.47 KiB) Viewed 2775 times
Last edited by SAnewb85 on 24 Aug 2020, 12:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
SAnewb85
Private
Private

South Australia

Re: first time shooting centrefire (addicted)

Post by Jarhead » 23 Aug 2020, 1:13 pm

Great shooting!

It's 10X better with your own stuff!!!
Regards,

Jarhead
Tikka T3 6.5 CM (2660 fps)

The Mustang looks the fastest but it's not.
Jarhead
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Wm.Traynor » 23 Aug 2020, 1:26 pm

That's terrific mate :D :thumbsup:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 23 Aug 2020, 6:59 pm

Good old Barry, what a good bloke to give you a go of his rig. What optics did he have on his 308?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 23 Aug 2020, 10:21 pm

you have had a dream come true :drinks: good for you :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by SAnewb85 » 23 Aug 2020, 10:58 pm

SCJ429 wrote:Good old Barry, what a good bloke to give you a go of his rig. What optics did he have on his 308?

Some kind of nightforce, bloody brilliant optic.
Will leave my athlon in the dust haha
SAnewb85
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by boingk » 23 Aug 2020, 11:10 pm

Nice one mate, go get 'em!

So... when you getting a 308? Or 6.5 Creed?

:D
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by SAnewb85 » 24 Aug 2020, 12:09 am

boingk wrote:Nice one mate, go get 'em!

Im still waiting on firearms branch so is probably going to be 6-8 weeks yet.
Torn between basic f class 308 and f class open 6.5 etc.

I know exactly what I want to buy, probably not 100% suitable for for f class but I'll make do
SAnewb85
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by Wm.Traynor » 24 Aug 2020, 10:48 am

SAnewb85 wrote:

Im still waiting on firearms branch so is probably going to be 6-8 weeks yet.
Torn between basic f class 308 and f class open 6.5 etc.

I know exactly what I want to buy, probably not 100% suitable for for f class but I'll make do

The reloading for F-Open is what I call, "hard-core". I have never done any of it and I think you would do more reloading than shooting, in the words of an old shooter I used to know. So FWIW you might want to start off in F-Standard :unknown: :)
Good Luck mate :thumbsup:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 24 Aug 2020, 6:24 pm

Wm.Traynor wrote:
SAnewb85 wrote:

The reloading for F-Open is what I call, "hard-core". I have never done any of it and I think you would do more reloading than shooting, in the words of an old shooter I used to know. So FWIW you might want to start off in F-Standard :unknown: :)
Good Luck mate :thumbsup:

Do you reload less if you shoot a 308 compared to a 6.5 in F Class? I don't see why you would.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Wm.Traynor » 24 Aug 2020, 7:34 pm

Just to be clear, when I said, "hardcore", I was referring to the time consuming preparation involved in making the ammo.
Personally, I don't think I could stand it but some people seem to love it. Takes all kinds I 'spose :)
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 25 Aug 2020, 7:54 am

Wm.Traynor wrote:Just to be clear, when I said, "hardcore", I was referring to the time consuming preparation involved in making the ammo.
Personally, I don't think I could stand it but some people seem to love it. Takes all kinds I 'spose :)

It depends on how well you want to do, if you want to win then you will put in the extra effort to improve your scores. If someone is not a competitive person, they probably will not bother competing. I see that everyone at my local competition put in at least as much effort as me. Perhaps they are all hardcore.

All the F Class standard guys want to win, they do extensive load preparation and load development. They all use custom actions and expensive optics. I get it that Open guys bring in some added complications in regards to the case designs they use.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Larry » 25 Aug 2020, 12:22 pm

Yes you cant really classify any one section of the F Class community in those terms. F Standard is very competitive but often for different reasons to F open. As a lot of others have said about all sorts of firearm competitions really it should be done as something you enjoy doing and you really should only every worry about competing against yourself.
There is certainly not an element of grandstanding in the sport of course like humanity or any community there are always a few narcissists but they dont really stand out or get very far in the sport. It is run by very genuine and passionate people who go out of their way to help new comers to both get into the sport and improve their skills in all areas not just shooting.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges