New SSAA Range in SA

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

New SSAA Range in SA

Post by aam » 24 Jan 2022, 7:20 pm

I'm sure this is old news but it's recent news to me.
Any truth in that SSAA purchased land other side of Murray Bridge?
Possibly with a 1000 meter range with steel and/or electronic targets?

If anyone has any info would love to hear it.
aam
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Re: New SSAA Range in SA

Post by Johnno » 24 Jan 2022, 8:54 pm

They have or had their own FB page last I checked. Not a lot of action or comments back then.
Most of the people go to the shooting ranges near Monarto near Murray Bridge, several clubs active there.
Johnno
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by No1Mk3 » 25 Jan 2022, 12:02 am

G'day aam,
You not getting mixed up with Murrey Bridge Rifle Club who have re-opened their 1000 yard range with electronic targets? They are not SSAA but SARA.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Hardcast » 25 Jan 2022, 11:37 am

Well there has been work on a property near Tungkillo, and yes out to 1000 yds. There was some talk of a mile. Aparently quite a bit of work has been done over the last few years with help of a local Earth Mover.
Then, apparently a nieghbour changed his / her mind and work was halted. Greenies I believe who are involved with a Windfarm, have renigged on an original agreement.
Havn't heard anything for 12 months. ??
Hardcast
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by aam » 21 Feb 2022, 9:23 pm

Got an e-mail from SSAA which mat be of interest.

New SSAA (SA) Allambi Shooting Complex update

This project has been moving along at a cracking pace due to grant deadlines and our eagerness to have our very own, SSAA (SA) owned dirt, developed in to an exciting first class multi-disciplined shooting complex.

Our range designs and range safety templates have been submitted to SAPOL Firearms Branch for in principle approval This includes the very exciting 1 mile range (1609.3 meters).

Plans and budgets have almost been finalised with our range design sub-committee for Phase #1

Contractors are standing by for the green light from local Council and I've started researching my next rifle build for the 1 mile range.

More news as it comes to light so watch this space.

James Reeves
Executive Officer.

Looking forward to this new range.
aam
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 21 Feb 2022, 9:30 pm

Hopefully they're planning on making it compliant for .50 BMG ....

It's a shame about Tungkillo, but personally I never held high hopes for its success given the available funding (I recall they were looking for donations to aid in making it wheelchair friendly) and that the whole area is surrounded by hobby farms.... it only takes a small noisy minority to ruin clubs.
Last edited by on_one_wheel on 21 Feb 2022, 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by aam » 21 Feb 2022, 9:38 pm

I'm not sure but I think these are the co- ordinates for Allambi.

35°00'51.0"S 139°28'15.3"E
aam
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by aam » 21 Feb 2022, 9:41 pm

Yes, that would be a big bonus for us competition shooters
aam
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by aam » 21 Feb 2022, 9:52 pm

One of the things I like about this upcoming range and I’m sure others will agree, is you don’t have to join three or four different clubs to pursue the various disciplines.
Allambi could be a one stop shop.
aam
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by No1Mk3 » 21 Feb 2022, 9:57 pm

Sounds like great news, would really attract Long Rang Rifle shooters looking for that ultimate challenge. Would make the drive over myself to try my hand at 1500m.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 22 Feb 2022, 4:41 am

They make it sound like they don't have any ranges in SA, but I know at very least there's a SSAA pistol club here in Goolwa
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 22 Feb 2022, 8:47 am

bigpete wrote:They make it sound like they don't have any ranges in SA, but I know at very least there's a SSAA pistol club here in Goolwa
There's almost too many to list
Para, wingfield, Hahndorf, Mount Barker, Upper Hermitage, Monarto, Noarlunga, Lower Light, and the list goes on and on and on
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 22 Feb 2022, 10:57 am

No1Mk3 wrote:Sounds like great news, would really attract Long Rang Rifle shooters looking for that ultimate challenge. Would make the drive over myself to try my hand at 1500m.

I'd make the trip myself.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by aam » 13 Jul 2022, 8:55 pm

Just got this e-mail,

looks promising.

Dear SA Members,

It is with great jubilation that I write to you all with an important update on our stunning 1500 acre (approx.) property, named Allambi, that team has all been working on, so hard.

To give you a reminder, as it’s been a while, Allambi is an easy run up the freeway, just 105km or if you prefer, just 1 hour 15 minutes from the centre of the CBD.

This picturesque parcel of land has had a rich history of uses over the generations and most recently, cereal cropping and wool production. The gentle undulating landscape had been partially cleared of its native vegetation a long time ago to make way for agriculture.

When the previous owners decided to hang up their hats and sell, I was informed by one of the many land agents we’d been dealing with, looking for a suitable property to futureproof our sport, that this parcel was about to be advertised. It sounded like it had potential. So, when our State President David Handyside and I promptly arranged to view the property, we were both equally blown away (no pun intended) with her stunning vistas and natural beauty, the balance of native vegetation hosting a diverse range of species for the budding botanist, also equally importantly, the vast open/cropped spaces for the exciting development of shooting ranges.

On balance, there is approximately 715 acres of arable land (for potential shooting ranges), 735 acres of native vegetation, of which 475 acres on our eastern boundary is protected under Heritage Agreement with resident Malleefowl (currently listed under the Nationals Parks & Wildlife Act as Vulnerable in SA).

This property is a fantastic opportunity for our Association to not only futureproof our shooting sport in South Australia but also to further demonstrate some of our core conservation values (by means of feral and overabundant herbivore control) with how we can study, protect and improve the land for future generations. Something we can all be proud to be a part of. Who knows, perhaps this development will be a future meeting place for gun toting rednecks and tree huggers (I use these colloquialisms with tongue in cheek of course) alike, to break down some old barriers, bury hatchets and find some common ground, educate each other and understand how we can all be part of the solution to sustainably take care of our country. This may reach a broader community and therefore potentially attract new membership and funding for projects like this one.

Just last week, we reached a huge milestone with our vision as we finally received the rubber stamp of approval for our development application with the Murray Bridge Council.

As you can well imagine, this was no small feat with referrals to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), public notifications, agreements in principle with SAPOL Firearms Branch on our range construction and designs, various Engineers, Planners, Surveyors, consultation with Landcare groups, more surveys, tendering for contractors, many meetings and site visits and so on and so forth.

We feel like we’ve come so far, but in reality, this is just the beginning. Unfortunately, there’s no time for celebrating yet as this undertaking has only just started to gain traction. We can however, tell you that’s it’s a huge relief to have all the important boxes ticked so we can keep moving forward and at least give you some good news. Earthworks have just commenced, orders for building materials have been placed and now we really get busy building.

If you’re still reading this far down the page, I will assume you have spare time on your hands or you’re probably searching for the answer to the question everyone is dying to know. "So when can we come and start shooting” right? Sorry, it’s not that simple. It's not that we don’t want to tell you, we honestly just don’t know how long it will realistically take to construct with our given resources and then get the final approvals back to commence operations. Don’t despair, just as soon as we know, we WILL let you know.

Happy shooting,
James Reeves
Executive Officer SSAA (SA) Inc
aam
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by aam » 17 Mar 2023, 6:48 pm

Progress at Allambi Shooting Complex

Range 2 is a dedicated 100m and 200m range that will cater for many disciplines and matches as well as the majority of visitors wanting to zero firearms before a hunting trip and to do load development.
This 60 metre firing line will accommodate 40 benches.
As you can see pictured above, the shelter frame is up and the roof should be on by the end of the week. It's certainly starting to look like something now.
Unfortunately the earthworks for the 'range proper' has been delayed yet again due to the state of emergency and sheer number of levee banks that needed to be built in a hurry along the Murray River flood planes. Now they are being deconstructed as a matter of priority. We've been promised more earthmoving to continue in a few weeks time so fingers and toes crossed we'll be able to come back to you with more progress updates.
Attachments
251e0f22-249d-b388-46de-1de2a546f8c6.jpg
Update from SSAA
251e0f22-249d-b388-46de-1de2a546f8c6.jpg (560.7 KiB) Viewed 2690 times
aam
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Billo » 17 Mar 2023, 8:07 pm

What beautiful sight to see, looks like a great facility !

Keep the updates coming :thumbsup: :drinks:
22lr, 20 Hornady Hornet, 6mm ARC, 270 Win, 308 Win, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 S&W
Billo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by aam » 26 Oct 2023, 5:15 pm

Some more good news.
Below is a copy of the survey. Of interest is the various disciplines on offer.

I've yet to fill out the survey, which I'll do in a little while.

Survey
ALLAMBI SHOOTING COMPLEX

EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST OPEN - PLUS HAVE YOUR SAY

Would you like to be a Founding Member of the new SSAA(SA) Allambi Shooting Complex? Situated on Boundary Rd, Ettrick Sth Aust, it’s just over an hours drive from the CBD. If the answer is yes, we want to hear from you.

In this short survey, we want you to tell us your needs, expectations and desires for this brand new opportunity.

We are also seeking expressions of interest to form a Founders Committee of Management. If you have something to offer and want to get involved with the growth and development of our sport at this awesome new facility, then again, we want to hear from you.

Phase 1 of construction is now complete and we are getting ready to open. below is a list of disciplines and activities we have initially made available and some are for future development in Phase 2.

If you’ve been keeping up to date, you’ll know we will have a 100m, 200m, 1000m and shotgun range.

Phase 2 of construction will be another opportunity to add more ranges, disciplines and activities. Please tell us what you would be keen to get involved with.
Survey
ALLAMBI SHOOTING COMPLEX

EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST OPEN - PLUS HAVE YOUR SAY

Would you like to be a Founding Member of the new SSAA(SA) Allambi Shooting Complex? Situated on Boundary Rd, Ettrick Sth Aust, it’s just over an hours drive from the CBD. If the answer is yes, we want to hear from you.

In this short survey, we want you to tell us your needs, expectations and desires for this brand new opportunity.

We are also seeking expressions of interest to form a Founders Committee of Management. If you have something to offer and want to get involved with the growth and development of our sport at this awesome new facility, then again, we want to hear from you.

Phase 1 of construction is now complete and we are getting ready to open. below is a list of disciplines and activities we have initially made available and some are for future development in Phase 2.

If you’ve been keeping up to date, you’ll know we will have a 100m, 200m, 1000m and shotgun range.

Phase 2 of construction will be another opportunity to add more ranges, disciplines and activities. Please tell us what you would be keen to get involved with.

SSAA (SA) Allambi Shooting Complex - Ettrick, South Australia
First name*
Last name*
Your best email contact so we can keep you up to date on Allambi?*
email@example.com
Subscribe me to the new Allambi email list
Are you currently a SSAA member?*
Yes
No
Please click on all of the disciplines or activities that specifically interest you.*
King of the mile
Long range precision
Precision rifle
Benchrest
Big game rifle
Lever action
Muzzle loading
SSAA German ring target
Single action
Field rifle, 3 positional, Scoped air rifle and NRA any sight
Combined services
Fly shoot
Extended range rimfire metallic silhouette
Precision rimfire challenge
Handgun metallic silhouette
Lever action metallic silhouette
Zeroing/sighting in and load development
Shotgun - 5 stand
Shotgun - down the line
Shotgun - Trap
Shotgun - Skeet
Shotgun - low field - high field
Shotgun - sporting clays
Black powder cartridge
Target pistol
Practical shooting
Steel challenge
Action match
Law enforcement activities
WA1500
Air rifle field target
Air pistol metallic silhouette
SSAA Australian Police Service
Gallery rifle
Other
Are you keen to become a Founding Member of the SSAA(SA) Allambi Shooting Complex?*
Yes
No
Other

Would you be interested in forming part of the Founders Committee of Management or be a discipline captain?*
Yes
No
Other

What day or days would you prefer to use the complex. Tick all that apply*
Saturday
Sunday
Wednesday
Friday
Other

If camping facilities were provided, would you want to make use of them and stay for the weekend?
Yes
No
Maybe

If there was an option to pay a premium and book the homestead accommodation (1 or up to 3 bedrooms), would you want to stay for the weekend?
Yes
No
Maybe
Other

Is there something you want to comment about or something else you would like to see us offer at the SSAA (SA) Allambi property

Are you currently a SSAA member?*
Yes
No

Please click on all of the disciplines or activities that specifically interest you.*

King of the mile
Long range precision
Precision rifle
Benchrest
Big game rifle
Lever action
Muzzle loading
SSAA German ring target
Single action
Field rifle, 3 positional, Scoped air rifle and NRA any sight
Combined services
Fly shoot
Extended range rimfire metallic silhouette
Precision rimfire challenge
Handgun metallic silhouette
Lever action metallic silhouette
Zeroing/sighting in and load development
Shotgun - 5 stand
Shotgun - down the line
Shotgun - Trap
Shotgun - Skeet
Shotgun - low field - high field
Shotgun - sporting clays
Black powder cartridge
Target pistol
Practical shooting
Steel challenge
Action match
Law enforcement activities
WA1500
Air rifle field target
Air pistol metallic silhouette
SSAA Australian Police Service
Gallery rifle
Other

Are you keen to become a Founding Member of the SSAA(SA) Allambi Shooting Complex?*
Yes
No
Other

Would you be interested in forming part of the Founders Committee of Management or be a discipline captain?*
Yes
No
Other

What day or days would you prefer to use the complex. Tick all that apply*
Saturday
Sunday
Wednesday
Friday
Other

If camping facilities were provided, would you want to make use of them and stay for the weekend?
Yes
No
Maybe

If there was an option to pay a premium and book the homestead accommodation (1 or up to 3 bedrooms), would you want to stay for the weekend?
Yes
No
Maybe
Other

Is there something you want to comment about or something else you would like to see us offer at the SSAA (SA) Allambi property
aam
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by aam » 28 Dec 2023, 8:23 pm

Some more good news.
I've copied and pasted part of the e-mail.

We look forward to many new developments early in the new year, including but not limited to the grand opening of our new State range at the Allambi property, a new collectors club in the Barossa Valley and possibly Port Lincoln, also major upgrades are nearly complete at the Moonta range including their beautiful new Clubrooms.

Some exciting news from the north with our Coober Pedy Shooters Club. We've finally got the first major approval over the line to build Australia's longest proper and gazetted (non military) range out to 2000m. With our combined experience building new ranges, this should happen for us fairly quickly. So a big congratulations to all those involved with making this happen from the club, State and the community so far.
aam
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 28 Dec 2023, 8:54 pm

I wonder if Coober Pedy will be certified for the big stuff from .338 lap and up?
Might be time to put in a PTA for a howitzer 8-)
Screenshot_20231228_214048_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20231228_214048_Chrome.jpg (279.51 KiB) Viewed 1069 times
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by aam » 22 Jan 2024, 6:40 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:I wonder if Coober Pedy will be certified for the big stuff from .338 lap and up?
Might be time to put in a PTA for a howitzer 8-)
Screenshot_20231228_214048_Chrome.jpg

I reckon if I stood next to that when it goes off I would get a blood nose. :D
aam
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by aam » 22 Jan 2024, 6:59 pm

20231229_133440.jpg
20231229_133440.jpg (174.76 KiB) Viewed 646 times
20231229_133415.jpg
20231229_133415.jpg (208.67 KiB) Viewed 646 times
20231229_133410.jpg
Went to the new range to have a sticky beak.
20231229_133410.jpg (121.02 KiB) Viewed 646 times
aam
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 22 Jan 2024, 9:20 pm

If only they were as good at lobbying politicians and fighting for ALL shooters.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges