Can factory ammo be as good as hand loads?

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

Can factory ammo be as good as hand loads?

Post by wayward » 05 Sep 2014, 12:07 pm

Like it says,

Do you ever get factory ammo that's just perfect for a rifle?

Without tuning seating depth and that kind of stuff with hand loads, will any factory ammo just match up and shoot perfect or is it all made conservatively to fit in everything?

How about consistency too? Things like batched projectiles, neck turning for tension, batched brass. Is any of this ever done for factory ammo?
wayward
Private
Private

Western Australia

Re: Can factory ammo be as good as hand loads?

Post by Aussier » 05 Sep 2014, 2:01 pm

Somewhere out there I'm sure there is a match made in heaven and a brand of rifle matches perfectly with a brand of ammo, but for the most part no.

Tuning hand loads for your rifle will be better 99% of the time.
Aussier
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Grrzrr » 08 Sep 2014, 2:45 pm

There are so many factors that contribute to accuracy.

Projectile weight, type, powder charge and burn rate, seating depth, neck tension...

The chance of getting all that perfect for one rifle out of the pack is nil.
Grrzrr
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 08 Sep 2014, 3:46 pm

Grrzrr wrote:There are so many factors that contribute to accuracy.

Projectile weight, type, powder charge and burn rate, seating depth, neck tension...

Not true. I've seen factory ammo shoot as well as handloads in some rifles, my Howa 204 shoots the 32gn Remington Accutips very well as it does the Federal Premium grade stuff too (surprised me just how well to be honest) and a mates rifle shoots the 308 Fed Premium stuff real well too.

But generally speaking factory ammo won't shoot as well as tuning a rifle with handloads.

4 shot groups using Rem and Fed Factory ammo.

Used the Rem Factory Ammo to shoot these bunnies at 220m-257m off the side of a hill.

bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Grrzrr » 09 Sep 2014, 3:56 pm

bigfellascott wrote:Not true. I've seen factory ammo shoot as well as handloads in some rifles, my Howa 204 shoots the 32gn Remington Accutips very well as it does the Federal Premium grade stuff too (surprised me just how well to be honest) and a mates rifle shoots the 308 Fed Premium stuff real well too.

I didn't saying all factory ammo is terrible.

A matched hand load will always perform well though, and in most cases better than the closest factory ammo.

I think that's an accurate answer to OP's question.
Grrzrr
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by squirrelhunter » 09 Sep 2014, 3:56 pm

My Scout always like Federal Ballistic tips.

MOA groups which is what you expect from this rifle.
Ruger Gunsite Scout in .308
Bushnell 3-9x 40mm - Multi-X
squirrelhunter
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Lorgar » 09 Sep 2014, 3:58 pm

My Hawkeye's liked the Federal Premium too.

.308 and .243 with the Ballistic Tips.

Can't say the same for their powershock or whatever the soft points are call. Shooting 8" groups with those in my .308.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 09 Sep 2014, 5:38 pm

Grrzrr wrote:There are so many factors that contribute to accuracy.

Grrzrr wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:Not true. I've seen factory ammo shoot as well as handloads in some rifles, my Howa 204 shoots the 32gn Remington Accutips very well as it does the Federal Premium grade stuff too (surprised me just how well to be honest) and a mates rifle shoots the 308 Fed Premium stuff real well too.

I didn't saying all factory ammo is terrible.

A matched hand load will always perform well though, and in most cases better than the closest factory ammo.

I think that's an accurate answer to OP's question.

I never said you did did I? you did however say that Projectile weight, type, powder charge and burn rate, seating depth, neck tension...

The chance of getting all that perfect for one rifle out of the pack is nil. Clearly it seems to me they have achieved a good result with the ammo I've used in my 204 and have seen some incredible results with 308 ammo too

I mean would you be unhappy to use factory ammo if it shot like that? :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Grrzrr » 10 Sep 2014, 7:51 pm

Not unhappy.

It just wouldn't be "as good" as hand loads, even if only short by a meaningless fraction ;)

Whatever works for you mate. No agro here.
Grrzrr
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by wayward » 10 Sep 2014, 7:51 pm

I'll take all this as a 'nearly the same' answer hey? :D

Thanks people.
wayward
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by Bennybigbores » 13 Sep 2014, 9:31 pm

As already stated you may find factory that shoots almost perfectly in a particular rifle, but hand loads can be tuned to out perform any factory ammo 99.99% of the time. There are definetly A grade top shelf ammo that out perform most other factory ammo but it all comes back to what suits the rifle. I have a .22lr that groups no better than 3" at 50 with premium Winchester and cci ammo, the run highland ammo at 1/4 the price and pull consistent 1" groups. Customised ammo will always outperform factory always, depending of course of abilities and knowledge of reloader
Howa axiom varmint .243
C.Gustav 6.5x55 (sporterised)
Savage mkII T.hole varmint 17hmr
Chiappa lever action 12g
Baikal S.Shot .308
Mossberg plinkster .22
Norinco lever .22
E.T.C
Bennybigbores
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Timb0 » 14 Sep 2014, 1:45 am

I have had a factory load shoot really good in one rifle and my home loads I could only improve a few mm on. However most of my rifles when I find the right powder and charge along with brass prep and seating depth it can make a massive difference.
Marlin XT22 .22lr, Ruger M77/22 .22wmr, Rem 7615 .223, Ruger M77 .223, Weatherby MarkV .243, Rem 700 VLS .243, Kimber Montana .270, Weatherby MarkV .270Wby mag, Rem 700 .308, Khan ATac 12ga.
Timb0
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Swarm » 15 Sep 2014, 11:05 am

Bennybigbores wrote:There are definetly A grade top shelf ammo that out perform most other factory ammo but it all comes back to what suits the rifle.

And what suits your wallet. Said ' A grade top shelf ammo' is usually 4 times the price of hand loading it yourself.
Sako 75 Hunter IV 6.5x55 SE with Leupold VX-3L 4.5-14x50mm
CZ 455 .22LR with Leupold VX-R 3-9x40mm CDS
Winchester 88 .284 Winchester
Swarm
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by whert » 15 Sep 2014, 8:04 pm

You'd be crazy to buy premo factory ammo unless you literally shoot just a couple of rounds a year.

$90 a box or thereabouts for most of them. Your pay off your reloading gear in no time flat if doing it yourself instead of that.
Weatherby Vanguard S2 .270 Winchester
Mossberg M464 30-30
Gamo Maxima .177
whert
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges