Good results with load one day, bad the next

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

Good results with load one day, bad the next

Post by Joom » 05 Aug 2013, 1:12 pm

I've been working away on reloading for my .308 win and have gone through half a dozen types of bullets to find what works for me.

After my last shoot I ended the day on what I thought was the winning load for my rifle. Some Sierra Game Kings which I could just about shoot in a touching group. I'd found the handloads that works for me, I thought.

Anyway, went out this weekend with the same Game King loads and a few others to knock the last loads off the list and do a few more groups with my Game Kings. This time around I shot 2 groups 4-5 times the size of the last one with the same Game King loads :?

Thinking they were fine I only took out 10 rounds so after 2 groups I didn't have any ammo left with this load to test so had to call it there.

A bit frustrated/confused why they shot great the first time out, and lousy the second time. I didn't get many shots out the second time I know, going again soon to test again and will take more ammo, but any thoughts why such a change in performance second time round?

Cheers.
Remington 700 and... Who needs another rifle?
Joom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: Good results with load one day, bad the next

Post by Blackened » 05 Aug 2013, 1:23 pm

Assuming the loads are correct, sounds like a technique problem. Change in shooting position, rests, or whatever that was putting you off.

Any chance the second batch of loads weren't correct? or where they definitely the same as the rounds that shot well originally?
Blackened

New South Wales

Post by Joom » 05 Aug 2013, 1:32 pm

Absolutely the same load. I did 50 rounds with the same powder charge, didn't touch a thing in between.
Joom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Lorgar » 05 Aug 2013, 1:46 pm

Joom wrote:Absolutely the same load. I did 50 rounds with the same powder charge, didn't touch a thing in between.

Where did you take the rounds from in your reloading processes. All from the start/end of the batch? Or did you pick them randomly?

The reason I ask is if something is loose in your powder measure you could be getting a little more/less powder if something moves every time you pull the lever for one powder charge. A little bump changing the measure perhaps?
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Joom » 05 Aug 2013, 2:02 pm

All shot in the order they were seated.

I weigh the powder every 20 rounds to make sure all is well, no problems with anything changing on the measure. Powder weight is consistent.
Joom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Aster » 05 Aug 2013, 2:25 pm

Sounding more and more like problems with your shooting on the day Joom.

I've done the same thing... Shot 1" groups at the range, then gone shooting for bunnies and been shooting (missing) in what would have been 5" groups because I was uncomfortable laying on rough ground or was just having an off day.
See you on the firing line.
Aster

-

Post by Lorgar » 05 Aug 2013, 2:31 pm

Aster wrote:Sounding more and more like problems with your shooting on the day Joom.

I've done the same thing... Shot 1" groups at the range, then gone shooting for bunnies and been shooting (missing) in what would have been 5" groups because I was uncomfortable laying on rough ground or was just having an off day.

Yup.

Don't know what your setup was on those days Joom, but 2 difference settings could have effected your accuracy too.

Shooting from a bipod on a hard surface.
A bipod on soft surface
Cold still day
Hot windy day
Comfortable shooting position
Slightly un-comfortable shooting postion

And so on... Each giving different results...

I'd take all your loads down to the range, take something soft like a square of carpet or a jumper to fold over a few times to put under your bipod and make the surface softer than those concrete benches so there is less jump, get as comfortable as possible and take your time doing 4-5 groups.

Then you'll get a feel for how the loads perform.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges