SSAA Belmont Restrictions

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

SSAA Belmont Restrictions

Post by JesseW97 » 08 Jul 2022, 3:33 pm

Hey there, just wondering if anyone has any info on when the range restrictions for caliber at the SSAA Belmont Range(QLD) will be finished with? I'm referring to these:
https://cdn.revolutionise.com.au/cups/s ... adsnvu.pdf
https://cdn.revolutionise.com.au/cups/s ... 6epdfk.pdf

It is very frustrating not being able to go and shoot my 22-250 because of these restrictions and I never get to use my rifle unless I can manage travel out to Kingaroy (Got a mate who gives me permission to shoot on his property) which is a 3-4 hour trip for me and I don't have a drivers licence. I currently am waiting on a 308 to get shipped but who knows how long that will take.

These restrictions are extremely frustrating and just wondering if anyone else has been affected by them and if anyone has info on how long its going to take until these restrictions will be over?
Gamo Black Night - .177
Tikka T3x Lite Stainless - .22-250
Tikka T3x Roughtech Ember - .308
CZ Shadow 2 SA - 9mm
JesseW97
Private
Private

Queensland

Re: SSAA Belmont Restrictions

Post by Larry » 08 Jul 2022, 4:57 pm

I would be surprised if they are ever removed. Similar restrictions are pretty common on a lot of ranges.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by JesseW97 » 08 Jul 2022, 5:11 pm

Larry wrote:I would be surprised if they are ever removed. Similar restrictions are pretty common on a lot of ranges.

I hope not, wont be as much of an issue once I get my hands on the 308 as that is allowed there just a shame that these restrictions are in place. Ontop of that with them saying if your firearm is to loud you may be asked to leave the range. Wouldnt matter if they made suppressors available to all shooters but thats an argument for another day.
Gamo Black Night - .177
Tikka T3x Lite Stainless - .22-250
Tikka T3x Roughtech Ember - .308
CZ Shadow 2 SA - 9mm
JesseW97
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 08 Jul 2022, 5:46 pm

JesseW97 wrote:Hey there, just wondering if anyone has any info on when the range restrictions for caliber at the SSAA Belmont Range(QLD) will be finished with? I'm referring to these:
https://cdn.revolutionise.com.au/cups/s ... adsnvu.pdf
https://cdn.revolutionise.com.au/cups/s ... 6epdfk.pdf

It is very frustrating not being able to go and shoot my 22-250 because of these restrictions and I never get to use my rifle unless I can manage travel out to Kingaroy (Got a mate who gives me permission to shoot on his property) which is a 3-4 hour trip for me and I don't have a drivers licence. I currently am waiting on a 308 to get shipped but who knows how long that will take.

These restrictions are extremely frustrating and just wondering if anyone else has been affected by them and if anyone has info on how long its going to take until these restrictions will be over?

If the restriction is 3500fps muzzle velocity can you just reduce your practice loads to 3500fps?
A 100gn bullet in a long-barrel .308 can probably make over 3500fps, I got 3300fps out of a Mosin Nagant with the 100gn XTP and zero pressure signs.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 08 Jul 2022, 6:07 pm

As I read the restrictions it is only for 50g Factory ammo in 22-250 due to velocity. A lot of factory 60g will be sub-3500 and if it is printed on the box or you have a spec. sheet you should be OK to shoot. Check with the range as to calibre restriction or ammo restriction.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by No1_49er » 08 Jul 2022, 8:35 pm

A good reason to push for the use of sound moderators???
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 09 Jul 2022, 8:35 am

The State Gov & council have been granting permissions to build residential housing ever closer to the Belmont range, completely ignoring the 'not within 1.5km' guideline.
As a result noise complaints have been increasing steadily so the club has had to respond with multiple measures, most of which are firearm and caliber restrictions to try to remove the ones that create most noise. Some of the restrictions are just showcasing to make it look like the club is doing 'something', even if they make no difference.

The main problem for the club is a sound dB meter near some of those houses (the ones on hills) says that they are exceeding their permitted noise levels, if that continues the club could be shut down completely. Moderators will not happen unless there is a massive surge of common sense by politicians but the other party's media companies will tear into any government that allows them.

The current restrictions are far more likely to be tightened than they are to be eased and I think this trend will be increasingly common in urban ranges.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Larry » 09 Jul 2022, 10:10 am

The velocity and energy limits are normally introduced when residential or other uses of the "zone behind the stop butts" is encroached on.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by 9.3x64 » 09 Jul 2022, 11:27 am

Larry wrote:The velocity and energy limits are normally introduced when residential or other uses of the "zone behind the stop butts" is encroached on.

Yes, but the issue I have with the Belmont complainers (Carindale residents) is that there is a major freeway between them and the rifle range. All you can hear is high flow traffic, especially trucks. The rifle shooting noise doesn’t seem that bad to me, and I spend a lot of time in that area.
9.3x64
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Robin » 09 Jul 2022, 1:18 pm

Here is a couple of things, one of my friends lives in Melbourne and has just brought a house at Greenbank, this house is very close to the Greenbank Military Range, when they brought the area they had no idea of it being so close, they also thought they wouldn't hear anything , even after I told them of the range noise from my days of living at Mt Lofty and how loud it got, they still decided to just buy, they will move in in a few weeks, (good luck) this is the same thing thats happening with people moving next to the Belmont range, even after advise, they still think its ok and it wont be much, oops. its like when you drive through a known red light camera, its ok, but when you get the fine, you complain about how much the cost has gone up and that the gov is just revenue raising.
Realestate agents wont tell you about the noise, they want the sale.

People don't do enough research and they tend to act in stupid ways and then complain because they couldn't be bothered to research.

I didn't mind living close to the range in Toowoomba, but I don't think my wife would like it, so I know not to move there.
Robin
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 09 Jul 2022, 2:58 pm

Robin wrote:Here is a couple of things, one of my friends lives in Melbourne and has just brought a house at Greenbank, this house is very close to the Greenbank Military Range, when they brought the area they had no idea of it being so close, they also thought they wouldn't hear anything , even after I told them of the range noise from my days of living at Mt Lofty and how loud it got, they still decided to just buy, they will move in in a few weeks, (good luck) this is the same thing thats happening with people moving next to the Belmont range, even after advise, they still think its ok and it wont be much, oops. its like when you drive through a known red light camera, its ok, but when you get the fine, you complain about how much the cost has gone up and that the gov is just revenue raising.
Realestate agents wont tell you about the noise, they want the sale.

People don't do enough research and they tend to act in stupid ways and then complain because they couldn't be bothered to research.

I didn't mind living close to the range in Toowoomba, but I don't think my wife would like it, so I know not to move there.

I did a roof for a guy in Rockingham, south of Perth. They bought large 900m2+ blocks pretty cheap along the beach because they had caveats that they couldn't do anything with about half the property, they had to maintain the natural sand dunes . Once they were all sold the new owners got together and petitioned the council to have the caveats removed. People don't just go into these situations without intent, they know precisely what their long-term plan is - get everybody up in arms and petition the government every year until the issue no longer exists, and their property increases in value.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 09 Jul 2022, 3:40 pm

Unfortunately, a lot of people are @ssh@les . I remember Brisbane had some great live music venues, people moved into the area in newly built units, THEN complained about the noise. That was the demise of the story bridge hotel in Brisbane. People buying in around Belmont are doing the same thing. Word has it that ssaa state is looking to develop Ripley in a big way and make it their flagship range. Belmonts days are numbered I think
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 09 Jul 2022, 6:15 pm

They beed to better future proof ripley if they plan to make it a long standing range all the farming blocks are being snapped up by developers.
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges