Where to start with competitive shooting

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

Where to start with competitive shooting

Post by Tone » 07 Nov 2022, 10:45 am

Hi all,

I recently went to a visitor try out day at a Victorian Rifle Club. I shot at 300m using what I am told is F Class, 0.223.

It was good fun and I enjoy the idea of competitive shooting and having scoring as a way to measure your improvement.

I am not sure about F Class, with the mechanical stability etc and would prefer more natural target shooting.

I am, however, a bit bewildered by the different types of competitive shooting. I don't want to invest too heavily and I would prefer if the rifle I purchase is versatile for other purposes, such as hunting, as well as competitive shooting.

Any suggestions as to the best area or areas of the sport to start with (other than F Class) would be appreciated.

Tone
Tone
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Where to start with competitive shooting

Post by SCJ429 » 07 Nov 2022, 6:54 pm

The easiest way to get started is in rimfire, try field rifle or other types of positional shooting or if you like standing offhand shooting, rimfire Metallic Silhouette is great fun. A Ruger or Tikka rifle with some Elly or RWS ammo would work well.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 07 Nov 2022, 7:28 pm

Whereabouts are you?
Lever-Action Metallic Silhouette is great fun, shot offhand with open sights so it's much more about the shooter than the cost of his equipment.
Or maybe Rimfire Precision Rifle if you're interested in precision shooting, sort of randomised field shooting with scoped rifles at very small targets.
There are also military rifle competitions using older milsurp rifles shooting courses of fire similar to how troops used to train, probably worth looking at if you have any interest in older military rifles, like .303's and Kar98k's.

Not all clubs shoot all disciplines so you'll want to check all the clubs within driving distance of you to see what disciplines they shoot.

Tone wrote:Hi all,

I recently went to a visitor try out day at a Victorian Rifle Club. I shot at 300m using what I am told is F Class, 0.223.

It was good fun and I enjoy the idea of competitive shooting and having scoring as a way to measure your improvement.

I am not sure about F Class, with the mechanical stability etc and would prefer more natural target shooting.

I am, however, a bit bewildered by the different types of competitive shooting. I don't want to invest too heavily and I would prefer if the rifle I purchase is versatile for other purposes, such as hunting, as well as competitive shooting.

Any suggestions as to the best area or areas of the sport to start with (other than F Class) would be appreciated.

Tone
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Apollo » 07 Nov 2022, 8:10 pm

Go and have a go at a SSAA Range... Way well cheaper than the NRAA rubbish.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Wiler » 08 Nov 2022, 12:43 am

Go way in the opposite direction and try a cowboy action match, if you don't have a pistol license most places would let you just shoot the stages sans pistols (so Rifle and shotgun)
Wiler
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 08 Nov 2022, 6:56 am

Not a competitive shooter myself however I can see myself heading down that path in the future in to retirement as a way to have a social outing once in a while.
Like you I like the idea of more natural shooting styles with basic hunting rifles.

Recently there's neen a new discipline added, some of the club boys here would know what it's called and thr rules around it.
It's been set up to bring people into clubs to compete with hunting rifles.
I can't find anything on it ... anyone?
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Wyliecoyote » 08 Nov 2022, 9:15 am

https://www.vra.asn.au/about/profile/di ... ing-hunter
https://qldrifle.com/events/sporter-hunter-5/

The restriction on muzzle brakes is currently being looked at i believe as 90%+ of suitable factory rifles these days are fitted with brakes. Huge following in Victoria, ACT and Queensland. Most economical setup would be a Tikka Varmint in 8 twist 223. The Needsmore would be OK but projectile cost is prohibitive for some.
Wyliecoyote
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 08 Nov 2022, 10:18 am

Wyliecoyote wrote:https://www.vra.asn.au/about/profile/disciplines/sporting-hunter
https://qldrifle.com/events/sporter-hunter-5/

The restriction on muzzle brakes is currently being looked at i believe as 90%+ of suitable factory rifles these days are fitted with brakes. Huge following in Victoria, ACT and Queensland. Most economical setup would be a Tikka Varmint in 8 twist 223. The Needsmore would be OK but projectile cost is prohibitive for some.

That's the one :thumbsup:
I'm not sure that my rifles would pass with the adjustable cheek rests, might be considered "target rifle attachments"
I'd love to have a crack at that, I've got a spare standard stock if it's an issue.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by nurofen » 08 Nov 2022, 12:15 pm

Wyliecoyote wrote:The restriction on muzzle brakes is currently being looked at i believe as 90%+ of suitable factory rifles these days are fitted with brakes.

I still don't understand why people have issues with breaks. I mean, you're dealing with firearms for christ's sake. Very very silly rules.
target rifle shooter
nurofen
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 08 Nov 2022, 1:30 pm

Tone. Have you considered TR? TR is largely shooter skill. You can go a long way with an omark44, and an entry level jacket/sling/glove/mat. Furthermore the skills translate nicely over to Service Rifle, if you want to mix it up...
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 08 Nov 2022, 1:31 pm

Apollo wrote:Go and have a go at a SSAA Range... Way well cheaper than the NRAA rubbish.

Just curious, whatya got against fullbore target rifle? you do realize that it's a commo games sport?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 08 Nov 2022, 1:35 pm

in2anity wrote:...jacket/sling/glove/mat.

This is the stuff I hate seeing in competition shooting, shooting should be about the shooter and his rifle.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 08 Nov 2022, 1:41 pm

bladeracer wrote:This is the stuff I hate seeing in competition shooting, shooting should be about the shooter and his rifle.

It is what it is Blade, an evolution of service rifle. It's very VERY hard to shoot a possible, even with that gear. So people enjoy it, exactly as they do smallbore. And also why smallbore is part of the olympics- it's very hard. Legit a lifelong dedication, achieving and maintaining perfection.

Too much gear? Get a No4+springfield sling, and shoot service rifle. That's all you need to be A grade.

I do agree with the silhouette recommendations as well - a very pure discipline, with no where for the shooter to hide. Takes a lot of practice to be half decent, with much less emphasis on gear.
Last edited by in2anity on 08 Nov 2022, 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Apollo » 08 Nov 2022, 2:22 pm

in2anity wrote:
Apollo wrote:Go and have a go at a SSAA Range... Way well cheaper than the NRAA rubbish.

Just curious, whatya got against fullbore target rifle? you do realize that it's a commo games sport?

I have got nothing against Fullbore or F-Class or anything else at all. What I have a problem with is anything NRAA in their charges.

A friend and my Gunsmith is the NRAA consultant Gunsmith. He has and invited me to their local range BUT when I wanted to shoot more than a couple of times I was told I had to join. Well, not only the NRAA but also the local club plus a fee each visit... all okay but more than three times what being a member and shooting at a SSAA Range.

Then I have a physical restriction and I cannot lay on the ground. All okay we have a bench but it's got to be brought out of the storage shed each time. Did it twice and copped heaps from the members about beating all their scores and how I cheated by shooting off a bench....So... I never went back.
Gunsmith mate referred to me like another member as "Mr Benchrest" , all in good fun and he is a very nice chap.

Going on the initial opening post I say it's far cheaper to look at going to a SSAA Range and then explore your options perhaps more like what is local / closer plus how you get on with the other people. But also how far you want to shoot.

I, personally cannot see how anyone gets pleasure of shooting a Centrefire Rifle at 50 meters. 200 plus up to 1km is more the task and enjoyment.

Anyway... I don't mean to offend anyone. Each person to their own.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 08 Nov 2022, 2:29 pm

Apollo wrote:Then I have a physical restriction and I cannot lay on the ground. All okay we have a bench but it's got to be brought out of the storage shed each time. Did it twice and copped heaps from the members about beating all their scores and how I cheated by shooting off a bench....So... I never went back.
Gunsmith mate referred to me like another member as "Mr Benchrest" , all in good fun and he is a very nice chap.

But NRAA is just the peak body - you have to look at the individual clubs to make generalizations about culture. Case by case basis sort of thing. Just like some SSAA groups are bunch of "tacticool" knob heads, and some are good...

Also, pricing isn't too dissimilar to SSAA. Yes a little dearer for annual membership, but range fees are on par if not cheaper than SSAA... adds up if you're shooting weekly.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by yoshie » 08 Nov 2022, 5:01 pm

I started at my local SSAA with a rimfire rifle (CZ 452) doing field rifle and 3 position, after a while I got a centrefire (Howa 223) for the same matches, started doing benchrest, big game and dabled in F Class (unlimited) and fly. I eventually joined the pistol club. Now I shoot metallic silhouette hand gun, ISSF (the Olympics type matches), service, steel challenge and 10 pin.
My advice is to join a club and participate, you'll be exposed to many other disciplines and matches. One day you'll see what you want to do.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by in2anity » 09 Nov 2022, 9:01 am

yoshie wrote:I started at my local SSAA with a rimfire rifle (CZ 452) doing field rifle and 3 position, after a while I got a centrefire (Howa 223) for the same matches, started doing benchrest, big game and dabled in F Class (unlimited) and fly. I eventually joined the pistol club. Now I shoot metallic silhouette hand gun, ISSF (the Olympics type matches), service, steel challenge and 10 pin.
My advice is to join a club and participate, you'll be exposed to many other disciplines and matches. One day you'll see what you want to do.

That is good advice. Visit different clubs, under different bodies/disciplines, and you will find your place.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by ClaytonT88 » 20 Nov 2022, 4:42 pm

After a long (two year) hiatus, I recently got the bug again after talking rifles, shooting etc with a mentor teacher on my recent placement and he mentioned that his club was having a 50 m RF friendly competition on so I dusted off all the gear and wandered down.

I had a ball and glad I went for it, and now have a starting point to gauge my improvement in skills etc. I really feel that my major weakness is regular cheek position/ cheek weld in reference to the scope as I seemed to string them up/down, with some tighter groups appearing here and there.

My first 5 shots (sighters) would've scored 41/50, with my next best being a 40, which was my 6th group I shot on the bench. My two consecutive scores were 121 and 147 which was encouraging to see that I had improved slightly.

We then had a three position shoot, which was great fun and I was surprised that my best position was standing somehow, I managed 98/300 for this discipline and I reckon I'll swap back to the standard plastic stock for the T1X next time for the 3P.

Keen to get back out and improve some more!
Easy come, easy go.

Tikka T1X 22LR - VX Freedom 3-9X40
ClaytonT88
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by in2anity » 21 Nov 2022, 3:14 pm

Sounds like a nice mix Clayton. Where was this shoot based?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by ClaytonT88 » 21 Nov 2022, 9:07 pm

Howdy in2anity, State Shooting Complex at Bucklands Park, heaps of clubs all operate out of it, 50m ranges for rimfire/centrefire/pistol, metallic silhouette range and western style range as well. Keen to try some metallic rimfire silhouette too!
Easy come, easy go.

Tikka T1X 22LR - VX Freedom 3-9X40
ClaytonT88
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by duddley75 » 23 Nov 2022, 1:14 pm

Check out the Sports Hunter (SH) class.

Still shoots with the F class people but different rifles, and slightly different rules.
duddley75
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 24 Nov 2022, 12:10 pm

duddley75 wrote:Check out the Sports Hunter (SH) class.

Still shoots with the F class people but different rifles, and slightly different rules.

It's gaining momentum under the MDRA at Anzac. Double the turnout in the last NSWRA Queens, aherm "Kings". Come have a try - all the clubs welcome visitors.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges