Advice Needed - Getting into competitive shooting

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

Advice Needed - Getting into competitive shooting

Post by Woden » 16 Jul 2021, 1:59 pm

I just scored my NSW PPL. I'm really enjoying pistol shooting and doing quite well. I would like to get involved in local and state competitions. I have only used rimfire pistols. I would be happy to stay with rimfire purely for the low cost in ammo but am open to moving to centrefire if I have to.

Can anyone give me advice or clarification on any of the following?

1) Most pistol disciplines seem to be centrefire. Is this correct?

2) The disciplines that may suit me seem to be Action Pistol, Service Pistol and WA 1500. I enjoy shooting Metallic Silhouette with a rifle but I don't think I'd have the skills for this event with a pistol. Do I need to be graded before entering any of these?

3) If I get into centrefire I'm guessing the next step would be to get into reloading to save $$ and personalize my loads. Is this true or should I just stick with factory loads?

4) Are gumbies like me tolerated at pistol competitions or do you have to be a crack shot?

Looking forward to any help or advice with my questions.
DaZ
Woden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Advice Needed - Getting into competitive shooting

Post by Bugman » 16 Jul 2021, 5:24 pm

Have a look at my reply to your other post. Also, I take it you do belong to a Pistol Club and here is where you start talking to other members of the matches they take part in, what they use, etc. I think (depending on the club) that you will be surprised how much help may be available from within.
AND your not a Gumbie. We all had to start somewhere.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges