Private range coach/help wanted NorthWest Melbourne

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

Private range coach/help wanted NorthWest Melbourne

Post by Wodez » 20 Nov 2020, 11:24 am

Hey enoughgunners

I am hoping to find an experience target shooter to help me tighten up my groups on my hunting rifles. In return You can bring your own rifles for some range time as well or if your keen for a Fox whistle we can do that.
I have access to multiple properties at Sunbury that we can go to.
I am shooting a sako a7 rough tech 300wm and a sako 85 243w. I know these are only hunting rifles but I would like to get the best out of them.
I reload for both and I believe I have found a load that works well most of the time. It Just seems some days I can have 4 shots at 1/4moa but next day 1moa, then next day 1/2moa. Sometimes these changes in group size are seen on the same day 15 minute apart.
The help I need is to find out if the inconsistent groups is a shooter/recoil management issue or perhaps I still don’t have the correct node/load.
It would be good to have someone shoot my rifle and maybe me get behind someone else’s proven tack driver with a decent recoil and see what I am capable of.

I have asked for similar help with the reloading side of things on this forum and was lucky enough to have someone watch over my reloading procedure with no complaints. But in saying that I am sure there is things I can change that may help. For instance I only have full length sizing dies.

Any help or advice would be appreciated

Cheers
Brent
Wodez
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Private range coach/help wanted NorthWest Melbourne

Post by TassieTiger » 20 Nov 2020, 12:28 pm

If your looking at 1/2 inch shot group differences, Your not talking about major changes...position, temperature, trigger management could all contribute...
One little thing I did with my 300wm was set up a tripod and - as silly as it sounds - video yourself from side on, shooting groups...some times I was very good with my trigger pull but other times (unbeknown to me) I was flinching ever so slightly in anticipation...wouldn’t have picked this up without video.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Skinna » 20 Nov 2020, 1:16 pm

TassieTiger wrote:If your looking at 1/2 inch shot group differences, Your not talking about major changes...position, temperature, trigger management could all contribute...
One little thing I did with my 300wm was set up a tripod and - as silly as it sounds - video yourself from side on, shooting groups...some times I was very good with my trigger pull but other times (unbeknown to me) I was flinching ever so slightly in anticipation...wouldn’t have picked this up without video.

Good tip Tassie... :thumbsup:

I used to watch my technique with drum sticks practicing rudiments on a pad with a mirror at 90 degrees to me...it helped in guiding me to similar feel & speed with both hands... :thumbsup:
Ive also sometimes wished i could see myself take some shots i miss on longer range bunny's...i try & play the "feel" of some missed shots back in my head & realise i probably pulled the shot with a little flinching anticipation or an anxious or agitated 'yank' at the last bit of trigger tension...
Skinna
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by JimTom » 20 Nov 2020, 4:04 pm

:drinks: Mate if can shoot 1/4 MOA then I would suggest there is not to much wrong with your shooting. It is possible the variation in group size could be attributed to inconsistencies in your reloading perhaps. Not being critical mate, just a suggestion. :drinks:
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Wodez » 20 Nov 2020, 6:20 pm

JimTom wrote::drinks: Mate if can shoot 1/4 MOA then I would suggest there is not to much wrong with your shooting. It is possible the variation in group size could be attributed to inconsistencies in your reloading perhaps. Not being critical mate, just a suggestion. :drinks:

I’m open to any ideas, help or training to find what works.
Recoil management is just my guess. Videoing myself might help. I’ll give it a go.

My reloading process is-
Ultrasonic clean and rinse
Full length size
Trim to below spec length. I don’t necessarily trim them all down to 1 specific length. Perhaps something I should consider?
Debur
Primer
Powder-check digital scales with a control weight for every charge.
Seat- I normally just check overall length within 3thou but I want to get a comparator gauge to check ogive and make that more consistent.

Wonder if either a neck sizing die would help or a bushing die that apparently can help with neck tension consistency.
Wodez
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Peter988 » 20 Nov 2020, 8:25 pm

Also try weighing your projectiles. It’s surprising how much they differ.
Peter988
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 20 Nov 2020, 9:15 pm

What are trimming with that results in random lengths?

Wodez wrote:
JimTom wrote::drinks: Mate if can shoot 1/4 MOA then I would suggest there is not to much wrong with your shooting. It is possible the variation in group size could be attributed to inconsistencies in your reloading perhaps. Not being critical mate, just a suggestion. :drinks:

I’m open to any ideas, help or training to find what works.
Recoil management is just my guess. Videoing myself might help. I’ll give it a go.

My reloading process is-
Ultrasonic clean and rinse
Full length size
Trim to below spec length. I don’t necessarily trim them all down to 1 specific length. Perhaps something I should consider?
Debur
Primer
Powder-check digital scales with a control weight for every charge.
Seat- I normally just check overall length within 3thou but I want to get a comparator gauge to check ogive and make that more consistent.

Wonder if either a neck sizing die would help or a bushing die that apparently can help with neck tension consistency.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges