Free standing group sizes at 100m

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

Free standing group sizes at 100m

Post by botfour » 08 Jul 2014, 10:34 am

Hi all,

What kind of groups are you guys are shooting at 100m while free standing?

How did you go when you started practicing? How long did it take you to improve.

I'm shooting dinner plates at the moment :lol:
botfour
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Free standing group sizes at 100m

Post by Chronos » 08 Jul 2014, 12:22 pm

When you run out of dinner plates , start on the bread and butter plates, you'll be hitting tea cups at 200 in no time :lol:

Practice, practice, practice. Something like rimfire metallic silhouette is a good challenge and teaches you about the consistency of your stance. If you can hit 4 from 5 pigs at 60 m there won't be a safe rabbit in town.

With a centerfire if you can hold 4" - 6" at 100m off hand that's plenty for hunting of course others will have their own opinion

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Lorgar » 08 Jul 2014, 1:33 pm

I actually have no idea what size groups I shoot free standing... I practice for hunting by hanging a small steel plate out and just hitting it is enough.

The plate I use is about 5" x 6". At 100m I might hit it 8/10 times if I'm having a decent day?
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Warrigul » 08 Jul 2014, 2:39 pm

Target and hunting are two different beasts, I may shoot rams in rimfire at 100 with the .22 but seldom need to shoot much past 50m in the field unless in a vehicle. You can do the whole smallbore or hold for zero on the range but it is useless for 90% of the shots you will take in the field where a quick shot as you pass over the aiming point approach gives better results, especially when you add in some mild exertion and a raised heartbeat.

I use a 50mm swinger at 50m as a sighter before I start, and is achieveable by most people, I grew up with an open sighted .22 and an air rifle so it is a bit unfair to compare time spent learning.

I hit the 10" x 12" plate at 200yds 9/10 times with the .303 most months, once again it is all practice and is more due to trigger timing than simply sighting.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by dorpel » 08 Jul 2014, 3:38 pm

Warrigul wrote:I hit the 10" x 12" plate at 200yds 9/10 times with the .303 most months, once again it is all practice and is more due to trigger timing than simply sighting.

Do you find with your shots you're steady for a second before firing? Or you just pull the trigger as the crosshair passes the target?
dorpel
Recruit
Recruit

Northern Territory

Post by Warrigul » 08 Jul 2014, 4:21 pm

dorpel wrote:
Warrigul wrote:I hit the 10" x 12" plate at 200yds 9/10 times with the .303 most months, once again it is all practice and is more due to trigger timing than simply sighting.

Do you find with your shots you're steady for a second before firing? Or you just pull the trigger as the crosshair passes the target?

It is open sighted, I swing the rifle up, I have taken up the first stage and the trigger trips just as it kisses the bottom of the target, following through up the center of the target.

I only hold steady when shooting prone or off a rest.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by NukeBOMB88 » 08 Jul 2014, 6:42 pm

I'm not sure about 100m but I emptied a pack of 50 cheap Highland subsonic .22 ammo into this target at somewhere around 50m ( I just shot across a paddock) and somehow pulled this off free standing :lol: I've never done it that well before and I probably never will again :lol:
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (229.47 KiB) Viewed 3611 times
Ruger M77 Mkii VT .204
Jw-15e .22
Winchester Model 37a 12ga
Beretta Silver pigeon pump action 12ga
Howa 1500 .223
Howa 1500 .30-06
NukeBOMB88
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Aster » 08 Jul 2014, 7:08 pm

Good to see the Enough Gun targets getting some range time ;)
See you on the firing line.
Aster

-

Post by NukeBOMB88 » 08 Jul 2014, 7:16 pm

Aster wrote:Good to see the Enough Gun targets getting some range time ;)

Yeah I use them all the time ! I've found them invaluable for getting my eye in before a hunt :D
Ruger M77 Mkii VT .204
Jw-15e .22
Winchester Model 37a 12ga
Beretta Silver pigeon pump action 12ga
Howa 1500 .223
Howa 1500 .30-06
NukeBOMB88
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Aster » 08 Jul 2014, 7:21 pm

Good to hear.

I've got a few more half finished ones too which I need to wrap up. Mixing things up a bit with a few more fun ones.

I'll finish them eventually...
See you on the firing line.
Aster

-

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges