Opinions on Ruger M77 Mark II target rifle?

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

Opinions on Ruger M77 Mark II target rifle?

Post by Carter » 10 Sep 2013, 6:20 pm

Hi all...

I'm looking to get into target shooting... Nothing at competition level and not looking to spend a fortune on my first rifle for this, just looking some entry level options...

I was at the range the other day and got chatting with a bloke who was shooting the Ruger M77 Mark II target rifle. He was kind enough to let me have a few shots with it and all seemed well enough...

Putting 3 shots through obviously obviously isn't much experience though, and there's a difference between shooting a rifle and living with it...

My local store has a pair of these in stock in .223 rem which is what I shot at the range, the rifles are affordable and I'm pretty sold on getting one as long as they're reasonable. Don't really need any other suggestions on different rifles unless there is something terrible about the Ruger's that I should know and avoid?

What does everyone thing of these specifically?
Carter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: Opinions on Ruger M77 Mark II target rifle?

Post by Vati » 11 Sep 2013, 11:44 am

Nothing wrong with a the Ruger as an entry level target rifle at all.

They are about a grand if I recall correctly?

It's no Sako TRG-42, but the Ruger is a 7th of the price so if you're looking for a starter rifle you can't argue with that.
Reach out and touch...
Vati
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Carter » 11 Sep 2013, 11:50 am

Regular Ruger Hawkeye is $990 at my local... The target rifles are a little more at $1080.

As much as I'd love one, there's no chance of me paying $7,000 for a Sako at this point unfortunately.

Or ever probably :(
Carter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by RealNick » 11 Sep 2013, 2:08 pm

If you were pretty happy shooting it at the range when you had your try of it I'd go for it.

You're not going to get anything in a target rifle for cheaper than a grand and if it's only a starter for it what's to lose?
RealNick
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 11 Sep 2013, 2:11 pm

RealNick wrote:You're not going to get anything in a target rifle for cheaper than a grand and if it's only a starter for it what's to lose?

There's plenty of choice in between a $1,000 Ruger and a $7,000 Sako too.

Remington 700 XCR is $2200 I think?

OP won't have to step from a $1k rifle to a $7k one when he want's something better than the MKII target.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Carter » 12 Sep 2013, 10:54 am

Lorgar wrote:There's plenty of choice in between a $1,000 Ruger and a $7,000 Sako too.

Remington 700 XCR is $2200 I think?

That's probably about the max I'd spend in the future. Realistically I'm never going to have a 7 grand rifle.

It's all good though. Like I said I'm pretty sold on the Ruger for now anyways, I'm sure it will be fun.
Carter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Hercl » 12 Sep 2013, 12:18 pm

Go for it mate.

A shooting buddy of mine has a Ruger Target in .223 which he's had for 16 years and it's still going strong.

People bag Ruger rifles for accuracy but I don't reckon they know WTF they are talking about. Just repeating the same crap some self-proclaimed gun expert posted on website somewhere.

For a fun target rifle it will be sweet as.
What is this "too many rifles" you speak of?
Hercl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bunnybuster » 14 Oct 2013, 1:27 pm

I have a 77RS in 243,very accurate,and a 77MKII in 223 with a lightweight barrel which has it's moments,heats up quickley,if I had my 'druthers I would

have bought a heavy barrel,but hindsight is 20-20.It still would be a Ruger,good value for money.The 77 also has excellent integral mounts so you can

have a scope set up for the range,and another for the farm in another set of rings and swap them when needed.

BB!
bunnybuster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges