Second go at shooting, and I'm loving it! results below

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

Second go at shooting, and I'm loving it! results below

Post by jennageit » 27 Aug 2014, 10:57 pm

Hi Guys,

I got back from the rifle club about an hour ago and have been arguing with my computer and internet ever since.

I had a great time, as usual, all the guys were lovely.
I did much better this time around, and apart from having a guy with a telescope sitting about ten feet away to see where my projectiles ended up, I was pretty much left alone.
Unlike last time, I got to shoot a full set of targets, plus a couple of extra shots.
This was all 50m by the way, and the target rifle is an Anchutz, but that's about all I know about it.
Anyway, you can see my results below. One of the guys collected my target, scored it, then passed it around, and finally showed it to me. My target and I was last in line! Not that I mind lol

Anyway, see attached photo for results, but it's been scored at 192.07. Buggered if I know how that happened, but everyone seemed very happy with my result, not half as happy as I was.

Also, I've attached the pic cos apparently if there isn't a photo, it didn't happen :lol:

Next time I'm shooting though, apparently I'm going to be using the new targets.

Take care all,

Jenna
Attachments
50m target 2nd attempt at shooting.jpg
50m target 2nd attempt at shooting.jpg (121.23 KiB) Viewed 6895 times
Back from a break, and ready to shoot again :)
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Second go at shooting, and I'm loving it! results below

Post by bigfellascott » 28 Aug 2014, 1:23 pm

Well done.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by jennageit » 28 Aug 2014, 5:46 pm

Thankyou Bigfellascott.

I thoroughly enjoyed my evening, and can't wait to go again (2 week wait for me now).
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 28 Aug 2014, 8:00 pm

jennageit wrote:Thankyou Bigfellascott.

I thoroughly enjoyed my evening, and can't wait to go again (2 week wait for me now).

Your welcome. You're doing very well and sound like your enjoying yourself, which is the important part - keep it up!
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by jennageit » 28 Aug 2014, 8:10 pm

To top it all off, today I had a physio appointment (hell on earth), and got a great result.

It seems that the surgeons who were almost predicting the end of the world, well life as I know it, may just have been wrong. If I keep up my exercises, I should be as close to normal as I can be (without surgery) within 6 months.

Last night, whilst shooting, when I first sat down my back was screaming at me, but when I started concentrating on what I was doing, properly, I didn't feel my back until I went to stand up. It really screamed then, but I was still smiling!

I'm loving it, so much so that my husband has requested the phone number of the range where i'll be shooting when I get my own rifle, so that he can ask the guys to pack me up and bring me home lol

Take care mate!
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 28 Aug 2014, 8:18 pm

jennageit wrote:To top it all off, today I had a physio appointment (hell on earth), and got a great result.

It seems that the surgeons who were almost predicting the end of the world, well life as I know it, may just have been wrong. If I keep up my exercises, I should be as close to normal as I can be (without surgery) within 6 months.

Last night, whilst shooting, when I first sat down my back was screaming at me, but when I started concentrating on what I was doing, properly, I didn't feel my back until I went to stand up. It really screamed then, but I was still smiling!

I'm loving it, so much so that my husband has requested the phone number of the range where i'll be shooting when I get my own rifle, so that he can ask the guys to pack me up and bring me home lol

Take care mate!

Good to hear the backs getting better, I have a few health issues too and they can certainly limit one's life.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by jennageit » 28 Aug 2014, 8:57 pm

I'm very happy.

I'm sore today, and will have to miss shooting next week due to having to drive all the way too and from Melbourne, then doing an info session at the Primary School (I'd think it would be un-necessary, given I've put at least 4 kids through that school), so I'll be doing a fleeting visit to pay my membership (club) and then leaving again (if I can manage to drag myself away).

I'm off all the heavy duty painkillers too!

Plus, the best part of all, my hubby has been looking at future rifles for me! I'm set!
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by tom604 » 28 Aug 2014, 9:23 pm

your shooting like a pro, looking at those targets you would of knocked over any fox that you shot at 8-)
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 28 Aug 2014, 9:28 pm

I hate taking meds, I've seen what they can do to a person, I try to go natural as much as I can.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by GPostal » 28 Aug 2014, 10:58 pm

Blue suede shoes at a shooting range ? Bit fancy that is.

Good shoot esp as its 1 shot per target. Some good centres there too, SK Ammo ?
Some .22's--Lots of 303 Lithgows--Tactical Mosin--7mm and an 8mm--Underover--Farmers Shottie--Angel and Omark
GPostal
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by jennageit » 29 Aug 2014, 7:28 pm

All I know about the ammo was it was winchester brand target bullets.
I'm learning it all bit by bit. This time around, although the guys set the bench up for me, and sort of sighted it in, it was up to me to position it correctly, and load it every time, unlike my first visit. A comment was made when I was done and had finished cleaning up my mess that they noticed the time frame between my shots got shorter over the course of the targets, so they figured I was starting to get the hang of it and relaxing a bit.

The guys are incredibly careful, but look so practiced, at what they do, that I'm taking my lead from them.

My issue now is that I hate the ear muffs that I have to use there, so I'm looking at picking up something smaller next week. For the last couple of shots (far right side - 4 targets) I took the earmuffs off and didn't find it too bad, but it was only 4 shots. any more, and I think it'd be an issue, so I'm going to find some that sit in my ear and still work pretty well.

Oh, and hubby has said that he might just buy me a secondhand Anschutz Target Rifle if I continue to enjoy what I'm doing. :)
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Norton » 30 Aug 2014, 8:13 am

jennageit wrote:Also, I've attached the pic cos apparently if there isn't a photo, it didn't happen :lol:

Scientifically proven fact.
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by veep » 30 Aug 2014, 8:15 am

GPostal wrote:Blue suede shoes at a shooting range ? Bit fancy that is.

Er I'm lost.

You're wearing suede the the range of rocking out with the king there? :lol:
veep
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Usurper » 30 Aug 2014, 8:17 am

A couple right on the money there.

Now you can brag you can hit a 5c coin eh? ;)
.308 CZ 550 American
.222 Tikka Varmint
.357 Mag Marlin 1894
Usurper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Lorgar » 30 Aug 2014, 8:18 am

jennageit wrote:...might just buy me a secondhand Anschutz Target Rifle if I continue to enjoy what I'm doing. :)

Love my Anschütz. If you're splurging on a .22 they're about the best.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Supporter » 30 Aug 2014, 8:18 am

Fine shooting for a second timer there Jenna.

Good luck with the continued improvement of your back.
Winchester 1894 30-30
Howa Varminter .204 Ruger
Savage Model 10/110 Trophy Hunter XP 30-06 Springfield
Supporter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by VICHunter » 30 Aug 2014, 8:19 am

Had a go at some groups yet Jenna?
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Althasaur » 30 Aug 2014, 8:53 am

For the earmuffs you could try earmold earplugs. They are formed to fit inside the ear and take about an hour to set and cure.
It was the first purchase I made when my wife and I decided to keep shooting after our try shooting day.
I think we are at about the same stage, Still working on going through the training and club membership requirements etc to get our licence.
Where I shoot though we have electronic targets, so it scores automatically :)
Althasaur
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by jennageit » 30 Aug 2014, 10:30 am

Hi guys,

I haven't had a go at groups yet VIChunter. I was told last Wednesday night that I was to put one through each target, after I had put 2 in the first one lol (I was kind of hoping to go for grouping, but anyway).

As for my back, it doesn't hurt when I'm walking around, but it's sore otherwise. I have to take it slow, but it's definitely getting better, which is fantastic!

The Anschutz will be my dream rifle, if it's anything like what I've been shooting with lately. In saying that, I've never actually had to hold one up to my shoulder, so I'll try that out first. Hubby is more than a little happy with my shooting results, so he's already on the lookout for my next rifle (haven't got my first one yet!).

I was going to drop into Clayton Firearms on Wednesday, but I've had planned changed on me, so I'm going to head to Morwell and see if Alpine Country have the three rifles I want to have a look at.

I'll look for some earmould ear muffs. I can't stand the can ones, they get in the way.
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by wrenchman » 30 Aug 2014, 11:03 am

my son has to have them for any shooting he is hearing impaired he has a typ that fits in the ear they look like his aids he likes them better then the cup typ
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Baronvonrort » 31 Aug 2014, 2:31 pm

jennageit wrote:
As for my back, it doesn't hurt when I'm walking around, but it's sore otherwise. I have to take it slow, but it's definitely getting better, which is fantastic!

The Anschutz will be my dream rifle, if it's anything like what I've been shooting with lately. In saying that, I've never actually had to hold one up to my shoulder, so I'll try that out first. Hubby is more than a little happy with my shooting results, so he's already on the lookout for my next rifle (haven't got my first one yet!).

I'll look for some earmould ear muffs. I can't stand the can ones, they get in the way.

Nice shooting,targets don't move so they will always be easier than shooting ferals.

If you are going to make target shooting a regular thing the Anshutz is the rifle to get,they cost more you can pass them down to your kids if they behave and avoid a criminal record, the other choices will not look as good on the range, the Anshutz 1416 has a 23 inch barrel so would have slightly more velocity over the shorter barrel other choices so they hit a little harder on the furry ferals.

I would put your car hobby on hold, you have the fox and wild dog bounty so the Anshutz could pay for itself if you pick a few of them off,sweet talk your hubby,lol.

You need to pick up each rifle to see how comfortable you are with it before narrowing the list down.

Ear plugs are ok for shooting 22lr.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by inspector » 01 Sep 2014, 11:54 am

Baronvonrort wrote:Nice shooting,targets don't move so they will always be easier than shooting ferals.

If you want a challenge maybe let a target go in a light breeze? :lol:
inspector
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by hoogle » 01 Sep 2014, 11:56 am

Baronvonrort wrote:Ear plugs are ok for shooting 22lr.

Or nothing if everyone's shooting subsonics. ( IMHO ).

If someone's shooting HV ammo though chuck the ear plugs in. "Stingers" is the right label for those on the ears.
hoogle
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by jennageit » 04 Sep 2014, 8:26 am

I went shooting again last night, scored 193 on the first card and 179 on the second, so not so good.
I'm still loving it, and looking forward to next Wednesday already lol
Jenna
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by jordy » 04 Sep 2014, 11:58 am

jennageit wrote:I went shooting again last night, scored 193 on the first card and 179 on the second, so not so good.

How pro were you expecting to be after 3 goes? :lol:

Go easy on yaself :P
jordy
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by RDobber » 04 Sep 2014, 11:59 am

You'll get better.

We were all shooting big groups once ;)
300 Win Mag Fanboy

Tikka, Tikka, Tikka, BOOM!
RDobber
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by jennageit » 19 Sep 2014, 4:25 pm

Wednesday just gone, I scored a 189/200 then 191/200. I'm still chasing 9 points, and I've picked up different tips from the guys. I'm not as consistent as I want to be, and scoring anywhere between 178 and 193.

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I'm getting some coaching next week, so I'm hoping things go well. Apparently when I consistent shoot 194's or 5's, I'll get to move to the new targets.

Now, I'm just waiting for my license (my TRV membership pack came in the mail yesterday), and then I can finally get my rifle.

Jenna
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Manimal » 21 Sep 2014, 1:42 pm

jennageit wrote:I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong

Don't stress.

Bit by bit the little things come together. Breathing, trigger pull, body shake on the rifle... They'll all upset things to start with but you crack them one by one.
Manimal
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by jennageit » 21 Sep 2014, 4:55 pm

Going to the range with the guys teaching me has shown me that there is SO much more than just "point and shoot".

My dad made it look so easy! lol

At least shooting has no real age limit. Everything else I've taken up I've had to give up for one physical reason or another. Even with my dodgy back, I'm able to shoot, so I'm happy lol

Jenna
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Old Fart » 22 Sep 2014, 9:52 am

Definitely a sport for all those with the old dickie knee.
Winchester Model 70 Featherweight - .270 Winchester Short Magnum
Uberti 1873 Short Rifle - .45 Colt
Winchester Model 70 Coyote Varmint - .22-250 Remington
Old Fart
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Next

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges