Love beginners luck :D

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

Love beginners luck :D

Post by rummer » 16 Aug 2014, 8:33 pm

I'm not having a brag about my skills here because it's definitely something I couldn't repeat :lol:

I was at Little River which is my local range and one of the blokes shooting had his targets at 500m but was packing up and waiting for the ceasefire to go get them. You need the car to put them out at that distance which I don't do, and he was nice enough to let me use them while waiting.

Had my first shot anyway, put it just on the edge of his 1" red bullseye in the middle :D On the edge, but it still counts :lol:

He knew it was a fluke and it was all in good fun but he was a bit steamed :lol:

He was shooting 4" groups at the 500m which is better than I'll ever do, but I'll leave it at my beginners luck shot with that.

Back to my 100m shooting so I don't ruin my run how, ha ha.
Tikka T3 Laminated - 270 Win
Ruger 77/17 - 17 HMR
rummer
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Love beginners luck :D

Post by Westy » 16 Aug 2014, 8:46 pm

Pic or it didn't happen!!!!!!!!!LOL
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Apollo » 16 Aug 2014, 9:19 pm

Where did the next four shots land.... ???

4" groups aren't that bad but it all depends on the equipment being used. Anything other than a designated target rifle is pretty flash at 500m. ;)

Dedicated target rifle in a 500m competition I believe the record at Little River is about 0.95" for a 5 shot group and that wasn't even in the scoring rings, he just kept the shots placed where he started to get a group score.

The very best I have done is a 5 shot 1.5" group under ideal conditions and no pressure as there is in competition shooting. If I can repeat that in a couple of weeks at a national shoot I will be amazed. If it's windy then I'll be happy to keep them all in the scoring rings. 6.5x47 Lapua custom Benchrest rifle.

Anyway, congrats at even hitting the target at 500m. It's not that easy first time. Lots of fun had shooting medium to long range and seeing them make marks in paper.

Should be out this weekend with the boys at Mudgee shooting 300 & 500m but it's too wet for this dry weather duck. Hope they don't get washed away.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by rummer » 18 Aug 2014, 11:03 am

Apollo wrote:Where did the next four shots land.... ???

I did 2 more shots. I hit the edge of the A4 target with one and missed completely with the other :lol:

It's all good though. Fluke or not I can say I hit the bullseye once :lol: :D

I was only there to have fun so either way it would have worked out good ;)
Tikka T3 Laminated - 270 Win
Ruger 77/17 - 17 HMR
rummer
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by mobo » 18 Aug 2014, 11:19 am

Westy wrote:Pic or it didn't happen!!!!!!!!!LOL

I reckon there could be a business in selling fake target photos.

I reckon braggers would pay for fakies to back up their claims :lol:
Mossberg 802 Plinkster 22LR

Savage Stevens 200 .270 Winchester
mobo
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by scrolllock » 19 Aug 2014, 11:03 am

Apollo wrote:Anyway, congrats at even hitting the target at 500m. It's not that easy first time. Lots of fun had shooting medium to long range and seeing them make marks in paper.

Hit the paper? My first time shooting at 500m at my local range I hit a rock about 2 feet left and a metre low of the target :lol:
scrolllock
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by AusC » 19 Aug 2014, 11:23 am

The largest boulder at the far end of Little River has more than a few holes from my missed shots in it :lol:
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Brute » 22 Sep 2014, 8:44 am

I went out to Little River for the first time in a while on the weekend. Dunno if these have been here for a while but first I noticed...

They have a metal goat, big paddlepop stick thing and gong at 500m now.

Hard to see on your own with recoil, but with a mate spotting you can see the dirt puff from the fragmented bullets when you hit the target.

Good fun and practice there ;)
The Hammer of Dawn
Brute
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges