Examining the wobble theory

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

Examining the wobble theory

Post by Blr243 » 17 Oct 2020, 1:12 pm

For the last few years I been thinking about getting myself a fat barrelled rifle. I worked out , Or someone told me that when Aiming a heavy barrelled rifle in the field , th cross hairs seem to sit still better , because the heavy barrell just sort of sits there instead of wobbling allover the show. So I have a new howa 22250 , and about to collect a same 243 both howa varmit barrels ...I’m mostly interested in Field experience....to those who have used heavier barrels. , in the field , eg out the window of a Ute, do u find your sight picture wobbling less , and is it maybe a 5/10 or 30 per cent reduction in wobble Due to the heavy mass ? I still not hunted with mine yet. I struggle with range rules I have recently found out that I’m allowed to travel to northern nsw to hunt again
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Re: Examining the wobble theory

Post by Grandadbushy » 17 Oct 2020, 2:04 pm

G'day Blr , mate i like heavier rifles and barrels i find they are better for me , i don't think a heavy barrel would hold any better than a light one except with a little recoil ,i find that with more weight in a rifle you put in more effort ''than a light rifle'' to stabilise it ie ( rest, car door, tree and so on) but in my opinion if you treat a heavy barrel rifle like a light barrel rifle then i doubt there would be any difference and i tend to like the heavier rifles ,they suit me better and i get better results with the little bit more effort stabilising it because of it's weight.
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 17 Oct 2020, 7:48 pm

Lol. It's called inertia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inertia
FYI it's been around a very long time. If its heavier it must wobble less.

While your at it get educated.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Momentum
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Shootermick » 17 Oct 2020, 7:58 pm

I like a heavy barrel, or a medium like my Lithgow 223, no doubt in my mind that it steadies so much better than a light or sporter weight barrel. I shoot a lot out of the ute and don’t carry a rifle too much, so weight isn’t really an issue for me. I also like a nice flat forend to sit squarely out the window, or a bag on the bonnet or whatever. I’m no great shot, but these styles of rifles suit my type of shooting.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by straightshooter » 18 Oct 2020, 9:59 am

A heavy barrel has many benefits but for 'offhand' shooting the fit and balance of a rifle is paramount.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges