How do you choose a club?

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

How do you choose a club?

Post by djmm » 17 Dec 2020, 3:30 pm

Hi there,

Newbie here (and to guns). I'm interested in doing target shooting with pistols and being in NSW, we have a few shooting range (and clubs) available. Just wondering, since I can't really see what each club does and how many days they are allocated at range, how do you guys usually decide which club to join or which range to go?

Do you choose the range you like then enquire about the clubs? Cheers.
djmm
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: How do you choose a club?

Post by Bugman » 18 Dec 2020, 12:40 pm

I can tell you, that under present conditions, very few, if any, pistol clubs are undertaking new membership in the Sydney basin.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by rc42 » 18 Dec 2020, 2:28 pm

Clubs often specialize in particular disciplines, some of which are limited by their ranges and facilities (for example not many offer 200m metallic silhouette) so that may be a factor for you.
Their calendar of matches should be available online, if not call or email and ask for a copy, this will show you which clubs have matches in disciplines that interest you at times that suit you, plus you can get a feel for how busy the club is from the number of events and hours for practice sessions.

The ease of getting to the club may also be a factor if they are otherwise similar, but you can join more than one or move between them so no need to over think your decision.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by djmm » 18 Dec 2020, 6:49 pm

Okay thanks for the tips. So I guess apart from style, time table should play really important part then, ie. If they only shoot on weekends and I can't do many weekends then better choose the ones on weekdays?
djmm
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by djmm » 18 Dec 2020, 7:15 pm

Bugman wrote:I can tell you, that under present conditions, very few, if any, pistol clubs are undertaking new membership in the Sydney basin.

Why is that? Covid?
djmm
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 18 Dec 2020, 7:22 pm

djmm wrote:Okay thanks for the tips. So I guess apart from style, time table should play really important part then, ie. If they only shoot on weekends and I can't do many weekends then better choose the ones on weekdays?

It can be big factor, my SSAA range (East Gippsland) is only open two days per month, one Sunday and one Wednesday.
Last edited by bladeracer on 18 Dec 2020, 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by djmm » 18 Dec 2020, 7:45 pm

bladeracer wrote:
djmm wrote:Okay thanks for the tips. So I guess apart from style, time table should play really important part then, ie. If they only shoot on weekends and I can't do many weekends then better choose the ones on weekdays?

It can be big factor, my SSAA range (East Gippsland) is only open two days per month, one Sunsay and one Wednesday.

Okay that makes sense - I guess no point joining a club which the timetable clashes with your own personal arrangement then. Just wondering, does license decisioning gets influenced by the clubs? ie. larger one with more members or more established one gets processed with less hassle?
djmm
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by ThatNewGuy » 18 Dec 2020, 9:33 pm

djmm wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

It can be big factor, my SSAA range (East Gippsland) is only open two days per month, one Sunsay and one Wednesday.

Okay that makes sense - I guess no point joining a club which the timetable clashes with your own personal arrangement then. Just wondering, does license decisioning gets influenced by the clubs? ie. larger one with more members or more established one gets processed with less hassle?

As far as I'm aware no on the processing time... there really is no rhyme or reason for how anything is done by QPS here works, Might be different in your state but I seem to be on their good side with any kind of wait.
I just wanted something here...

-New Guy
ThatNewGuy
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by djmm » 19 Dec 2020, 7:47 am

Oh ok, maybe just see how you go after applying then, many variables too I guess
djmm
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by johnboy357 » 19 Dec 2020, 8:27 am

Seeing that you are in NSW and thinking of pistols why not contact the New South Wales Amateur Pistol association [NSWAPA] - they are the body for Pistol shooting in that state and they can connect you with a club or clubs in your area - https://www.nswapa.org.au/ --- https://www.nswapa.org.au/clubs.html

When you talk to the club contact ask if they have any "come and try days" where you can go along and try pistol shooting.
johnboy357
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Bugman » 19 Dec 2020, 7:47 pm

djmm wrote:
Bugman wrote:I can tell you, that under present conditions, very few, if any, pistol clubs are undertaking new membership in the Sydney basin.

Why is that? Covid?

Apparently so
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by djmm » 19 Dec 2020, 9:27 pm

johnboy357 wrote:Seeing that you are in NSW and thinking of pistols why not contact the New South Wales Amateur Pistol association [NSWAPA] - they are the body for Pistol shooting in that state and they can connect you with a club or clubs in your area - https://www.nswapa.org.au/ --- https://www.nswapa.org.au/clubs.html

When you talk to the club contact ask if they have any "come and try days" where you can go along and try pistol shooting.

Good idea - will do that.

Bugman wrote:
djmm wrote:

Why is that? Covid?

Apparently so

Damn recent case is not helping either lol
djmm
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Devilcv8 » 23 Dec 2020, 10:22 pm

I’m in rural NSW and had a couple of club choices both at a similar distance away. One had a very rigid application process along with a rigid training schedule along with restricting you on what pistols you could shoot as you learnt. The other, which I joined, is a more friendly atmosphere but strict on safety. The range is available most days and the membership fees are reasonable and all inclusive. No extras for targets, patches, range fees etc. just the annual fee which was cheaper than the other club I looked at.
Devilcv8
Private
Private

New South Wales

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges