Rifle Ranges close to Melbourne

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

Rifle Ranges close to Melbourne

Post by FuzzyM » 28 Aug 2014, 11:36 am

I am fairly new to shooting, with a few mates who are getting into it too.
I currently use my .22 for pest hunting on my family farm and state forest.

I now have a .223 on the way and my mate has a .270 he is waiting on, sadly they are a bit loud to sight in on the farm.

I know there are target clubs near me, but I don't think I want to join a club requiring regular attendance just yet.

I know Lilydale Rifle Club will let people come and sight in rifles by appointment, but it would be good to just go to a range and sight in/practice etc.

Am I correct that Little River is about my only choice for a "public" centerfire rifle range?

Seeing as I live in the Yarra Valley, it is a bit of a drive to get there.
FuzzyM
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Rifle Ranges close to Melbourne

Post by veep » 28 Aug 2014, 11:39 am

FuzzyM wrote:Am I correct that Little River is about my only choice for a "public" centerfire rifle range?

To just turn up and shoot whatever, however you want yes.

There are a few competition ranges around where you can book times to sight in and that sort of thing but they mean sight in. As in you should be done in half an hour. No mucking about.

Little River is the only really flexible one.
veep
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by FuzzyM » 28 Aug 2014, 2:25 pm

Thanks. Pity there isn't an SSAA Centerfire range out this side of Melbourne, plenty of nice safe hills around here :)
FuzzyM
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Seconds » 30 Aug 2014, 11:32 am

I think the thing with the ranges is they have to meet all the requirements of a template.

I don't know the specs but it's things like length of the range, back drop, what's behind the backdrop, width, what calibres will be shot and maybe others?

Doesn't matter if it's a mountain if the other stuff isn't right. As I understand it anyway, there are a couple of guys here who run a range in NSW who might chime in and specify more.
Sako 85 Hunter
.308 Winchester
Seconds
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by 1290 » 30 Aug 2014, 1:58 pm

You have open 'ranges' all around you.... pick a spot in the state forest to 'hunt'....and you'll be right..

Little River is quite a drive from the eastern suburbs and yarra valley for a shoot, hence I am (just quietly) working with a group of like minded shooters to establish an indoor range with 25 and 100m -unlimited- pistol/rifle/sg ranges.... still in feasibility / design phase (sorry you can't join up just yet)...
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by jennageit » 30 Aug 2014, 4:20 pm

Staying on topic here:

I'm a complete newbie so know nothing about ranges other than my local one which i've been to twice.

Over the years, have there been more ranges established and opened up, or has their been a decrease?

And any ideas why?

And Fuzzy, I was going to suggest Lilydale, but nevermind :)
Back from a break, and ready to shoot again :)
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by AusC » 01 Sep 2014, 10:17 am

About the same?

A few have closed (in QLD I think most recently?), a couple in NSW are newer.

Vic has been the same as long as I can remember.
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by whert » 01 Sep 2014, 10:18 am

1290 wrote:Little River is quite a drive from the eastern suburbs and yarra valley for a shoot, hence I am (just quietly) working with a group of like minded shooters to establish an indoor range with 25 and 100m -unlimited- pistol/rifle/sg ranges.... still in feasibility / design phase (sorry you can't join up just yet)...

Say when :D
Weatherby Vanguard S2 .270 Winchester
Mossberg M464 30-30
Gamo Maxima .177
whert
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by scrolllock » 01 Sep 2014, 10:18 am

A closer SE Melb 100m range would be awesome.

I'll be there if it gets off the ground.
scrolllock
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges