Wind

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

Re: Wind

Post by in2anity » 18 Nov 2021, 10:44 am

bladeracer wrote:Even the 40gn VMax still requires wind allowance at 200m. A 10mph crosswind will push the bullet 60mm sideways at 200m, and 90mm at 300m (I don't recommend the. 204 much further than 300m). But shooting at small targets, like rabbits, cats and fox heads, it really just means if there's a breeze you hold along the side of the target rather than right on it. If you don't want to be bothered with wind, load up an 80gn ELDM in .223, or a 147gn ELDM in a 6.5x55mm or Creedmoor.

I use the Berger 40gr HPBT varmint and given it's only cold-bore grouping into 0.75moa, 60mm is not much wind deflection in my books, especially considering I rarely shoot from a rest (even in the sticks). Granted you wouldn't bank on headshotting rabbits at 200m first attempt - but I'm really not doing that, more like "center of chest" holds on thin-skinned game like goats/foxes/pigs out to 200m. TBH I'm not nearly as experienced with hunting as you are Blade, so I take your point - and yes, there is a big difference between 200m and 300m when it comes to windage. Nevertheless the 204 is a capable target round even out to 500m - more capable than my beloved 223 service rifle running my favorite 69grSMK load. But those two discardable sighting shots are often crucial to obtaining your zero on the day - that's a fundamental difference between target shooting and hunting, you are allowed 2 errors with target shooting :lol:
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Previous

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges