What exactly takes place in a competition shoot? (newbie)

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

What exactly takes place in a competition shoot? (newbie)

Post by Bauer » 01 Sep 2014, 10:27 pm

Hi guys I just had a question regarding these "competition shoots" you are required to do to maintain (and attain) your pistol license

It would be greatly appreciated if someone could explain to me what exactly it is? Competition sounds a bit intimidating to me lol. Will I be competing with other people or will I be alone? I just wanted to know what is expected of me so I'm not a nuisance to anyone when I get there and don't walk around like an idiot not knowing what to do.

If it matters I will most likely be going to the SSAA Southport Branch on the gold coast
Bauer
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: What exactly takes place in a competition shoot? (newbie

Post by Baldrick314 » 02 Sep 2014, 8:06 am

I was intimidated to be competing at first too but it's not such a big deal. What actually takes place in a comp depends on what match you choose to shoot.

Every match has a order of fire that outlines any time constraints and how many targets you have to engage and in what order to do it.

Also to fulfil your licensing requirements you only have to submit a certain amount of scores. For the first 6 months of having my licence I didn't compete, I showed up on practice days when the range was less crowded and ran through the match with other people who were practicing and submitted a score based on that.

Lastly, you'll find people are a lot more welcoming than you first expect. They all remember what it was like to be the new guy who didn't know anyone.

Do some research on what match you want to do and find out when they shoot it, then show up and start talking to people and help out where you can. Those guys will help you out with choosing equipment for the match and what pricing is good.

When I had decided on my match I'd go out on shooting days and help pick up brass after the shoot and just talk with the guys, before I knew it they were offering me to shoot their pistols and helping me find deals on my own pistol and reloading gear.

May have got a little side tracked there, just go out and enjoy it and don't be intimidated by 'competing', it's not a huge deal.
.177, .22lr, .22-250R, 2x .308W, .30-30W, 7.62x54r, 8x56r, 9x19, .357 Mag, 12GA
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by yoshie » 02 Sep 2014, 1:18 pm

It's not so much a competition, it's just a club organised match, most clubs will have a few matches on their calendars each weekend. Each state/club has different requirements as to what constitutes a comp, such as must be on the calender, must have an RO or scores must be recorded, etc. Basically you can't just turn up and fire off a few and count it as a match. I think NSW accepts up to 2 practices as 2 of the required attendance.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Baldrick314 » 02 Sep 2014, 2:20 pm

yoshie wrote:It's not so much a competition, it's just a club organised match, most clubs will have a few matches on their calendars each weekend. Each state/club has different requirements as to what constitutes a comp, such as must be on the calender, must have an RO or scores must be recorded, etc. Basically you can't just turn up and fire off a few and count it as a match. I think NSW accepts up to 2 practices as 2 of the required attendance.

In NSW you just have to submit a score for an approved match, they don't take into account whether it's on a comp day or not
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Wobble » 02 Sep 2014, 3:08 pm

Lots of guys get upset and blame the wind for things.
Weatherby Vanguards in .300 Weatherby Magnum and .243 Winchester
Wobble
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Baldrick314 » 02 Sep 2014, 3:24 pm

Wobble wrote:Lots of guys get upset and blame the wind for things.

:lol: Shh you'll turn him off it haha
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by scrolllock » 02 Sep 2014, 3:40 pm

Bauer wrote:Hi guys I just had a question regarding these "competition shoots" you are required to do to maintain (and attain) your pistol license

It's almost the same as doing your own thing at the range anyway really.

I don't have my pistol license but they do it at my local range and I've watched a few.

Everyone just signs in and gets to their bench. The RO gives them the go ahead and everyone shoots until the break.

Bring in the targets. Rinse and repeat.
scrolllock
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Herdsman » 02 Sep 2014, 3:41 pm

+1 above.

They don't stand around you in a circle judging you and mocking your shooting Bauer :lol:
Shepherding bullets down range.

Tikka Hunter Stainless Fluted 300 Win Mag
Tikka Battue Lite .308 Win
Tikka Varmint Stainless .222 Rem
Herdsman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by yoshie » 02 Sep 2014, 5:29 pm

Baldrick314 wrote:
yoshie wrote:It's not so much a competition, it's just a club organised match, most clubs will have a few matches on their calendars each weekend. Each state/club has different requirements as to what constitutes a comp, such as must be on the calender, must have an RO or scores must be recorded, etc. Basically you can't just turn up and fire off a few and count it as a match. I think NSW accepts up to 2 practices as 2 of the required attendance.

In NSW you just have to submit a score for an approved match, they don't take into account whether it's on a comp day or not

At metro in Brisbane, they have score books that the ro signs, Sspc in Canberra you need to write a score in a book, only one per day counts. All clubs have a different method and each state has these own requirements.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Baldrick314 » 02 Sep 2014, 6:00 pm

yoshie wrote:At metro in Brisbane, they have score books that the ro signs, Sspc in Canberra you need to write a score in a book, only one per day counts. All clubs have a different method and each state has these own requirements.

Sounds like a lot of rigmarole lol. At our club you fill out your score sheet and then drop it in a score box and fill out a computer score sheet just so you have a backup
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Tiiger » 03 Sep 2014, 4:10 pm

Bauer wrote:Competition sounds a bit intimidating to me lol.

Nah, everyone's just there to do their own thing.

Give it a go bud, it's fun.
Tiiger
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Patrol66 » 03 Sep 2014, 6:36 pm

Pistol shooting crowd down at Springvale were very good to me when I was involved as a newbie, had heaps of good times
Rem 700- 223, Marlin xt 22, Rem 700 - 30-06 ( not mine , but in my safe )
Patrol66
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by scrolllock » 04 Sep 2014, 10:53 am

Springvale's my local range I mentioned above :)

Next time I'm there maybe I can video a shoot for Bauer and upload here.
scrolllock
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges