Breathing techniques for accurate shooting

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

Breathing techniques for accurate shooting

Post by sha » 12 Sep 2013, 11:15 am

I'm an Ok shot at the range, but keen to improve my shooting technique and accuracy.

I've done a bit of mucking around with shooting positions and stuff for accuracy but pretty casually...

Got a big range day coming up soon and getting my game plan together.

What do people find best in maximising there accuracy for breathing techniques?

Half breath? Exhaling? Different breathing techniques when shooting prone or off the bench?

Lay it on me...
Savage Axis The Definition of Accuracy

Savage 93 .22 WMR
Savage 93R17 .17 HMR
Savage 110FP .308 WIN
sha
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Re: Breathing techniques for accurate shooting

Post by Herdsman » 12 Sep 2013, 1:22 pm

Standard procedure is breath in > half breath out > hold it > fire.

Should give you a comfortable few seconds without your chest heaving to pull the trigger.
Shepherding bullets down range.

Tikka Hunter Stainless Fluted 300 Win Mag
Tikka Battue Lite .308 Win
Tikka Varmint Stainless .222 Rem
Herdsman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 12 Sep 2013, 1:26 pm

I find completely exhaling works best for me.

With the half breath out method I find my self a little distracted by holding the breath half way. Like I'm concentrating on it a little...

Deep breathe in, then exhale the entire thing before firing.

My 2cents anyway.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Norton » 12 Sep 2013, 1:30 pm

Lorgar wrote:I find completely exhaling works best for me.

With the half breath out method I find my self a little distracted by holding the breath half way. Like I'm concentrating on it a little...

Deep breathe in, then exhale the entire thing before firing.

My 2cents anyway.

How long can you comfortably hold it for though after completely exhaling?

I'd have thought burning lungs more of a distraction than holding a breathe?
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by inervate » 12 Sep 2013, 3:05 pm

Norton wrote:How long can you comfortably hold it for though after completely exhaling?

I'd have thought burning lungs more of a distraction than holding a breathe?

Ditto. I start getting uncomfortable pretty much straight away after exhaling and holding.
Weatherby Varmintmaster .224 Wby Mag
Tikka T3 Hunter Fluted 30-06
Marlin 57M Levermatic .22 Win Mag
inervate
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Atter » 12 Sep 2013, 3:08 pm

Feeling kinda stupid now...

Sitting and my computer desk practicing breathing and pretending to squeeze a trigger :lol:
Tikka T3 Hunter .260 Remington
Tikka T3 Sporter 6.5x55 SE
CZ 513 .22LR
Atter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Aster » 12 Sep 2013, 3:21 pm

Atter wrote:Feeling kinda stupid now...

Sitting and my computer desk practicing breathing and pretending to squeeze a trigger :lol:

Practice makes perfect ;)
See you on the firing line.
Aster

-

Post by Weepy » 17 Sep 2013, 11:03 am

I prefer exhaling completely too.

A few deep breathes beforehand to build up some oxygen then exhale, more than enough time for a clean shot.
Weatherby Mark V Accumark 7mm Rem. Mag.
Leupold VX-3 4.5-14x40mm

Browning BL-22 .22LR
Weepy
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by sha » 17 Jan 2014, 10:54 am

Weepy wrote:I prefer exhaling completely too.

A few deep breathes beforehand to build up some oxygen then exhale, more than enough time for a clean shot.

I've taken to that too.

I tried about 15 groups with half breath, or full exhale and find I'm a fraction better on full exhale.
Savage Axis The Definition of Accuracy

Savage 93 .22 WMR
Savage 93R17 .17 HMR
Savage 110FP .308 WIN
sha
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by on_one_wheel » 17 Jan 2014, 1:59 pm

I breath normaly... smooth and constiant, then start applying light pressure on the trigger with my air bags half empty and take the shot just as I'm finishing exhaling.

If everything dosen't line up at that point then I release the trigger tention, keep breathing and try again next breath.

The thought process that goes into this is a good method for those that have developed a flinch to distract thier mind from the looming expolsion and recoil.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by defau » 17 Jan 2014, 2:18 pm

Just for curiosity, how many times do you find it doesn't line up on_one_wheel?
Sako L46 .222
Remington 721 .270
CZ 242 .22
defau
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 17 Jan 2014, 2:28 pm

defau wrote:Just for curiosity, how many times do you find it doesn't line up on_one_wheel?

That depends on how well I am set up, on a bench I usally get a shot off on my third breath once chambered, in the field it usally takes more.... I might even need to reposition my body or find a different spot to sit , stand or lay to get more comfortable, then the whole process starts again.

Half the trick is to find that position where I don't need to be applying any pressure to the rifle side to side for things to line up, so the only movement I get is up and down with my breaths, it might just mean moving my elbow, torso or even just moving my feet a fraction or my so the cross hairs just hold over the target and they are in the right spot when I have exhaled.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Noisydad » 21 Jan 2014, 6:26 am

Apparently if you've not got your shot off in 1.8 seconds you should be starting the shot over. The theory being that you begin over thinking the process, tensing up, encourage eye strain and fatigue and developing a flinch.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Chronos » 21 Jan 2014, 7:05 am

on_one_wheel wrote:I breath normaly... smooth and constiant, then start applying light pressure on the trigger with my air bags half empty and take the shot just as I'm finishing exhaling.

If everything dosen't line up at that point then I release the trigger tention, keep breathing and try again next breath.

The thought process that goes into this is a good method for those that have developed a flinch to distract thier mind from the looming expolsion and recoil.

Sounds like my technique no deliberate breath holding just relax, exhale, squeeze

If you ever find your self left alone on a heart rate monitor try holding your breath. After 2-3 seconds your heart rate starts to climb. You can train your system to lower your heart rate for breath holding by using some free diving techniques but i wouldn't bother.

So that's when shooting off the bench or prone. When standing I use the full lungs technique. I find that a full breath helps stabilise the posture and brace the ribcage

It's up to each shooter to find the system that gives best results for them

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by marksmanVIC » 21 Jan 2014, 5:47 pm

Calm breathing works for me pull the trigger as I exhale. (308). No real method for 12ga, just pull the trigger when I need to.
marksmanVIC
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by BRNOmod2 » 21 Jan 2014, 7:08 pm

When shooting fullbore (real fullbore, not F class - so shooting prone with sling only - no rest) i use the full exhale breathing style. Few slow relaxed breaths in and out then i exhale, a second or so to get shot away. If sight picture is not correct i start cycle again and go thru at least 2 x breath cycles before attempting to get correct sight picture and let shot off.
BRNOmod2
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Warrigul » 21 Jan 2014, 8:20 pm

Chronos wrote:

So that's when shooting off the bench or prone. When standing I use the full lungs technique. I find that a full breath helps stabilise the posture and brace the ribcage

Chronos

Full lungs aren't usually recommended for most people as the heart beat is accentuated when the chest cavity is under pressure.

I have seen this demonstrated with a laser plotter on a target at 10m, despite the best efforts there is movement in time to the heart, this is lessened when the lungs are half full.

They don't mention the heart thing but general breath control is covered here: http://www.smallborerifle.co.uk/breathing.php

A lot of the smallbore techniques are beneficial and flow on to cemterfire. My shooting improved in general when I started fullbore and using many of the smallbore exercises(not exactly like on the UK website but close) and I had already been shooting for fifteen odd years.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Warrigul » 21 Jan 2014, 8:41 pm

BRNOmod2 wrote:When shooting fullbore (real fullbore, not F class - so shooting prone with sling only - no rest) i use the full exhale breathing style. Few slow relaxed breaths in and out then i exhale, a second or so to get shot away. If sight picture is not correct i start cycle again and go thru at least 2 x breath cycles before attempting to get correct sight picture and let shot off.

I still practice a weekly dry fire session in the shed on a distant mark, top training for all other forms of shooting.(I have to admit I deserted fullbore for F class many years ago)
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Octane » 22 Jan 2014, 9:31 am

I can't say I'm convinced on the dry fire practice thing.

I can always do just about perfect dry firing because I know there will be no recoil, but as soon as I'm behind a rifle which I know will fire it's not the same.

For me anyway.
Octane
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Chronos » 22 Jan 2014, 5:02 pm

Octane wrote:I can't say I'm convinced on the dry fire practice thing.

I can always do just about perfect dry firing because I know there will be no recoil, but as soon as I'm behind a rifle which I know will fire it's not the same.

For me anyway.

that is precisely the reason to practice. training with perfect form is the best way to develop the muscle memory that allows you to shoot well

pistol shooters often dry fire hundreds of rounds a week for this reason

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Tinked » 23 Jan 2014, 9:48 am

I think it helps.

Very slow going though. It's not like 10 practice shots clears up flinching and perfects breathing.

Hundreds of firings for noticeable improvement I think.
Tinked
Private
Private

Australian Capital Territory

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges