Boyd’s Stock

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

Boyd’s Stock

Post by JimTom » 24 Nov 2020, 7:44 am

Any of you fellas running a Boyd’s stock, in particular in a Tikka T3X Lite?
For those who have Boyd’s, what do you reckon is the best profile and finish, ie classic laminate, heritage walnut etc.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Re: Boyd’s Stock

Post by Ziege » 24 Nov 2020, 9:51 am

I have two boyds, one on a Remington and one on a Howa, I rate them, great value for money. Mine are both laminate and relatively unfinished as far as checkering and other options.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by JimTom » 24 Nov 2020, 10:17 am

Thanks mate, yes I was just going to go the classic laminate, just plain, a bit like me. It is after all only a hunting rifle. Would prefer practicality and function to appearance.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Ziege » 24 Nov 2020, 10:29 am

mate mine was all about the cash side of it, if I bought a stock for $1k instead of $290 then I would be $710 shorter on ammo budget, the flasher stocks dont do anything these ones don't, its a bit of wood so you can aim the rifle.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by BigKev74 » 24 Nov 2020, 1:31 pm

I have one for my Howa1500. Just buy them from boyds in the US. Even with shipping & currency conversion its still cheaper than buying them from here. Plus you get to choose all the fancy bits.

I have a spike camp in walnut. Looks okay, shoots fine, hard to ask for anything more at the price.
BigKev74
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by scoot » 24 Nov 2020, 1:50 pm

I put a featherweight thumbhole on my tikka lite. Price is very attractive and they're not bad. I did have to bed the mag floor plate to use it. When trying to torque the action screws at all the plate distorted and wouldn't fit the mag. I'm not talking guerilla torque and the bottom metal is plastic, but it wasn't the drop in fit you assume. Easily rectified but after using it a few times I'm going to look for something else. The reach to the trigger with your hand in the grip is tooooo long. Maybe an "at one" would have been a better choice if anyone had sporter profile barrel channel ones.
P.S. I'm not trying to poo poo them, they are good value, I just chose the wrong style .(hard to test when No one local has any)
scoot
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by JimTom » 24 Nov 2020, 8:34 pm

Thanks for the replies gents. Much appreciated. Have ordered a classic laminate. Can’t be any worse than the Tupperware on it at present.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Ziege » 24 Nov 2020, 8:48 pm

BigKev74 wrote:I have one for my Howa1500. Just buy them from boyds in the US. Even with shipping & currency conversion its still cheaper than buying them from here. Plus you get to choose all the fancy bits.

I have a spike camp in walnut. Looks okay, shoots fine, hard to ask for anything more at the price.

last time I checked boyds won't send them here, they had to go through someone with the export license from the states side. what changed?
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by Ziege » 24 Nov 2020, 8:49 pm

JimTom wrote:Thanks for the replies gents. Much appreciated. Have ordered a classic laminate. Can’t be any worse than the Tupperware on it at present.

Was going to say I held a few different ones first and found the praire hunter to be the nicest sporter style stock they made, and yes the At0ne was available then too. it was the closest one to a winchester model 70 stock like my old mans.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges