Second go at shooting, and I'm loving it! results below

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

Re: Second go at shooting, and I'm loving it! results below

Post by Patrol66 » 25 Sep 2014, 6:37 pm

Hey Jenna. Don't get to hung about shooting groups. What your doing, shooting one bullet per target is same in my opinion . Your shooting better than me . When you get your rifle home and sighted, those foxes don't stand a chance. Cheers Brad
Rem 700- 223, Marlin xt 22, Rem 700 - 30-06 ( not mine , but in my safe )
Patrol66
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by jennageit » 25 Sep 2014, 6:45 pm

I figure that given I'll be going into town at least 3 times a week, I can go to the range and get in plenty of practice.

We've got cattle everywhere on our place at the moment (until just after christmas) so I can't really shoot here now.

But as soon as my licence comes through, I'll have keys to the range, so I'm set!
Back from a break, and ready to shoot again :)
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Apollo » 25 Sep 2014, 8:05 pm

Hang on a second....

Unless there is really something weird about Victoria's Gun Laws since when can just anybody get a key to a Range, who is the Range Officer.... ??? Who is going to be in charge and be the responsible person for running the Range...???

Things are certainly different in NSW.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by jennageit » 25 Sep 2014, 8:47 pm

Apollo wrote:Hang on a second....

What happen to the Sheep and the RSPCA, what happened to the Contaminated Dam Water. How many Acres was that...!!!! Cattle everywhere, from memory the size of the place isn't big enough to have one Cow unless someone has a barn full of feed.

Unless there is really something weird about Victoria's Gun Laws since when can just anybody get a key to a Range, who is the Range Officer.... ??? Who is going to be in charge and be the responsible person for running the Range...???

Things are certainly different in NSW.

Hi Apollo,
I'll take this one by one.

I had to get rid of the sheep for the moment, due to the foxes, and the dam being contaminated by the ducks. The cattle belong to a mate of mine, and at present he has put quite a few on here to get the grass down. The grass is long enough that it is up to their beliies, and we have snakes coming up to the house again. At the moment, we've got cows in every paddock (5 paddocks - 7acres) which doesn't give me anywhere to shoot. The cattle will go when the grass is down to a manageable level.
By that time, my license should be back (along with the PTA) and i'll be able to buy my rifle. Regarding the dam, my neighbour has been shooting the ducks on his dams (one is close to ours) and we are only seeing three or four a day (for the past week or so) on the dam because of this (I assume that's the reason anyway).

The cattle are here short term. It rests his place, and gets the grass under control at our place. We don't have a tractor, slasher or anything like that, and given the lack of size to our property, no-one is really interested in cutting hay off it.

As for the range, I'll be meeting the range master at the range each time I want to shoot (we've agreed to two days a week). He'll be in charge, but I'm allowed to open the front door and put the kettle on. I wont have keys to the padlocks or locks on the two back rooms, just the club room. He's agreed to come and coach me twice a week, and I'll still have the Wednesday nights, so that's 3 times a week. He's also made the offer of me coming to the range when he goes there on the "off" days.

So, that's the story.

Jenna
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Apollo » 25 Sep 2014, 9:00 pm

Sounds good... you had me worried.

Must be good ground as the best on the Tablelands around here is rated at 3 Sheep per Acre or 1 Cow per 10 acres for all year feed. Some do double that but it doesn't take much for them to be in trouble, big time.

BTW... I have 30 breeding Cows on 300 Acres of pasture. It costs a fortune to keep up the fertiliser spreading and during a dry time a lot of money buying in feed. But in really good times I simply lock up paddocks and let them seed and the dry feed rot down to provide mulch for the ground. That's enough for me over a couple of decades being permanently disabled.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by jennageit » 26 Sep 2014, 2:23 am

We get incredible growth down here, and because we're in a gully of sorts, when my neighbor fertilises and it rains, we get it for free lol

I had 53 ewes and 11 lambs here last year and only needed to feed out in the last weeks of winter and early spring. I ended up selling all but 20, who hadn't lambed at that stage.

Jenna
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by vexesus » 26 Sep 2014, 10:43 am

jennageit wrote:We get incredible growth down here, and because we're in a gully of sorts, when my neighbor fertilises and it rains, we get it for free lol

I thought "s**t rolls down hill" was supposed to be a bad expression :D
vexesus
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by jennageit » 26 Sep 2014, 11:23 am

Me too vexesus, but it's proven quite profitable for us!

Slaughtered two lambs last year. They were four months old, and we took 17 kilo's of meat off one and 13 off the other.

This grass is goooooood! lol
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Previous

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges