Question about ranges and muzzle brakes

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

Question about ranges and muzzle brakes

Post by AussieTimmeh » 07 May 2014, 7:40 pm

Hi all,

My name is Tim, I'm new to the forum and I'm just getting into rifles. I've got my license and am an SSAA member as well. I also have a letter of permission to shoot on a property with a friend who also shoots with me. All my shooting has been done on his property so far and I'd like to try attending a range.

My brother and I have the desire to get into longer distance shooting and own a couple of Savage rifles. One is a little .22LR for practice and the other is a Model 10 BAT/S .308Win for longer range fun.

I understand that tactical looking rifles is not what many people are into and that's ok.

I have a question regarding an issue that is causing me concern. I would like to attend shooting ranges for practice, to make new friends, and to learn a bit more about the skills involved. I don't plan to enter competitions or F-class or any of that, I would just like to be able to shoot on an actual range that covers a long distance.

Our Savage Model 10 BAT/S has muzzle brake fitted from factory and it does not remove easily at all. I have read on the F class forum that you are not allowed to bring a rifle with a muzzle brake onto NRAA ranges. I don't know what constitutes an NRAA range. I would like to just turn up to my local range and shoot the rifle there without having to remove the muzzle brake and risk damaging it.

I have emailed my closest range about this issue to see if this rule applies to them and they have not replied yet. Is this muzzle brake rule a standard thing? Am I unable to attend ranges with this rifle? It seems odd to exclude rifles with muzzle brakes when they are perfectly legal.

I look forward to spending time here. I have already read a fair bit and there are some really smart and friendly people here.

Cheers! Timmeh
Savage Model 10 BAT/S .308, Savage Mk II .22LR, RBD Omni-Break 500 Nitro Express
AussieTimmeh
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: New member with a question about ranges and muzzle brake

Post by Baldrick314 » 07 May 2014, 7:52 pm

Welcome aboard mate and nice rifles :). In my experience muzzle brakes aren't allowed at most SSAA ranges but I've only been to a couple. It's an annoying rule but if you wanna use their ranges you've gotta play by their rules unfortunately
.177, .22lr, .22-250R, 2x .308W, .30-30W, 7.62x54r, 8x56r, 9x19, .357 Mag, 12GA
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by AussieTimmeh » 07 May 2014, 8:31 pm

Thanks for the reply and welcome. :)

What is the reasoning behind the muzzle brakes being banned? Is it the extra noise perhaps?
Savage Model 10 BAT/S .308, Savage Mk II .22LR, RBD Omni-Break 500 Nitro Express
AussieTimmeh
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Baldrick314 » 07 May 2014, 8:38 pm

AussieTimmeh wrote:Thanks for the reply and welcome. :)

What is the reasoning behind the muzzle brakes being banned? Is it the extra noise perhaps?

The only thing I've heard is that it makes it uncomfortable for shooters at adjacent benches. Personally I wouldn't mind, I've shot next to people shooting some large calibres and copped muzzle blast from them and although it can be uncomfortable it's part of the experience
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by MCLE » 07 May 2014, 8:40 pm

Hi as far as Brakes go in Fclass you lay down close to the shooter beside you and it is not a happy place to be when they let go noise dust and shok wave.And if the guy beside you is is shooting Fopen and using a 300WM it would be almost impossible to get off a good shot.
MCLE
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by AussieTimmeh » 07 May 2014, 8:55 pm

Thanks for the replies, and I can understand that it makes sense for things like F class.

So do ranges ever have any non-competitive open sessions where you can shoot what you brought (within calibre limits)? Or is it all dedicated to things like F class with no opportunity for people like myself?

I'd be happy to pay full club fees and be restricted to only one day a month so as to not disturb the F class guys etc, but it doesn't sound like that's likely.

Actually, that leads me onto a second question.

If I were to remove the muzzle brake from my rifle, on practice days would I be allowed to shoot it how I wanted to shoot it (ie bipod, with my brother on the spotting scope etc) within reason, such as under the direction of the range officer, or would I be forced to comply with the rules of competitive shooters such as a prescribed way of holding the rifle?
AussieTimmeh
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 07 May 2014, 9:09 pm

Baldrick314 wrote:Welcome aboard mate and nice rifles :). In my experience muzzle brakes aren't allowed at most SSAA ranges but I've only been to a couple. It's an annoying rule but if you wanna use their ranges you've gotta play by their rules unfortunately

Thats why I was suprised when I opened my March addition of Shooter mag to see a Colt M2012 Light Tactical .308 with brake fitted, being tested at the SSAA Monarto range.

I cant see why most ranges wont allow them...... wosers...... Thats why I dont use public ranges.... guess im spoiled having a good mate with a massive private range within walking distance from home.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Baldrick314 » 07 May 2014, 9:34 pm

AussieTimmeh wrote:Thanks for the replies, and I can understand that it makes sense for things like F class.

So do ranges ever have any non-competitive open sessions where you can shoot what you brought (within calibre limits)? Or is it all dedicated to things like F class with no opportunity for people like myself?

I'd be happy to pay full club fees and be restricted to only one day a month so as to not disturb the F class guys etc, but it doesn't sound like that's likely.

Actually, that leads me onto a second question.

If I were to remove the muzzle brake from my rifle, on practice days would I be allowed to shoot it how I wanted to shoot it (ie bipod, with my brother on the spotting scope etc) within reason, such as under the direction of the range officer, or would I be forced to comply with the rules of competitive shooters such as a prescribed way of holding the rifle?

At my local range (Seaham in NSW) you show up and pay your attendance fee ($10 for SSAA members) and you can shoot there. It's up to you how you shoot, there's about 25 benches to shoot off and an area where you can shoot standing/ prone.

They also have different comps each week but it's not mandatory to shoot in them by any means. Usually there's shooting sessions lasting about 40 minutes followed by a short break to check targets.

Your best bet for info would be call your local range on a day when they're open and ask them. There's usually someone that's happy to show you around when you tell them you're new to shooting at a range.
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Baldrick314 » 07 May 2014, 9:35 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:Thats why I dont use public ranges.... guess im spoiled having a good mate with a massive private range within walking distance from home.

Lucky bastard! :lol:
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 07 May 2014, 9:44 pm

Yeah luckys the word......... Proberly not fair to call em wosers though, I bet a brake on a big rifle would be distracting for most shooters near by.
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by AussieTimmeh » 07 May 2014, 10:13 pm

Thanks for all the info everyone. If I don't get an email back from my closest range, I'll ring around.

Baldrick314 wrote:
At my local range (Seaham in NSW) you show up and pay your attendance fee ($10 for SSAA members) and you can shoot there. It's up to you how you shoot, there's about 25 benches to shoot off and an area where you can shoot standing/ prone.

They also have different comps each week but it's not mandatory to shoot in them by any means. Usually there's shooting sessions lasting about 40 minutes followed by a short break to check targets.

Your best bet for info would be call your local range on a day when they're open and ask them. There's usually someone that's happy to show you around when you tell them you're new to shooting at a range.

This is very close to me also, I'll contact them as well. Thanks!
AussieTimmeh
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Baldrick314 » 07 May 2014, 10:25 pm

AussieTimmeh,

If you haven't got anything planned for Saturday 24th of this month I'm taking one of my mates to seaham to try shooting. I'd be happy to meet you up there and show you around if you're keen?
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by AussieTimmeh » 08 May 2014, 2:19 pm

Baldrick314 wrote:If you haven't got anything planned for Saturday 24th of this month I'm taking one of my mates to seaham to try shooting. I'd be happy to meet you up there and show you around if you're keen?

Oh that would have been sweet, but I have to work that weekend and the one prior. Bugger.

I will definitely attend on a weekend soon though to check it out.

There is very little info online about Seaham, what length is the range? And can you shoot with a muzzle brake there (provided it's not packed and I don't have to have someone either side of me) or can I assume that is a general 'no' everywhere?

I'll try to find some contact details of a range officer there so I can ask a few questions. Alternatively, I can ask when I attend.
AussieTimmeh
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by sneaker » 08 May 2014, 3:08 pm

AussieTimmeh wrote:I understand that tactical looking rifles is not what many people are into and that's ok.

Looks pretty damn sweet to me :D
sneaker
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by VICHunter » 08 May 2014, 3:10 pm

AussieTimmeh wrote:Our Savage Model 10 BAT/S has muzzle brake fitted from factory and it does not remove easily at all. I have read on the F class forum that you are not allowed to bring a rifle with a muzzle brake onto NRAA ranges. I don't know what constitutes an NRAA range. I would like to just turn up to my local range and shoot the rifle there without having to remove the muzzle brake and risk damaging it.

Hey mate,

I think you might be confusing that with not being allowed to compete in F-Class with one.

I can't speak for every range, but the 500m SSAA near me allows brakes.
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by brisb » 08 May 2014, 3:12 pm

Some ranges don't allowed brakes, but plenty do as well.

At the ones that do, worst case it they may stick everyone with a brake down one end to give other shooters a little room.
brisb
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by AussieTimmeh » 08 May 2014, 3:15 pm

sneaker wrote:Looks pretty damn sweet to me :D

Thanks! :mrgreen:

VICHunter wrote:Hey mate,

I think you might be confusing that with not being allowed to compete in F-Class with one.

Thanks VICHunter. You are bang on, my question is whether or not I am allowed to attend a range with a brake on my rifle outside of competitions where I know for a fact that I am not allowed to participate. Hopefully my local club will check their emails and reply at some stage.

Thanks for the feedback on your local range. I am hopeful that ours will be the same.
AussieTimmeh
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by AussieTimmeh » 08 May 2014, 3:16 pm

brisb wrote:Some ranges don't allowed brakes, but plenty do as well.

At the ones that do, worst case it they may stick everyone with a brake down one end to give other shooters a little room.

Ok thanks. Yeah I am happy to be moved to one end with others as you say.
AussieTimmeh
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Baldrick314 » 08 May 2014, 4:04 pm

AussieTimmeh wrote:Oh that would have been sweet, but I have to work that weekend and the one prior. Bugger.

I will definitely attend on a weekend soon though to check it out.

There is very little info online about Seaham, what length is the range? And can you shoot with a muzzle brake there (provided it's not packed and I don't have to have someone either side of me) or can I assume that is a general 'no' everywhere?

I'll try to find some contact details of a range officer there so I can ask a few questions. Alternatively, I can ask when I attend.

No worries mate. Offer stands so give me a PM on here if you wanna organise it some time.

At seaham it's definitely no brakes at any time.
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Immelmann » 10 May 2014, 9:54 am

SSAA Belmont allows muzzle brakes on the silhouette range.
QMRC allows muzzle brakes on the NRAA type full bore range and their own range. And QMRC lets you load from the magazine, however big your magazine is, it is almost necessary for the rapid shooting components. A brake feels like cheating and I love my Roedale brake, it has a flat base and is very efficient. It is so good for quick follow up shots because you can stay on target easily. I take it off to shoot F-Class.
Immelmann
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by AussieTimmeh » 10 May 2014, 4:27 pm

Thanks for the info, sounds great up there.

I confirmed my local club does not allow muzzle brakes after driving the 45 minutes to it today.

As a member new to ranges and rifle clubs etc, I can say that communication is generally very poor. Websites are old (if they exist at all), contain very little useful information, emails are not returned, and phone numbers of contacts are not provided. Once at my local range, my brother and I walked around looking to talk to someone but after a while I actually had to butt in on a conversation just to ask who a point of contact was to talk about joining. It wasn't very welcoming but I understand people are there to shoot themselves and not be worried about others. However, it does seem like a good place to learn, and I respect that people there know a great deal more than I do.

I am very glad that this website is fantastic and the members here are great, and it is a great place to share my enthusiasm in the sport.

I guess now my only option is removing the muzzle brake and hope I don't damage it or the barrel.
AussieTimmeh
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 10 May 2014, 6:11 pm

AussieTimmeh wrote:
As a member new to ranges and rifle clubs etc, I can say that communication is generally very poor. Websites are old (if they exist at all)...................................... It wasn't very welcoming but I understand people are there to shoot themselves and not be worried about others. However, it does seem like a good place to learn, and I respect that people there know a great deal more than I do.

These are thoughts that I share, in the past I have found some ranges to be very un-inviting, I'm hope thats not the case for the majority of them.

My Grandfather was a diehard compettive shooter and when he passed, he left me some competitive shooting books..... Heres an excert from one by James Sweet..published in 1973
" New Members.
Yours truly has many times over the years stressed how our welfare and our future depend upon recruiting new members. These are some of the points I have emphasised.
Intake and Output
A sucsessful rifle club is one that has a constant intake of new members who stay for six months or so, then having learnt to shoot with some consistency, drift away. This is how it should be " He goes on to say things like " a club that has a consistant attendance of the same regular members without any newcomers is a failure " He goes into some detail on how to bring new members in . Then his last point is, " where shooting is a naitional sport - invasions do not happen "

Interesting hey.
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by AussieTimmeh » 10 May 2014, 8:05 pm

That is interesting, good post! Cheers.
AussieTimmeh
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Baldrick314 » 10 May 2014, 8:22 pm

AussieTimmeh wrote:Thanks for the info, sounds great up there.

I confirmed my local club does not allow muzzle brakes after driving the 45 minutes to it today.

As a member new to ranges and rifle clubs etc, I can say that communication is generally very poor. Websites are old (if they exist at all), contain very little useful information, emails are not returned, and phone numbers of contacts are not provided. Once at my local range, my brother and I walked around looking to talk to someone but after a while I actually had to butt in on a conversation just to ask who a point of contact was to talk about joining. It wasn't very welcoming but I understand people are there to shoot themselves and not be worried about others. However, it does seem like a good place to learn, and I respect that people there know a great deal more than I do.

I am very glad that this website is fantastic and the members here are great, and it is a great place to share my enthusiasm in the sport.

I guess now my only option is removing the muzzle brake and hope I don't damage it or the barrel.

For the most part the blokes from seaham are a good bunch. What they lack in technological ability they make up for in support for new comers and general niceties in my experience. Well worth sticking with it mate :)

Also you refer to joining the club. There's no joining the club. It breaks down to if you're a SSAA member it's cheaper to use the range and if you're not it's dearer
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by AussieTimmeh » 10 May 2014, 8:32 pm

Baldrick314 wrote:For the most part the blokes from seaham are a good bunch. What they lack in technological ability they make up for in support for new comers and general niceties in my experience. Well worth sticking with it mate :)

Thanks, yeah I haven't been to Seaham yet. Hopefully soon! People make a big difference to the experience.

Baldrick314 wrote:Also you refer to joining the club. There's no joining the club. It breaks down to if you're a SSAA member it's cheaper to use the range and if you're not it's dearer

Ah ok, yeah that's what I thought but what is interesting is that my local club has a notice on their website saying membership fees are due. I didn't think to ask what that meant.
AussieTimmeh
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by AussieTimmeh » 10 May 2014, 9:27 pm

I searched on youtube for a video on how to remove my muzzle brake. What sucks is that threads are left hanging out the front of my barrel.

The person in this video fits a linear compensator on the end to tidy the end of the barrel. Are these considered muzzle brakes that would be banned on the range? They do not seem to blast the person next to you.

If these are also banned, what can I use to finish the end of my barrel so I don't just have threads hanging out?
AussieTimmeh
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Baldrick314 » 10 May 2014, 11:32 pm

AussieTimmeh wrote:I searched on youtube for a video on how to remove my muzzle brake. What sucks is that threads are left hanging out the front of my barrel.

The person in this video fits a linear compensator on the end to tidy the end of the barrel. Are these considered muzzle brakes that would be banned on the range? They do not seem to blast the person next to you.

If these are also banned, what can I use to finish the end of my barrel so I don't just have threads hanging out?

You could consider getting a thread protector made similar to what most 22's have for the thread on their barrel. Should be inexpensive and aesthetically pleasing.

Out of interest, what range did you go to that was advertising for membership dues?
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Westy » 11 May 2014, 7:59 am

VICHunter wrote:Hey mate,

So does mine in Brisbane, although they are a huge pain in the ass if your not the shooter,300wsm with a break next to you === huge shockwave with bleary eyes!!!! :lol: :D :lol:
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by VICHunter » 13 May 2014, 3:45 pm

Westy wrote:So does mine in Brisbane, although they are a huge pain in the ass if your not the shooter,300wsm with a break next to you === huge shockwave with bleary eyes!!!! :lol: :D :lol:

Admittedly it sucks to be next to a braked large caliber rifle, but what are you gunna do.

People should be able to shoot what they want. You can't make everyone shoot 22LR.
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by scrolllock » 13 May 2014, 3:47 pm

VICHunter wrote:People should be able to shoot what they want. You can't make everyone shoot 22LR.

That's one thing that always s**ts me.

Guys with 22's turn up to Little River and get the s**ts because they have to put ear muffs on because other people are shooting centrefire :roll:
scrolllock
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Next

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges