Use of .22 WMR and shotgun in SSAA disciplines

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

Use of .22 WMR and shotgun in SSAA disciplines

Post by darkspartan2022 » 06 Jun 2022, 7:06 pm

Evening all,

I've been looking at the SSAA disciplines here in ACT. Anyone know if I could use my CZ515 .22 WMR for any of the disciplines? It seems that most, if not all, require 22LR.

Also, In terms of practical shotgun shooting discipline. Any idea what a straight pull would come under? I could only see 'Break-action, Lever-action, Pump-action and Semi-automatic (where legal)'. https://www.ssaa.org.au/disciplines/all ... -shooting/. Very keen to get into practical shooting discipline but not clay shooting.

Really keen to try 3-gun courses but seems that isn't much of a thing here in AUS. :(

Thanks for any thoughts!
darkspartan2022
Recruit
Recruit

Australian Capital Territory

Re: Use of .22 WMR and shotgun in SSAA disciplines

Post by bladeracer » 06 Jun 2022, 8:44 pm

darkspartan2022 wrote:Evening all,

I've been looking at the SSAA disciplines here in ACT. Anyone know if I could use my CZ515 .22 WMR for any of the disciplines? It seems that most, if not all, require 22LR.

Also, In terms of practical shotgun shooting discipline. Any idea what a straight pull would come under? I could only see 'Break-action, Lever-action, Pump-action and Semi-automatic (where legal)'. https://www.ssaa.org.au/disciplines/all ... -shooting/. Very keen to get into practical shooting discipline but not clay shooting.

Really keen to try 3-gun courses but seems that isn't much of a thing here in AUS. :(

Thanks for any thoughts!

Yes, I think you chose a cartridge, and an action perhaps, that don't fit into many existing disciplines, at least not under SSAA's purview. You might do better emailing all the clubs relatively local to you and asking what they might have happening that you would fit into.

Lever-Action Metallic Silhouette should allow WMR in the rimfire class, perhaps even the Pistol Calibre class, but you might find some clubs choose not to allow it for their own reasons.

No idea on the straight-pull guns, you might want to get some clarification in writing from SSAA, but a club still might choose not to allow it.

Personally, I would suggest visiting the local clubs during their competition days, see what they do, maybe even have a go, and if something appeals to you, buy a firearm that suits it.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by No1_49er » 06 Jun 2022, 9:48 pm

bladeracer wrote:Lever-Action Metallic Silhouette should allow WMR in the rimfire class, perhaps even the Pistol Calibre class, but you might find some clubs choose not to allow it for their own reasons.

For the SSAA Rifle Metallic Silhouette Rules, go here: -
https://www.ssaa.org.au/wp-content/uplo ... tion_1.pdf

Specifically, for Smallbore Lever Action Silhouette, 22Mag is not permitted. Go to pages 11 & 12. 22Mag is permissible for Pistol Cartridge LAS

The SSAA rules are derived from the NRA rules which also does not permit the use of 22Mag in the smallbore class.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by darkspartan2022 » 07 Jun 2022, 12:26 am

Thanks! That's really helpful.

This is a dumb question but would a bolt action lever release rimfire rifle be considered 'lever action'?
darkspartan2022
Recruit
Recruit

Post by bladeracer » 07 Jun 2022, 12:45 am

darkspartan2022 wrote:Thanks! That's really helpful.

This is a dumb question but would a bolt action lever release rimfire rifle be considered 'lever action'?

As far as I'm aware, in the states that allow them they're simply classed as bolt-actions. Lever-action competitions are generally aimed at the old-school lever-action designs, the newer rotating-bolt types are not allowed.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by No1_49er » 07 Jun 2022, 7:22 am

darkspartan2022 wrote:This is a dumb question but would a bolt action lever release rimfire rifle be considered 'lever action'?

Are you asking specifically about the likes of Savage A22R and CZ515 lever-release? In which case, No.

For Smallbore LAS, you have to read and understand this rule: -
3.12.7 (c) Smallbore Lever Action Silhouette Rifle: Any Lever Action rifle with a tubular magazine - the rifle shall be chambered for only the .22” calibre short, long, or long rifle cartridge.
EXCEPTION: Tubular magazine Pump and Semi-auto Rimfire rifles chambered for the .22” calibre short, long, or long rifle, may be used if allowed by legislation.

This caveat takes us back to the intent of the rifle class, i.e., see Rule 3.12., hence the tubular magazine. A BSA Ralock would fit the bill, but not a BSA Armatic.
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by darkspartan2022 » 08 Jun 2022, 12:04 am

No1_49er wrote:
darkspartan2022 wrote:This is a dumb question but would a bolt action lever release rimfire rifle be considered 'lever action'?

Are you asking specifically about the likes of Savage A22R and CZ515 lever-release? In which case, No.

3.12.7 (c) Smallbore Lever Action Silhouette Rifle: Any Lever Action rifle with a tubular magazine - the rifle shall be chambered for only the .22” calibre short, long, or long rifle cartridge.
EXCEPTION: Tubular magazine Pump and Semi-auto Rimfire rifles chambered for the .22” calibre short, long, or long rifle, may be used if allowed by legislation.

This caveat takes us back to the intent of the rifle class, i.e., see Rule 3.12., hence the tubular magazine. A BSA Ralock would fit the bill, but not a BSA Armatic.

Yeah, was talking about the CZ515 lever-release. Seems like I'm a bit out of luck finding disciplines for it. :crazy:
darkspartan2022
Recruit
Recruit

Post by bladeracer » 08 Jun 2022, 5:59 am

darkspartan2022 wrote:Yeah, was talking about the CZ515 lever-release. Seems like I'm a bit out of luck finding disciplines for it. :crazy:

It should be considered a bolt-action by most clubs. Contact the clubs you want to shoot at and ask them.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by No1_49er » 08 Jun 2022, 6:09 am

darkspartan2022 wrote:
No1_49er wrote:

Yeah, was talking about the CZ515 lever-release. Seems like I'm a bit out of luck finding disciplines for it. :crazy:

There's still Rimfire Silhouette and Field Rifle which you can participate in.

IIRC, a 40 from 40 was shot, in relatively recent times (in the US), by a competitor with a 10/22 type rifle.

Depending on your stock dimensions etc., it is possible that your rifle might even fit into 'Hunter Class', in which case there may be four disciplines available to you.
Again, check your rule books, and if you have any doubts, ask.
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 08 Jun 2022, 6:20 am

No1_49er wrote:IIRC, a 40 from 40 was shot, in relatively recent times (in the US), by a competitor with a 10/22 type rifle.

I saw a 40/40 shot last week on one of the US RMS forums, with some video - pretty amazing.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 08 Jun 2022, 11:34 am

You can't use .22WMR for rimfire metallic silhouette, .22LR only.
It doesn't qualify for Lever action silhouette (pistol cartridge) either, the only place in the discipline that allows .22WMR, direct from the SSAA rulebook:
4.2.2 Pistol Cartridge Cowboy Lever Action Silhouette: Any Lever Action rifle with a
tubular magazine
. A rimmed pistol cartridge loaded with a round or flat nosed
bullet must be used, i.e. 25-20, 32-20, 38's, 357 Magnum, 38-40, 44's, 44-40, 45
Colt, 45 Long Colt, .22 Magnum, .22 long rifle.

sorry, you are stuck with a hunter and plinker.
Last edited by Gamerancher on 09 Jun 2022, 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by darkspartan2022 » 09 Jun 2022, 12:05 am

Thanks for all the responses above!

Gamerancher wrote:You can't use .22WMR for rimfire metallic silhouette, .22LR only.
It doesn't qualify for Lever action silhouette (pistol cartridge) either, the only discipline that allows .22WMR, direct from the SSAA rulebook:
4.2.2 Pistol Cartridge Cowboy Lever Action Silhouette: Any Lever Action rifle with a
tubular magazine
. A rimmed pistol cartridge loaded with a round or flat nosed
bullet must be used, i.e. 25-20, 32-20, 38's, 357 Magnum, 38-40, 44's, 44-40, 45
Colt, 45 Long Colt, .22 Magnum, .22 long rifle.

sorry, you are stuck with a hunter and plinker.

Do you mean stuck with a rifle for hunting and plinking only? Or do you mean the hunter class referred to above?
darkspartan2022
Recruit
Recruit

Post by Gamerancher » 09 Jun 2022, 8:50 am

I'll quote myself, "You can't use .22WMR for rimfire metallic silhouette, .22LR only."

So,...hunting small furry critters.

They do allow them in Field Rifle competition, I don't participate in that, only silhouette, but here's what their rulebook states:

SECTION 3: RIFLE SPECIFICATIONS
3.1 Centrefire Field Rifles may be of any calibre and chambered for any centrefire
factory or wildcat cartridge, any type of action that is safe can be used, bolt,
lever, slide, self loading or single shot etc. The weight limit is 5.0 kilograms
including: bolt, empty magazine, sights and all accessories except sling (see
Section 3.6).
3.2 Rimfire Field Rifles shall have the same specifications as centrefire rifles except
that they must be chambered only for the .22LR rimfire cartridge and not weigh
more than 4.0 kilograms including: bolt, empty magazine, sights and all
accessories except sling (see Section 3.6). Note: Rimfire "Extruder" type barrels
are not permitted for use in this class.
3.3 Magnum Rimfire Field Rifles shall have the same specifications as centrefire
rifles except they must be chambered for rimfire cartridges, other then .22LR,
long and short.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges