Permitted ammo at Silverdale

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

Permitted ammo at Silverdale

Post by Tubs » 25 Feb 2021, 1:06 pm

Hi all, I'm planning a trip to Silverdale soon, never been before. Will they let me shoot Hornady Steel Match 308 155gn BTHP's and Hornady 223 55gn Spire Points? Cheers
Tubs
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Permitted ammo at Silverdale

Post by Apollo » 25 Feb 2021, 1:34 pm

From their Web Page ....

https://ssaasydney.net/ranges/silverdale-range/

The restrictions are posted, but if you need to book in to attend then why not ask your question at that time and get the information you require.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Tubs » 25 Feb 2021, 1:45 pm

Already checked that page it only says no FMJ, and calibres over 308, so I am covered there.
Tubs
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Apollo » 25 Feb 2021, 1:53 pm

Tubs wrote:Already checked that page it only says no FMJ, and calibres over 308, so I am covered there.

Okay fine. My comment I should have worded a bit better... If you already need to ring to book in then why not ask your question then and get confirmation.

Sorry, I don't know the answer as I have never visited Silverdale nor any Sydney SSAA Range. Only country ranges and then in particular for weekend competition shoots ie 500m/300m/200 yard Rimfire Fly.

I read the page and it looked okay but just to be sure....

Anyways, enjoy your visit.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Tubs » 25 Feb 2021, 1:55 pm

Thanks
Tubs
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by MontyShooter » 25 Feb 2021, 5:39 pm

No fmj projectiles would exclude most ammo.
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 25 Feb 2021, 6:32 pm

MontyShooter wrote:No fmj projectiles would exclude most ammo.

Full Metal jacket is a projectile where the lead core is completely surrounded by a copper jacket. Usually the lead core is wrapped around a copper disc where the centre of the disc is at the tip of the bullet and the lead core may be exposed at the bottom or the centre of the disc is centred at the base of the bullet and the circumference of the disc forms the Metplat. These bullets may have the lead tip exposed or the Metplat may be filled with a plastic polymer like the VMax.
Most projectiles are not FMJ .
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Tubs » 25 Feb 2021, 6:49 pm

Thanks. The 308 steel match rounds are BTHP's not FMJ's ie: https://ammo.com/bullet-type/hollow-poi ... tail-hp-bt .

the Hornady 223 Frontier rounds are spire points which appear to be jacketed but have a soft point so are not FMJ.

The guy at Horsley Park assured me they are fine for range work but wanted to check in case I need to return them.
Tubs
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 25 Feb 2021, 7:02 pm

Not in my experience, most centrefire ammo tends to be hollow-point, soft-point, or ballistic tip these days, you have to go out of your way to find FMJ that isn't milsurp ammo.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 25 Feb 2021, 7:04 pm

SCJ429 wrote:

Full Metal jacket is a projectile where the lead core is completely surrounded by a copper jacket. Usually the lead core is wrapped around a copper disc where the centre of the disc is at the tip of the bullet and the lead core may be exposed at the bottom or the centre of the disc is centred at the base of the bullet and the circumference of the disc forms the Metplat. These bullets may have the lead tip exposed or the Metplat may be filled with a plastic polymer like the VMax.
Most projectiles are not FMJ .

Yep, and FMJ bullets still disrupt hitting steel the same as any other copper-jacketed lead bullet, there is no reason for them to be banned from ranges.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Larry » 26 Feb 2021, 6:27 am

I think the reason they are not allowed at many ranges is due to the risk of ricochet. It is the Police that sets the rules on these type of things. The Army used to certify ranges many moons ago when the shooting sports was under the army, some rules were carried over from there. When the gov saw no further need to support shooters as in like have a trained reservist pool in case of war the shooting sports were handed over to the police for certification.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by Tubs » 26 Feb 2021, 8:35 am

So in summary they should be OK?
Tubs
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales