Range Etiquette

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

Re: Range Etiquette

Post by pilotsignal » 14 Jul 2021, 12:47 pm

Slightly different question I have if you would please?
I've read range rules and range etiquette in this topic, but wonder would it be possible to ask for some officer at the range for a tour around to show the facility as well as do-s and dont-s? I just hate to be lost and do some stupid things at the first visit.
I guess, shooting military guns is quite different from club shooting and I want to start at right page from the day 1.

Also, just out of curiosity, is anyone from you guys are going to visit Hill Top range in Sydney when we out from the lock down? I'd appropriate you allowing me to enjoy your company and be my guide at one of the following weekend.
Thanks.
pilotsignal
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by JohnV » 14 Jul 2021, 1:21 pm

Don't stand around and block shooters access to their reloading setup.
Don't block other peoples cars in , in the parking lot .
Don't touch other peoples guns or gear without permission .
Don't sit at benches you are not shooting on .
Don't take so much gear that you block others from having any space for their gear .
When you finish shooting pack away your stuff and vacate the bench for others .
Be mindful of those waiting for a bench longer than you have been , where possible .
Don't take a gang of spectators to the range that will just get in the way of others .
Don't bump into people at their bench .
When you have fired a shot open the action immediately so others and any range officer can see that .
When moving your gun keep it pointing in a safe direction , like the muzzle up as you walk to the bench then lower down with the gun always pointing up and then down range . Not waving about and pointing at other shooters .
Don't leave your gun on the bench when the range closes for target patching etc.
Don't walk about with a gun with a closed bolt or closed action .
Don't take up two benches with spotting scopes etc. when you only paid for one .
Don't shoot at other peoples targets .
Don't shoot at the target posts or frames .
Don't shoot at any animal or bird life on the range .
Don't use FMJ ammunition as it can ricochet off the range .
Read up on the local range rules as they all vary .
Watch the range while it is being opened for fire just in case someone is still out there . The range officers can't be everywhere .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by DaveZ » 14 Jul 2021, 3:24 pm

JohnV wrote:Don't leave your gun on the bench when the range closes for target patching etc.

I'm only new to range shooting and I know this doesn't happen at the range I've been to. Just wondering what everyone does with their firearms before heading out to get their targets or whatnot, do they seriously all pack everything up?
CZ455 22lr Varmint
Ruger American 243
Located Bundaberg area, looking for property to hunt on.
DaveZ
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by MontyShooter » 14 Jul 2021, 6:35 pm

I'm not sure about that one either. When the range is clear and people are out dealing with their targets, all guns should be on benches in full view. Or at least checked to be clear in open bags down beside the bench.
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by pilotsignal » 14 Jul 2021, 6:55 pm

"Don't use FMJ ammunition as it can ricochet off the range"
is that so? I've thought that FMJ is mostly used for target shooting whereas hollow points for hunting.
pilotsignal
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by JohnV » 14 Jul 2021, 7:10 pm

DaveZ wrote:
JohnV wrote:Don't leave your gun on the bench when the range closes for target patching etc.

I'm only new to range shooting and I know this doesn't happen at the range I've been to. Just wondering what everyone does with their firearms before heading out to get their targets or whatnot, do they seriously all pack everything up?

As I said , range rules vary but some like the guns removed from the bench and laid on the rear tables , action open .
When the range officer walks along to clear the weapons it is easier if they are all on the same side .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by JohnV » 14 Jul 2021, 7:12 pm

pilotsignal wrote:"Don't use FMJ ammunition as it can ricochet off the range"
is that so? I've thought that FMJ is mostly used for target shooting whereas hollow points for hunting.

That would only be for a full bore range not a BR range . Most BR ranges ban FMJ ammo .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by JohnV » 14 Jul 2021, 7:14 pm

JohnV wrote:
DaveZ wrote:

As I said , range rules vary but some like the guns removed from the bench and laid on the rear tables , action open .
When the range officer walks along to clear the weapons it is easier if they are all on the same side . Your reading wrong .Pack up and vacate the bench when your finished shooting
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Apollo » 15 Jul 2021, 1:26 am

In my experience in most of the SSAA Ranges I have shot at, when a cease fire is called you remove the bolt from your rifle, some insist on a chamber flag being inserted (makes it easier for the Range Officer) to then walk the line and declare all safe, Step back behind the yellow line away from the bench, the range is closed and people can go forward to do whatever. Usually someone is left at the benches to ensure nobody goes near a firearm or their bench until everyone returns and the range is then open.

In competitions some of that is varied when time is restrictive in order to get everything done in the time available.

Always "Muzzle UP" when walking around.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by MontyShooter » 15 Jul 2021, 8:56 am

Our range is action open and chamber flag inserted, rather than bolt removed. If you have a stack of loaded mags on the bench, they need to go in your pocket during a ceasefire.
Waving guns around is the biggest mistake I see.
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by DaveZ » 15 Jul 2021, 3:13 pm

JohnV wrote:
DaveZ wrote:

When the range officer walks along to clear the weapons it is easier if they are all on the same side .

That makes sense. Our local range doesn't have any tables other than the benches so explains the difference. Thanks.
CZ455 22lr Varmint
Ruger American 243
Located Bundaberg area, looking for property to hunt on.
DaveZ
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 15 Jul 2021, 3:32 pm

cz515 wrote:
bladeracer wrote:
on_one_wheel wrote:
SCJ429 wrote:
Another no no is going dressed in full Camo. You may be asked to change or be sent home.

I couldn't imagine wearing cammo in public, especially Auscam, I'd feel like a massive w anchor. I'd feel like I'd be insulting our soldiers, it's the whole military imposer thing,
I can't even bring myself to wear my Grandfather's medals for an ANZAC dawn service.

I'm not surprised they're sent home to get changed.

I wear camo every day :-)
I do have some Auscam, but I prefer the Woodland patterns generally - I was issued with Auscam in Army Cadets for bush work, greens for parade work. We used to wear our Cadet uniforms to school all day on Mondays to go to parade those afternoons, straight from school, complete with gold beret.

I don't see why I should have to buy other clothing just to make trips into town, or a range, I dress for my comfort, not other people's.

Genuine military contract clothing is the best, if it works for soldiers in Afghanistan then I'm sure it'll work just fine for me on the farm and in the bush.

I've been wearing Russian army boots for last couple years, and really liking them, so much that I'm ordering another pair to replace them.

But I really doubt anybody sees me and thinks I'm actually in the military.

Hey blade, where do you get the Russian Army boots.

From Russia via Ebay, I can try to dig up the listing if you want it.

I actually ended up trying something new as I was ordering some clothing from a place and checked their boot listings.
https://www.armyandoutdoors.com.au/collections/duty-boots/products/magnum-sf-composite-toe-boots

I'm liking these, but they are shorter than I prefer. The zip is superfluous as unzipping it still doesn't allow me to remove the boot.
I use a single-lace system on all my laced footware (taught by a Vietnam veteran mate when I was a kid) so the Velcro tag is handy to lock the tail of the lace.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by cz515 » 15 Jul 2021, 5:51 pm

Thanks
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by pilotsignal » 15 Jul 2021, 9:13 pm

JohnV wrote:

That would only be for a full bore range not a BR range . Most BR ranges ban FMJ ammo .

Thanks. Btw, what BR means? sorry I am not familiar with this abbreviation :shock:
pilotsignal
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 15 Jul 2021, 9:23 pm

pilotsignal wrote:
JohnV wrote:

Thanks. Btw, what BR means? sorry I am not familiar with this abbreviation :shock:

Benchrest.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by safeshot » 04 Jul 2022, 4:39 pm

:welcome:
I shoot RF bench rest and once you have had your turn,
1. tidy the bench for the next bloke. Just pick up your brass and drop it in the brass bin (if there is one)
2.move your rests out of the way unless the next shooters is to use them.
3. Ask if you wish to use someones rests or any of their kit.
4.Dont talk loudly to others while the next detail is taking their shots.
5. Help set out target frames or help bring them in.
6. Dont sit playing with your bloody phone. Engage with others.
7. At the end of the shoot help sweep up.
"Behave well. Think for the best. Speak kindly."
safeshot
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by MtnMan » 04 Jul 2022, 7:08 pm

6lpz91.jpg
6lpz91.jpg (61.81 KiB) Viewed 3881 times
MtnMan
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 04 Jul 2022, 7:52 pm

MtnMan wrote:
6lpz91.jpg

I wear full camo, including the helmet occasionally :-)
Glad to see the military clubs don't care if you want to wear camo.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Fionn » 04 Jul 2022, 8:23 pm

bladeracer wrote:
MtnMan wrote:
6lpz91.jpg

As long as you don't mix and match different camo, that's just wrong :lol:
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 04 Jul 2022, 9:14 pm

Fionn wrote:
bladeracer wrote:
MtnMan wrote:
6lpz91.jpg

As long as you don't mix and match different camo, that's just wrong :lol:

I never wear the same pattern. Today my trousers were desert cam, T-shirt is Auscam, shirt is '80's British Para, jacket was MarPat Snow, gloves were woodland, scrim is desert, and a woodland ball cap with a woodland balaclava rolled as a beanie over it - didn't need a helmet today :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by mchughcb » 05 Jul 2022, 7:43 am

Make sure when you use the toilets you clean up and wash your hands.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by MontyShooter » 05 Jul 2022, 9:42 am

Whats the etiquette for using rifles that auto eject? I have a rifle that throws hot brass at my neighbour. There is a mesh net for anyone shooting pistol on the rifle range but just one of those. I just build a little wall out of ammo boxes etc but I still manage to throw brass a few benches over.
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 05 Jul 2022, 2:52 pm

MontyShooter wrote:Whats the etiquette for using rifles that auto eject? I have a rifle that throws hot brass at my neighbour. There is a mesh net for anyone shooting pistol on the rifle range but just one of those. I just build a little wall out of ammo boxes etc but I still manage to throw brass a few benches over.

I would mention it to the RO and ask for a position at the right end of the line.
But even some bolts and levers can hurl the brass around.
The mesh nets are a good option, especially if you're shooting a variety of firearms.
Easy to make your own out of shade cloth.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by safeshot » 21 Aug 2022, 2:50 pm

:welcome: We shoot .22 BR so its the deal to pick up your brass when you are finished your detail. If you are sharing a bench then move your stuff out the way for the next shooter.
If they have their own seat then move yours out the way.
These little courtesies move the shoot along.:thumbsup
safeshot
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by safeshot » 21 Aug 2022, 2:54 pm

:welcome:
1. We shoot .22 benchrest.
2. remove your brass at the end of each detail and put them in your brass bin for recycling.
3. If you are sharing a bench then move your stuff out the way for the next guy and vice versa.
4. If you have a specific seat then move it out the way when the next guy is to shoot unless they are happy to use it.
5. When talking to to others who are off-detail, keep your voice/s down.
These simple courtesies move the shoot along and make for a smoother operation.
:thumbsup:

double entry ..oops sorry.
safeshot
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by Billo » 23 Aug 2022, 2:12 pm

If loud talking puts you off shooting then maybe a rifle range isn't the place place you, every 4th rifle I see at the range these days has a muzzle brake
22lr, 20 Hornady Hornet, 6mm ARC, 270 Win, 308 Win, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 S&W
Billo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by MontyShooter » 23 Aug 2022, 5:25 pm

Yeh pretty sure my lap mag drowns out any loud talking.
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 23 Aug 2022, 9:18 pm

MontyShooter wrote:Yeh pretty sure my lap mag drowns out any loud talking.

Why would your pea shooter drown out any talking? I was next to a bloke with a 375 Cheytac and my consistent swearing during the comp managed to put him off. I always talk during comps, there is nothing in the rules to stop you. :twisted:
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Gamerancher » 23 Aug 2022, 11:59 pm

Well done with the piss!ng comp boys, you scared the O.P off ages ago, hasn't been on the site since , but obviously your testicles grew...
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 24 Aug 2022, 9:59 pm

Gamerancher wrote:Well done with the piss!ng comp boys, you scared the O.P off ages ago, hasn't been on the site since , but obviously your testicles grew...

The thread started ages ago and went onto several tangents. Think the OP got the info he wanted. No need to fret.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

PreviousNext

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges