Longest barrel life target calibre

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

Longest barrel life target calibre

Post by chookah » 27 Mar 2014, 12:11 pm

G'day,

What would you say is the longest barrel life target cartridge?

Anything that can reasonable be called a "target rifle", doesn't have to be the absolute best in terms of accuracy, just up there.

Just curious. Longest barrel life possible, what do you think?
Remington 700 Sendero SF II
7mm Remington Magnum

Tikka T3 Lite
.223 Remington
chookah
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: Longest barrel life target calibre

Post by Apollo » 27 Mar 2014, 1:02 pm

Rimfire and/or Centrefire...??

Rimfire obviously the likes of a .22LR for one.

Centrefire could be any number of calibres like .222R, some say that "Underbore" calibres show the best barrel life but it's not that simple. One chart that lists "Overbore" cartridges is here http://www.accurateshooter.com/technica ... y-formula/ so at the top of the list starts with underbore cartridges.

One example is what I have and use for out to 300m Hunter Class ie Score Target being the 30BR. So far in my investigations I have never found or heard mentioned anyone wearing out a barrel, more to the point being hasn't worn the "throat".

The wear is so unlikely that a Gunsmith will trim most or all the "Knox Form" off the chamber end of a barrel to make weight with a heavy straight profile barrel. Any Gunsmith I have spoken with has never heard of one being re-chambered through wear to the throat.

Some years ago one very high rated competition shooter reported being way past 8,000 rounds with his barrel and the bonus on top of that is it's also very kind on cartridge cases and his initial 150 cases were still being used. That's over 50 reloads per case and still going years later and still winning competitions.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by chookah » 27 Mar 2014, 3:14 pm

Sorry, I meant centrefire only.

Not rimfire.

:)
Remington 700 Sendero SF II
7mm Remington Magnum

Tikka T3 Lite
.223 Remington
chookah
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Warrigul » 28 Mar 2014, 8:53 am

Apollo wrote:The wear is so unlikely that a Gunsmith will trim most or all the "Knox Form" off the chamber end of a barrel to make weight with a heavy straight profile barrel. Any Gunsmith I have spoken with has never heard of one being re-chambered through wear to the throat.

For the dedicated collectors, military shooters and those that wish to be correct it is actually NOCKS form after the brothers Nock not Knox form after the religious leader.

Spell it Knox form in some circles and you will get you head bitten off by purists.

Just a bit of off topic crap for the morning, correct spelling isn't high on most peoples agenda (especially when Knox form is becoming generally accepted).
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Apollo » 28 Mar 2014, 9:21 am

You win, I'm not a Gunsmith, Collector or Military Shooter.

"Nocks Form" http://acant.org.au/Articles/NocksForm.html

Next time I'll call it the "Parallel Section" at the Chamber end of a barrel. Even though with modern barrels there is no "flat" part, the part that has no taper in the contour.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by 1290 » 28 Mar 2014, 10:15 am

Generally, in the most simplistic terms - more bang less life, you could almost say the amount of powder burnt is inversely proportional to barrel life, but what is barrel life?

An acceptable/shootable level of throat erosion?

The smaller cased 6mm BR /PPC types probably up there... (Surprisingly!)

Onya Warrigul, hang on still the mofo!
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Warrigul » 28 Mar 2014, 10:25 am

Apollo wrote:You win, I'm not a Gunsmith, Collector or Military Shooter.

"Nocks Form" http://acant.org.au/Articles/NocksForm.html

Next time I'll call it the "Parallel Section" at the Chamber end of a barrel. Even though with modern barrels there is no "flat" part, the part that has no taper in the contour.

It was just a point of interest(to a very few), I think Knox form is pretty much what it is known as by 95% of people.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Hilux2003 » 28 Mar 2014, 3:24 pm

Warrigul wrote:It was just a point of interest(to a very few), I think Knox form is pretty much what it is known as by 95% of people.

Thanks for that Warrigul, I've been around guns since the 1960's & seen both spelling(s) but never bothered to check which was the "more correct" version, now I know.

Back to the longest life - target barrel.
Hilux2003
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Old Fart » 29 Mar 2014, 12:54 pm

Warrigul wrote:It was just a point of interest(to a very few), I think Knox form is pretty much what it is known as by 95% of people.

No such thing as too much information ;)
Winchester Model 70 Featherweight - .270 Winchester Short Magnum
Uberti 1873 Short Rifle - .45 Colt
Winchester Model 70 Coyote Varmint - .22-250 Remington
Old Fart
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Immelmann » 10 May 2014, 9:59 am

.308WIN
Immelmann
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by coroboreeboy » 26 Aug 2014, 9:56 am

Read somewhere a while ago that if barrel life is x thousand rounds, multiply by the length of time each projectile actually spends in the barrel, then barrel life is actually about 3.5 seconds!
coroboreeboy
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by mausermate » 26 Aug 2014, 11:18 am

coroboreeboy wrote:Read somewhere a while ago that if barrel life is x thousand rounds, multiply by the length of time each projectile actually spends in the barrel, then barrel life is actually about 3.5 seconds!

3000fps is 914,000 mm per second. Over a 600 mm barrel that's 1523 times per second. 3.9 seconds for 6000 shots and that just wasted 5 minutes!
Now that's been said, who's coming for a shot?
mausermate
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by twoforty » 26 Aug 2014, 4:08 pm

coroboreeboy wrote:Read somewhere a while ago that if barrel life is x thousand rounds, multiply by the length of time each projectile actually spends in the barrel, then barrel life is actually about 3.5 seconds!

Some of that here - Your barrel life is 6 seconds
.243 Win Savage Axis Stainless
Burris Fullfield 4.5-14x42
twoforty
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by mausermate » 26 Aug 2014, 6:27 pm

hang on....6 seconds is.....tap, tap, tap.....9138 rounds at 3000fps with a 600mm barrel. I think.
Now that's been said, who's coming for a shot?
mausermate
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by twoforty » 27 Aug 2014, 3:01 pm

I just trust what I'm told by the locals here and they know a s**t load more than I ever will about this shooting game :lol:
.243 Win Savage Axis Stainless
Burris Fullfield 4.5-14x42
twoforty
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges