Small bore rifle club questions + more

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

Small bore rifle club questions + more

Post by jennageit » 28 Jul 2014, 5:49 pm

Hi guys,

I found out that my local gun club is pretty much Clay target shooting only (from what I can gather), which would mean I'd need to buy a shotty, which is something I'm not prepared to do quite yet.

However, there is a Small Bore Rifle Club around here somewhere too, which I'm also looking into, maybe as a place to start.

My questions are:

What sort of things to most SBR Clubs do?
Would the Marlin XT 22R that I'm hoping to purchase be an acceptable rifle for this sort of club?

Also,

I rang a place today to look into purchasing a Marlin rifle but he wasn't very helpful at all. My questions were valid, I was polite etc etc but he couldn't wait to get me off the phone. He was rather rude, so I pretty much piked out of the conversation half way through my enquiries and thought I'd jump on here and ask you guys what I didn't get to ask of him.

If I was to purchase a Marlin XT 22R, could I only use one type of ammunition in it, or could I use Magnum rounds in it as well?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but there seems to be a hell of a lot more info out there that I need to try and soak up.

I'd have loved to be able to actually go to a GS to have a look around and ask someone in person, but at this stage I'm still bedridden for most of the day. I did manage to get out in the paddock today to see what damage was done with the winds last night, but my husband ended up ferrying me back to the house on the quad bike as my left leg went totally numb and was quickly being followed by my right leg. As I sit here I have next to no feeling in my legs from the hips down. It's an interesting sensation, that's for sure!

Also, is it standard procedure to be asked to pay $50 at a GS in order for them to show you how to clean your rifle?

I look forward to hearing back from someone soon!

Jenna
Back from a break, and ready to shoot again :)
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Small bore rifle club questions + more

Post by MeccaOz » 28 Jul 2014, 6:21 pm

Marlins have got a bad wrap after remmington bought them out. But the Marlin XT are great little shooters, and prolly what I would buy If I was getting into a sport like small bore. But alot of guys will tell you get an Anschutz, they are the bee's Knees but they cost several ton more. As for your other questions. Generally you can load 22LR, 22 short and 22 long in a 22LR. you either have to load them by hand or get a rifle with a tube mag ( yep the Marlins do offer a tube mag ) the 22 Mag wont fit, unless persuaded vehemently, and you dont want it too, it's slightly larger. Ive never been in a small bore club so other guys here may be able to help you out Jenna.
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by jennageit » 28 Jul 2014, 6:39 pm

Thanks Mecca,

I'm not sure why I'd want to load the 22 Mag yet, but you never know. I may find a legitimate reason somewhere along the line.

I'd buy an Anschutz if I had the money, but the Marlin is about all I can afford right now. It's come down to spending money on my shooting or my 4WD restoration. At this stage, I'm doing half and half, but I'd like to upgrade my rifle at a later date as my skill (hopefully) improves.

Jenna
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Baldrick314 » 28 Jul 2014, 6:49 pm

Hey Jenna. I would not pay anything to learn how to clean your rifle. If the LGS told you you'd have to pay that they're trying to rip you off. Take it to the gun club and someone will help you. Our sport seems to be plagued by really poor customer service.

Hope your health improves soon! I've been battling a virus the last 24 hours and being bed ridden sucks, obviously not as severe as your situation though
.177, .22lr, .22-250R, 2x .308W, .30-30W, 7.62x54r, 8x56r, 9x19, .357 Mag, 12GA
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by jennageit » 28 Jul 2014, 7:07 pm

I'm going to do just that I think.

I'm also off to the doctors tomorrow, and I aint leaving until they do something. This all started in mid May and it's getting rediculous!

Staying in bed isn't doing anything. The cortizone injection was a waste of time, and the painkillers they've got me on have me moving around like a zombie. If I don't get any help from them I'm going to try exercising again. Maybe swimming or something. I'm aiming to get back to my fitness level before this happened, and my bench press is sitting there getting lonely lol.

Anyway, off to make a call to the local rifle club and see where we go from there.

Jenna
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by jennageit » 28 Jul 2014, 7:45 pm

That was freaky. I just got outta bed to ring this guy from the small bore rifle club and my phone rings.

It was him, and he's more than happy to help me get started. Invited me up to see one of their shoots, try out some rifles to see what i'm comfortable with etc etc.

Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to gun club I go! (when i can walk again that is, minor detail!)
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by hoogle » 29 Jul 2014, 11:16 am

jennageit wrote:Would the Marlin XT 22R that I'm hoping to purchase be an acceptable rifle for this sort of club?

Anywhere that you can shoot rifles you can shoot .22 for sure.
hoogle
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Rakk » 29 Jul 2014, 12:37 pm

MeccaOz wrote:Marlins have got a bad wrap after remmington bought them out. But the Marlin XT are great little shooters, and prolly what I would buy If I was getting into a sport like small bore.

You're right, people aren't keen on the "Remlins".

I bit the bullet though and gave the XT22 a go and I'm glad I did. Mine shoots great anyway.
Rakk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by becks » 29 Jul 2014, 12:39 pm

Mine's good too,

At half the price of an Anschutz it'll do me just fine.
Howa Ranchland 7mm
Remington 7600 pump-action .243
Martin XT-22
becks
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by Rakk » 29 Jul 2014, 12:41 pm

Meant to add I'm just using regular CCI ammo in mine too and it works :)
Rakk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Seconds » 29 Jul 2014, 12:49 pm

jennageit wrote:Also, is it standard procedure to be asked to pay $50 at a GS in order for them to show you how to clean your rifle?

Honestly there isn't much to it...

Jag and patch to run some cleaner though. Nylon brush to agitate the cleaning solution and get it into the rifling and everywhere. Let it work then patch it out.

Without doing something real stupid you're not going to have any problems.
Sako 85 Hunter
.308 Winchester
Seconds
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Sakoh » 29 Jul 2014, 1:03 pm

Seconds wrote:Without doing something real stupid you're not going to have any problems.

I'd just add, I see a lot of first timers get the patch size wrong on their first clean.

They cut them too big and get them stuck in the throat.

Not a problem with the jags but with a loop cleaning piece you can really get it stuck in there,

One to be aware of anyway for your first clean Jenna :)
Sakoh
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Yelp » 29 Jul 2014, 1:38 pm

becks wrote:At half the price of an Anschutz it'll do me just fine.

Less than that even.

$450 for a Marlin? :)

$1,200 for the Anschutz? :o
Yelp
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by hrrl » 29 Jul 2014, 1:40 pm

jennageit wrote:The cortizone injection was a waste of time

Not a fix either, just masks the problem for a while.

Not good for you that stuff :(
Howa Nowa Browna Cowa
hrrl
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by jennageit » 29 Jul 2014, 1:40 pm

Thanks for the tips guys.

One of the guys at the gun club has offered to teach me how to clean it. He said that when I pick it up, to ring him and take it over to his place. He's going to teach me how to clean it, and use it properly. He also reckons that if I put a few shots through it at his place, away from all the club guys, i'll get a bit of confidence before using it in public. Also, apparently there are going to be a lot of people at the club wanting to offer me advice, which can be counter-productive and confusing.

He's kinda taken me under his wing, bit like you guys, so I'm very grateful.

Jenna

A quick question about storing guns and ammunition.

I'd planned on storing the ammunition in the separate lock box built in the top of the safe, but otherwise leave the rifle complete. It's been mentioned that many people also remove the bolt, and store it either with the ammunition, or in a different place altogether. What are your thoughts guys?

Jenna
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by whert » 29 Jul 2014, 1:48 pm

jennageit wrote:A quick question about storing guns and ammunition.

I'd planned on storing the ammunition in the separate lock box built in the top of the safe, but otherwise leave the rifle complete. It's been mentioned that many people also remove the bolt, and store it either with the ammunition, or in a different place altogether. What are your thoughts guys?

Storing your firearms and ammunition separately is a legal requirement (sure you know that already) but the bolt is not. (Just saying this for Victoria, if you're in another state I dunno...)

A lot of guys store the bolt separately for additional security. If some bastard, er.. I mean thief, manages to get your rifle it doesn't do them any good without the bolt ;) Good piece of mind for everyone.
Weatherby Vanguard S2 .270 Winchester
Mossberg M464 30-30
Gamo Maxima .177
whert
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by scrolllock » 29 Jul 2014, 1:50 pm

jennageit wrote:Also, apparently there are going to be a lot of people at the club wanting to offer me advice, which can be counter-productive and confusing.

There will be that.

Some advice is great, especially if you ask for it. Other guys need to keep there f***ing trap shut IMO.

They just want someone to listen to them and won't stop hounding you till you accept their info.

I just about never take my ear muffs off at the range now so people don't speak to me, ha ha.
scrolllock
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by AusC » 29 Jul 2014, 1:51 pm

jennageit wrote:I'd planned on storing the ammunition in the separate lock box built in the top of the safe, but otherwise leave the rifle complete. It's been mentioned that many people also remove the bolt, and store it either with the ammunition, or in a different place altogether. What are your thoughts guys?

I do.

Stored securely elsewhere.

Just peace of mind. God forbid if a firearm ever did get stolen from me I'd be happy to tell the police at least the bolt wasn't taken and it's inoperable.
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by jennageit » 29 Jul 2014, 4:59 pm

Okay guys, I've decided to store the bolt separately.

Also, I'd hoped to go to the rifle club in a couple of weeks (they meet every Wednesday night) to meet and greet. Should I take some ear muffs? If so, any suggestions on brands, prices etc etc?

Jenna

PS. I just got back from the doctors, they're all a bunch of f&#kwits! I'm looking at being in my current state for at least the next 9 weeks, and that's if they move their butts and get me an appointment. Not happening. I'm going to try real hard and get some exercise in, maybe i can get the body to play nice and start repairing itself.
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by scrolllock » 30 Jul 2014, 4:03 pm

jennageit wrote:Should I take some ear muffs? If so, any suggestions on brands, prices etc etc?

Only take them if you value your hearing :lol:

Check out this topic for some good earmuff info - Electronic ear muffs
scrolllock
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by ployer » 30 Jul 2014, 4:04 pm

jennageit wrote:I'm looking at being in my current state for at least the next 9 weeks

:shock: :? :oops: :cry:
ployer
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 30 Jul 2014, 4:07 pm

jennageit wrote:I'm going to try real hard and get some exercise in, maybe Ii can get the body to play nice and start repairing itself.

If you can, swim. Regular freestyle is the best rehab there is in my experience.

Take it from the guy with who has had two hip replacements, two fused vertebrae, broken ribs, clavicle, shoulder blade, dislocated a knee and both shoulders.

Swim.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Hatter » 30 Jul 2014, 4:09 pm

f*** Lorgar. Did the parachute not open or what?
30-06 Steyr 98 -- .243W Steyr Pro Varmint -- 32-20 WCF Winchester 1885 -- 223 Remington 700 5R
Hatter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Lorgar » 30 Jul 2014, 4:09 pm

Well, you know... We were all foolish teenagers once :lol:
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by jennageit » 30 Jul 2014, 4:37 pm

Geez Lorgar, you're more busted up than I have ever been!

To date, i've broken my left arm, left wrist, left collar bone x 3 times, left leg, both ankles, fractured my neck in 2 places (2 separate accidents), right shoulder, 2 knuckles on left hand, 3 on the right. All from riding racehorses - not riding as such, more falling off the beasts at high speed. I've also had my skull fractured 4 times, and my cheek bone and eye socket fractured once. Those ones were caused by my ex fiance. Oh, and I dislocated my elbow and my thumb on him when I finally fought back. Worth it though lmao

I'm really hoping to start swimming, although my back took a turn for the worse last night so I can't get in the car to travel the 20kms to the pool. As soon as I can though, I'll be swimming for sure - against doctors advice though.
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 31 Jul 2014, 2:15 pm

Yeah I was a bit of a mess.

A fellow motorist was kind enough to speed into a roundabout in his flatbed truck and roll my car into a pole.

Woke up a short time later to the sound of the jaws of life cutting me out of the car.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by jennageit » 31 Jul 2014, 5:44 pm

That's bad. I'm glad you're still here mate. It sounds like it could have been a lot worse than it was.

Someone was obviously smiling down on you that day.
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 31 Jul 2014, 7:13 pm

Yeah, these things can always be worse.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges