Shooting Steel near Sydney

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

Shooting Steel near Sydney

Post by Oldgunfan » 07 Feb 2024, 8:19 am

There’s only 2 ranges I know of that shoot steel. Bowral pistol club (pistol cal only up to 100m) and Hill Top (500m gong only despite being able but unwilling to set up closer targets) .
Are there any decent clubs that let you shoot centrefire rifles at steel .. not keen to continue wasting ammo shooting pieces of paper !
Oldgunfan
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Shooting Steel near Sydney

Post by DigaumSpider » 22 Apr 2024, 7:51 pm

I, too, am very bored of shooting and almost quit it altogether. I'd love to be able to use steel self-resetting targets to try shooting a different targets with a lever action for a change.
Anything that would allow me to do something along those lines near Sydney (within 2-3 hours driving distance is fine)?

Alternatively, what else is there for a more dynamic experience? Clays?

Thanks.
DigaumSpider
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 22 Apr 2024, 8:59 pm

DigaumSpider wrote:I, too, am very bored of shooting and almost quit it altogether. I'd love to be able to use steel self-resetting targets to try shooting a different targets with a lever action for a change.
Anything that would allow me to do something along those lines near Sydney (within 2-3 hours driving distance is fine)?

Thanks.

Have you tried IPSC pistol shooting?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by DigaumSpider » 22 Apr 2024, 9:02 pm

bladeracer wrote:
DigaumSpider wrote:I, too, am very bored of shooting and almost quit it altogether. I'd love to be able to use steel self-resetting targets to try shooting a different targets with a lever action for a change.

Thanks.

I don't have a pistol license, and due to the requirements to compete, I'll likely never own one. Rifles and shotguns are all I can fire (I also don't own a property, so I'm stuck with the ranges).
DigaumSpider
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by deye243 » 22 Apr 2024, 10:36 pm

12 months is a long time
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 23 Apr 2024, 9:37 am

DigaumSpider wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Thanks.

I don't have a pistol license, and due to the requirements to compete, I'll likely never own one. Rifles and shotguns are all I can fire (I also don't own a property, so I'm stuck with the ranges).

Have you looked at Metallic Silhouette then? Lever Action Silhouette is fun. Not really dynamic in my book but more fun than shooting holes in paper.

Get along to an IPSC shoot sometime, you might enjoy it enough to get into handguns. I like to shoot more "practically" at home, movement, random targets at random ranges from random positions, on the clock, with additional actions to raise the tension and pulse rate. But it is a lot of work carting targets and frames out and setting it all up, then bringing it all back again. Attending a pistol club really does make it easier where they have all the targets and equipment readily available. If you had to drive an hour to attend you would still be ahead I think. There are places that do practical rifle and shotgun as well, though I don't know of any. My biggest issue is making it fit into other people's schedules. I generally practice my shooting when I find I have a free hour or more, it's rarely something I'm able to plan ahead.

The Precision Rifle Series is another option, they usually shoot at steel, and they do change positions during their courses of fire, though I haven't really seen any movement involved.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by DigaumSpider » 23 Apr 2024, 10:13 am

bladeracer wrote:
DigaumSpider wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Thanks.

Have you looked at Metallic Silhouette then? Lever Action Silhouette is fun. Not really dynamic in my book but more fun than shooting holes in paper.

Get along to an IPSC shoot sometime, you might enjoy it enough to get into handguns. I like to shoot more "practically" at home, movement, random targets at random ranges from random positions, on the clock, with additional actions to raise the tension and pulse rate. But it is a lot of work carting targets and frames out and setting it all up, then bringing it all back again. Attending a pistol club really does make it easier where they have all the targets and equipment readily available. If you had to drive an hour to attend you would still be ahead I think. There are places that do practical rifle and shotgun as well, though I don't know of any. My biggest issue is making it fit into other people's schedules. I generally practice my shooting when I find I have a free hour or more, it's rarely something I'm able to plan ahead.

The Precision Rifle Series is another option, they usually shoot at steel, and they do change positions during their courses of fire, though I haven't really seen any movement involved.

No Sir, I had not heard of that before, and sounds just what I was after, as I do love lever action.

The main issue with Pistol licenses for me was always the requirement to be in competitions. I have a job that requires - sadly - travel sometimes and I can't really pick the travel dates due to customer requirements, so it often ends up wrecking my personal schedule (often conflicting with birthdays, anniversaries and other important dates), so competing is something I'd never be able to do.
Whereas with rifles, I can just go and have my attendances whenever. At the moment I drive about 35-40 mins to the range anyway, so driving 1h instead of 40 mins wouldn't make a difference.

Did I misunderstand that when reading the rules for pistol when getting started? Are you able to keep your license even if you don't participate in these competitions, but remain a part of a club and have your attendances there (just like with a rifle)?

Thank you for the high-quality response, Sir.
DigaumSpider
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 23 Apr 2024, 11:56 am

DigaumSpider wrote:No Sir, I had not heard of that before, and sounds just what I was after, as I do love lever action.

The main issue with Pistol licenses for me was always the requirement to be in competitions. I have a job that requires - sadly - travel sometimes and I can't really pick the travel dates due to customer requirements, so it often ends up wrecking my personal schedule (often conflicting with birthdays, anniversaries and other important dates), so competing is something I'd never be able to do.
Whereas with rifles, I can just go and have my attendances whenever. At the moment I drive about 35-40 mins to the range anyway, so driving 1h instead of 40 mins wouldn't make a difference.

Did I misunderstand that when reading the rules for pistol when getting started? Are you able to keep your license even if you don't participate in these competitions, but remain a part of a club and have your attendances there (just like with a rifle)?

Thank you for the high-quality response, Sir.

If you're into lever-action rifles then I'd be finding your nearest Lever-Action Metallic Silhouette competition and get along for a look. I had a look at the SSAA Disciplines list and don't see it on there currently so perhaps it no longer exists. Message Gamerancher as he would know the details. https://enoughgun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=15112

It's shot with rimfire and centrefire lever-action rifles, including pistol-calibre centrefire, at steel targets from 40m out to 200m, without optical sights.

Yes, I have the same issue with pistol licencing, which is why I no longer shoot handguns. Yes, you do have to shoot minimum attendances, in addition to your rifle attendances. I'm not sure if you actually have to shoot handgun competitions but I would assume so as you are granted a handgun licence based on the premise that you wish to enjoy shooting handgun competition. As you can't use a handgun _anywhere_ except at approved pistol clubs, attendances are less of a problem I think. Because I can use my rifles and guns every day at home I have zero interest in going to shoot at rifle or gun clubs, it would suck if I were forced to attend clubs just to maintain a licence. I have visited rifle/gun ranges six times I think in the last forty years, I took my grandson to shoot three times and I shot a military competition last year myself. When I was shooting IPSC though I was shooting at the pistol club several times every month, it really is great fun.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by No1_49er » 23 Apr 2024, 11:16 pm

Lever Action Rifle Silhouette is listed under 'Rifle Metallic Silhouette' here https://www.ssaa.org.au/disciplines/all ... ilhouette/
You will not find the silhouette discipline under the lever action banner which is quite distinctly different
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges