Mudgee Meetup 19-4-14

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

Mudgee Meetup 19-4-14

Post by Hilux2003 » 20 Mar 2014, 9:51 am

The next Windamere Regional Shooting Complex will be the Mudgee Meetup as per shoot info below. :D
We would like to know how many to expect, so either PM or reply here. 8-)
Attachments
mudgee-shoot-7.jpg
mudgee-shoot-7.jpg (228.67 KiB) Viewed 10927 times
Hilux2003
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Mudgee Meetup 19-4-14

Post by ebr love » 20 Mar 2014, 12:49 pm

Will check the calendar and with the boss and reply back.

Keen though...
TIKKA T3 TAC .300 WIN MAG
HOW SPORTER 270 WIN
HOWA YOUTH .204 RUGER
MARLIN 1889 .38-40
ebr love
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 21 Mar 2014, 7:32 am

Sounds great hilux2003,

I should make the point that the benchrest shoot on Sunday is open to all rifles, not just high end custom jobs.

In the interest of prompting some friendly competition I'm going to donate a case if Coopers to the factory "hunter" class rifle that shoots the smallest 5 shot group in the competition on Sunday.

*Rifles must meet my definition of factory hunting rifles :)

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Blackened » 21 Mar 2014, 8:25 am

A case of cooper rifles?

I'm in!
Blackened

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 21 Mar 2014, 8:35 am

Blackened wrote:A case of cooper rifles?

I'm in!

Lol

You might find one in the case that'll shoot. Bahahaha!!!!!

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Hilux2003 » 22 Mar 2014, 7:53 pm

Please provide "your definition" of the hunter rifle mentioned earlier.

Does a 12BTCSS qualify ?
Hilux2003
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 22 Mar 2014, 8:23 pm

here's my definition of a hunting rifle,

1) available over the counter at an australian gun store, no special order exotic rifles

2)must be capable of firing from either an internal magazine or detachable box magazine, rifle may be fired single shot

3)barrel must be as supplied with the rifle, no custom match barrels

4) taken from the rules of 500m fly "any competitor found not to be enjoying themselves may be disqualified"

yes hilux, the savage counts firstly we know no Savage ever won anything and secondly we know you don't like beer and would donate it back to the second place getter :p

all in good fun hilux of course, that's the point of the whole thing anyway isn't it :)

in all honesty i'd be happy for any existing "hunter" class rifle rules to stand it's about encouraging people to try it out and have fun

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Hilux2003 » 22 Mar 2014, 8:38 pm

Bugger.
I will have to donate the beer back, as the Savage will win!

So, are you going to try for second place?
Hilux2003
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 22 Mar 2014, 9:00 pm

Hilux2003 wrote:Bugger.

I'll try, the 7-08 has shot some good groups with 120gr ballistic tips and 168gr SMK's but I'm yet to tune the 162gr Amax's

I guess well see, hope it's really windy and the 162gr billets will track better than your .22 bullets

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Kelix » 23 Mar 2014, 11:58 am

I'm going to try and be there.
Kelix
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Apollo » 23 Mar 2014, 1:52 pm

BUT, what distance is this little challenge, bit of fun suppose to happen at....????

The Benchrest afternoon on a Sunday is 50-300m which leaves a lot to the imagination.

"A Hunting Rifle" "Anything available over the counter" .... Sporter, Hunting, Varmint, as long as it has a Magazine..??? Does the magazine have to be used...???

Think I might throw in the old buggered .243W Tikka T3 Varmint with some nice custom loads.... :-)

Another thing I know that will be happening is 100 & 200 Hunter Class SSAA Rules, 14lb max weight.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Hilux2003 » 23 Mar 2014, 5:09 pm

No one mentioned ssaa rules, where did that come from ?
Chronos's "hunter rules" may need further explination, as 14lbs is bluddy heavy to cart around 'hunting'.
Hilux2003
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Pilch » 23 Mar 2014, 5:49 pm

Looks like you guys had a blast at the last one from the forum photos :D

More pics wanted ;)
Pilch
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Apollo » 23 Mar 2014, 6:15 pm

Hilux2003 wrote:No one mentioned ssaa rules, where did that come from ?
Chronos's "hunter rules" may need further explination, as 14lbs is bluddy heavy to cart around 'hunting'.

Step one, some rules are required, Chronos mentioned the 500M Fly Hunter Class which is a SSAA class. (Actually shot at 300m)

A Hunting Rifle and a Hunter Class Rifle can be two very different things. I don't think Chronos is thinking "Hunter Class" but more to say proberly what most people would call a normal rifle used for any form of hunting. I was being smart in saying my "Hunter Class" which is a SSAA Disipline but it's not a Hunting Rifle if you get my point, I think he may also be bringing a Hunter Class "Custom Grade" rifle which I'd like to have a go at. Group versus Score.

The distance needs to be addressed.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Hilux2003 » 25 Mar 2014, 7:34 pm

Any "rules" for the hunter shoot / Coopers case are to be set by Chronos, as he is the one threatening us with beer. End of story.
Hilux2003
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Hilux2003 » 30 Mar 2014, 8:33 pm

Chronos wrote:
Hilux2003 wrote:Bugger.

I'll try, the 7-08 has shot some good groups with 120gr ballistic tips and 168gr SMK's but I'm yet to tune the 162gr Amax's

I guess well see, hope it's really windy and the 162gr billets will track better than your .22 bullets

Chronos

I'll also have the 100year old sweed in 6.5x55, just in case it's a "bit blowey" :lol:
Hilux2003
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Apollo » 30 Mar 2014, 9:10 pm

Ahh, 6.5mm vers 6.5mm .... Better sort out some loads for that rough Remington 700 6.5x47 Lapua of mine the week before. Your boots are bigger so I'll just have to make sure the powder charge is up there.....

For the interest of others that have never shot a Custom Benchrest Rifle, if all goes well with my plans and the injuries allow me I will be there with my 30BR Custom Build. Stolle Grizzly II in a Long Range Kelbly Benchrest Stock, 1.5oz Jewell BR Trigger and March-X 8-80x56mm Scope. Full heavy weight 14lb Hunter Class so it's test your skills at 100m, 200m or 300m Score Shoot, pick your distance. Donation required for ammo, thinking $10 for 20 rounds which really doesn't cover the cost of the bullets alone but if you have never shot a near $10,000 rifle here's your chance. You break it / drop it you buy it....:-) ...I'll be watching like a hawke but it's pretty safe. Full Farley BR Coaxial Front Rest & SEB Bigfoot Rear Bag.....

My thinking here is two Benchrest Hunter Class Targets, one shot only at 5 scoring targets x 2 target frames. 10 sighters to be used at any time at the sighting target over the two frames.There will be a time limit of 10 minutes each target. I will have a timer attached to the front rest to help you. With a bit of help from others I will have BRT Competition Wind Flags to setup, 5 over the 300m range ....if I can help to set them out.

Basically this is what you need to do. This target was the first ever 10 rounds shot out of this rifle at 175m, the sighter target was sighting in the scope, making adjustments then attempt at 5 scoring shots just fireforming cases. This was my not so flash Remington 700 in the same calibre. The score here is a perfect 5 x 10 with 3 tie breaking X's. Just me mucking around.

Anyone interested might like to let me know before the weekend so I can load enough ammo..... 115gr Berger Flat Base Target.... it's like a pussy to shoot btw.
Last edited by Apollo on 18 Apr 2014, 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by petemacsydney » 31 Mar 2014, 9:30 pm

Soooo, are noobs welcome... I'm tempted...
_________
Are you ready for the Zombie apocalypse?
petemacsydney
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 31 Mar 2014, 9:44 pm

petemacsydney wrote:Soooo, are noobs welcome... I'm tempted...

of course mate, there are new blokes and ladies that turn up every time. people with kids, dogs. the hardest thing about the whole thing is managing your ammo supplies so you can shoot on day 2, some of us have resorted to taking all out reloading gear to overcome that :D

there's plenty of spots to sleep in the sheds (neer the fire if it's cold), sleep in the car or bring a tent or caravan, last time there were a couple of really nice camper trailers

probably the best thing is getting to talk to lots of shooters from different backgrounds and experience levels, look at their gear and most will happily let you shoot it too. take a turn at shooting longer ranges, shoot standing, what ever. there will be plenty of shotguns for use if you'd like to have a crack and you can do the handgun safety course and try pistol shooting too

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Apollo » 31 Mar 2014, 9:53 pm

"NOOBS" are so welcome it's not funny.... Most certainly come for a drive and at least meet a few people.

Between "Chronos" and myself we may even be doing some precision reloading and showing off some gear.

My problem is I'm still recovering from a major accident on a motor bike from last year at home on my farm. I still can't get around all that well and into pretty heavy pain killers. I'm only interested in the Sunday Benchrest for those reasons but I'm thinking of turning up on Saturday for a meet, yarn, etc maybe setup some gear and take it easy watching others.

We have portable, In-line Reloading Gear which a lot of people have never seen in use. It's not just shooting, but what ever else might happen you have never done before.

BTW... The Mudgee Range is my home base away from home. Just watch out for this "Hilux2003" fellow, he's some character and very experienced..... :-)
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by petemacsydney » 01 Apr 2014, 9:15 am

I'm sold!
At this stage i'll target a day trip on Sunday.
I better start reloading now!!!
_________
petemacsydney
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Hilux2003 » 01 Apr 2014, 11:08 am

Apollo wrote:"NOOBS" are so welcome it's not funny.... Most certainly come for a drive and at least meet a few people.

BTW... The Mudgee Range is my home base away from home. Just watch out for this "Hilux2003" fellow, he's some character and very experienced..... :-)

Experienced at what though Apollo, the shootin', the bullshitin' or both? :o
Hilux2003
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Hilux2003 » 01 Apr 2014, 7:00 pm

petemacsydney wrote:I'm sold!

We should have the range 2 targets set out in the morning (50, 100, 200 & 300m), hopefully with some 'windflags'.

--------------------- deviation
The windflags have nothing to do with "baked beans" or other gas production food stuffs. They are for the X winds down the range.

:roll: You might even get to shoot the Savage on the Sunday. :lol:

Just ask Chronos about it - the most accurate & consistent rifle ever built (hang on I'll just .................................)
--------------------re-deviated

Sorry about that, nornal service will be resumed once we determine what is normal :geek:
Hilux2003
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 01 Apr 2014, 7:17 pm

Hilux2003 wrote:
petemacsydney wrote:I'm sold!

Just ask Chronos about it - the most accurate & consistent rifle ever built

oh, it's accurate.....just needs someone to shoot it accuratley :lol:

the savage can hit a fly at 300m................took ten shots but 8-)

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Hilux2003 » 01 Apr 2014, 7:55 pm

Go on - rub it in! Ten shots :)

But - did you get one ? :roll:
Hilux2003
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 01 Apr 2014, 8:09 pm

Hilux2003 wrote:Go on - rub it in! Ten shots :)

But - did you get one ? :roll:

mmmmmm....yup in the butt ;)

i shot it on the fourth target though :lol:

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Apollo » 01 Apr 2014, 8:14 pm

Fly shooting, 300 or 500m is also group shooting.....

The idea being a SMALL Group....... :-)
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 01 Apr 2014, 8:22 pm

Apollo wrote:Fly shooting, 300 or 500m is also group shooting.....

The idea being a SMALL Group....... :-)

looking at that target there's actually 6 shots, the fly hit was from the previous group but i didn't patch out the fly because it was the aiming point

that five shot group would have made a pretty good 4 shot group without the one i dropped low, this was shot at 300m with my tikka varmint in 7-08, 2.5-16 bushnell

steve
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by petemacsydney » 02 Apr 2014, 12:19 pm

i can sense some good friendly competition coming out here! looking forward to it gents!

i'll bring my noob fly target, the fly on the paper is more akin to a full scale sized pterodactyl

i think that's only fair considering i'm lagging in my experience... you know, balancing the scales so to speak?
_________
petemacsydney
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Hilux2003 » 03 Apr 2014, 6:21 pm

petemacsydney wrote:i can sense some good friendly competition coming out here! looking forward to it gents!

i'll bring my noob fly target, the fly on the paper is more akin to a full scale sized pterodactyl

i think that's only fair considering i'm lagging in my experience... you know, balancing the scales so to speak?

No worries, just as long as you enjoy the shoot.
Hilux2003
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Next

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges