October weekend at WindamereRSC NSW

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

October weekend at WindamereRSC NSW

Post by Hilux2003 » 08 Sep 2014, 10:29 pm

Planning is underway for the next Weekender shoot at Windamere Regional Shooting Complex, scheduled for 17th - 19th October (this year!)

There will be some formal structure to the 'shooting events' this time, which (with limited RO's available) will limit ranges & some activities.
Previous events have been a bit "open season" in some areas, resulting in some undesirable happenings (not unsafe, just not what the Complex needs).

Further info will be added as we get the weekend sorted.

Pistol - Rifle - Archery - 'other bits'.

While we have access to some excellent ranges & choise of target styles, we must be aware that any damage to the facilities has to be repaired.

Previously some of this damage has been just "ho, ho, we'll worry about it after" or "she'll be right, no worries".

This has now stopped.

Those who attend the next weekender shooting thingy will have to accept responsibility for their actions.

Once we get the events/matchs/practice stuff sorted, I'll post it.
Hilux2003
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: October weekend at WindamereRSC NSW

Post by bigfellascott » 09 Sep 2014, 4:09 am

Sorry to hear that Hilux, its a shame how some treat things at times.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Seconds » 09 Sep 2014, 12:09 pm

Fair enough :)

Keep us posted.
Sako 85 Hunter
.308 Winchester
Seconds
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by batter » 09 Sep 2014, 3:16 pm

What was getting damaged? :?
batter
Private
Private

Northern Territory

Post by Apollo » 10 Sep 2014, 11:04 pm

I can feel some 300-500m Fly practise coming on, hope it's hot so I can get some mirage practise in too.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by huccl » 11 Sep 2014, 4:51 pm

Maybe... We'll see how it goes :lol:
Browning A-Bolt M-1000 Eclipse 308 Win
CZ 453 Varmint 22LR
huccl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Hilux2003 » 11 Sep 2014, 9:55 pm

Re: the damage & other things to rant about.

Target(s) set too close to the 'stock fence' & wires shot out.
I can understand one wire being hit (distance to fence is 5m max.) but when you hit one, you should stop & rethink what the problem is. Then rectify the problem, ie. move the target further away so you are not shooting through a fence!

FIVE wires later! Someone decided to stop!
DSCF1542.jpg
fence damage
DSCF1542.jpg (372.23 KiB) Viewed 6892 times

DSCF1545.jpg
fence damage
DSCF1545.jpg (313.1 KiB) Viewed 6892 times

Someone at a past shoot used a centrefire on a lead only rimfire target.
DSCF1535.jpg
.22LR dueling tree shot with jacketed centrefire.
DSCF1535.jpg (231.66 KiB) Viewed 6892 times

I was not present but had to do the repairs, not impressed at all.

It's good to see the response to "another invite/weekender shoot". We nearly always get some first time range users, a few P650 shooters (the P650 is a NSW thing) & a fair roll up of the previous attendees, otherwise know as "the usual suspects".

The format / schedule for October is still under discussion. A definite will be the 300m Fly competition on range 2 on the Sunday, Apollo will expand on this once we sort out some details.

The sillygun & anything under lights on range 1 - will be be on - once we get the lights sorted.

There will be a change to shooting, different from previous shoots - there will be a briefing prior to the shooting & if you do not attend & pay attention to what is said = you will not shoot! No further arguments will be entertained on the day, you either attend the briefing or the gates the way out.

Pistol will be scheduled, not 'as hock' in previous shoots. It will not share a range with rifles.

Any "training/class room" stuff MUST BE approved by the club prior to the shoot, this is not negotiable.

Just as long as we all understand & appreciate the above = we will all get along, just fine.
Hilux2003
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by SendIt » 12 Sep 2014, 11:43 am

Hilux2003 wrote:Someone at a past shoot used a centrefire on a lead only rimfire target.

There's always one...
Sako 85 Hunter Laminated Stainless 30-06 Sprg
Zeiss Conquest HD5 2-10x42

Winchester 1892 44-40
SendIt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by ebr love » 12 Sep 2014, 11:44 am

The old "I don't think my .308 will go through that..." :lol:
TIKKA T3 TAC .300 WIN MAG
HOW SPORTER 270 WIN
HOWA YOUTH .204 RUGER
MARLIN 1889 .38-40
ebr love
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Vati » 12 Sep 2014, 1:07 pm

I'll admit I'm guilty of hitting a wire once.

Once though... Whoever shot 5 out isn't exactly a member of the brain trust.
Reach out and touch...
Vati
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by mahna » 12 Sep 2014, 1:08 pm

Keen as mustard :D
.270 Savage Axis XP
Weaver 40/44 3-10x44
mahna
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Apollo » 13 Sep 2014, 4:32 pm

On Sunday. A 300m Fly Shoot run pretty much the same as any Registered Fly Shoot so the same rules will apply, Warmer target, time limits but the rest is up in the air at present until I talk further with "Hilux2003" .....

It could start early depending on who/how many wants to join. Category, Factory (Not Target) over the counter firearm, Custom being Light Gun under 17lbs and Heavy Gun over 17lbs....

Give us an idea, are you interested..... ????

It could be 5 scoring shots on each target of maybe 3 targets with sighters, or 10 shots on 2 targets with no sighters. A full competition is one Warmer Target and Five Score Targets which I think is a bit much for a first time event and people who don't shoot competition or want to....plus it's a full day of shooting.

Are you interested in trying your hand at a properly run competition.

Other shooters on Range 2 on Sunday will just have to work in between the competition. In other words, there will be a lot of "Range Closed" whilst the targets are changed and you will be up the other end of the competition benches which will have Fly Targets at 300m only....!!!!

Sunday is Benchrest Day... so here is the beginning. In the future this may be extended to 500m Fly and there maybe a 500m practise in October....maybe, that's up to Range Officers and Organisers.... I'm just a participant trying to organise something interesting other than just plinking away at nothing.

BTW.... There will be an extra cost to participate, a few dollars to cover target cost. Depending on numbers there maybe a prize, maybe other stuff.... depends on interest....so, nominate if you are interested.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by VICHunter » 15 Sep 2014, 11:43 am

Hilux2003 wrote:I was not present but had to do the repairs, not impressed at all.

A bloke I know was surprised to get himself uninvited from a property for this.

Shot 4 fence wires out without even noticing and left after the hunt there. Owner was understandably pissed to be out on his property the next day to find holes all through his fence without so much as a "Sorry about this but I..." from the shooter.
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 15 Sep 2014, 11:54 am

VICHunter wrote:
Hilux2003 wrote:I was not present but had to do the repairs, not impressed at all.

A bloke I know was surprised to get himself uninvited from a property for this.

Shot 4 fence wires out without even noticing and left after the hunt there. Owner was understandably pissed to be out on his property the next day to find holes all through his fence without so much as a "Sorry about this but I..." from the shooter.

How could he appolgise if he didn't notice he'd done anything? :?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by VICHunter » 15 Sep 2014, 4:07 pm

True, doesn't dull the sting for the owner when get gets out there and finds his fence wrecked though I guess.

You'd have had to see the fence to appreciate I suppose. The shooting spot was only about 20m from the fence and he took out 4 wires opening some pretty big holes. Enough for a few lambs to find their way out. Maybe being overly critical here but seemed like the kind of thing he should have noticed.

In any case, I'm just sharing the story and that's what happened. The owner was pissed and that's the state of things last time I heard.
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 15 Sep 2014, 4:36 pm

VICHunter wrote:True, doesn't dull the sting for the owner when get gets out there and finds his fence wrecked though I guess.

You'd have had to see the fence to appreciate I suppose. The shooting spot was only about 20m from the fence and he took out 4 wires opening some pretty big holes. Enough for a few lambs to find their way out. Maybe being overly critical here but seemed like the kind of thing he should have noticed.

In any case, I'm just sharing the story and that's what happened. The owner was pissed and that's the state of things last time I heard.

Fair enough mate, what sort of shooting was he doing to hit 4 wires?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by petemacsydney » 15 Sep 2014, 7:33 pm

hhhmmmm shooting weekend... i'm tempted!!! i couldn't make the last one because of work, but October looks free so far! ;-)

Hey Hilux, how'd you go with the lights for after dark clay / trap shooting?
_________
Are you ready for the Zombie apocalypse?
petemacsydney
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by VICHunter » 15 Sep 2014, 7:55 pm

bigfellascott wrote:Fair enough mate, what sort of shooting was he doing to hit 4 wires?

Just sighting in a couple of new rifles/scopes. It would have only been 40-50 shots or something.

Nothing crazy about the shooting itself, more just that he could have moved 20m forward and shot from the other side of the fence instead of through it and avoided the whole drama.

Oh well...
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 15 Sep 2014, 8:01 pm

Yeah I thought it must have been something like that, by the sounds of it he's a dimwit to some degree :roll: hopefully he will learn from his mistake hey.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by petemacsydney » 18 Sep 2014, 12:59 pm

hi guys, just wondering, will there be some clay target shooting at the October weekend? cheers pete
_________
petemacsydney
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by VICHunter » 18 Sep 2014, 3:19 pm

bigfellascott wrote:Yeah I thought it must have been something like that, by the sounds of it he's a dimwit to some degree :roll: hopefully he will learn from his mistake hey.

Well... This is the same bloke that also crashed into a gate of the land owners driving in the fog so I'm not getting my hopes up :lol:
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 18 Sep 2014, 4:48 pm

VICHunter wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:Yeah I thought it must have been something like that, by the sounds of it he's a dimwit to some degree :roll: hopefully he will learn from his mistake hey.

Well... This is the same bloke that also crashed into a gate of the land owners driving in the fog so I'm not getting my hopes up :lol:

:lol: bloody sounds like Mr Bean! :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by petemacsydney » 21 Sep 2014, 8:19 pm

Hi guys,

Is this an event that is open to noobs or more for existing contacts?

No probs either way, just want to check ;-)
_________
petemacsydney
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Sender » 22 Sep 2014, 10:45 am

(not my state) but pretty sure it's open mate.

There was a thread on the last one where a bunch of newbies went for the first time :)
Sender
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Hilux2003 » 24 Sep 2014, 8:43 pm

In reply to some questions.
Open shoot, bring your licence. P650 shooters - try to keep this to one per fully licenced shooter, we probably will have limited number of local accredited Range Officers available on the weekend & need to keep an eye on all happenings.

At this time: be prepared to bring all your required food & drinkies. A bit closer to the weekend & depending on "who wants to cook for all" on the Saturday night, we may end up with a few prepared to do some food at a cost to the attendees.

I'm still looking at the sillygun & clays thingy - Nicko can get us the throwers BUT we will be responsible for any DAMAGE or misadjustment to the gear.
Who (apart from Nuzo) actually knows what not to twiddle? on an IBIS thrower.
Hilux2003
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by petemacsydney » 24 Sep 2014, 9:49 pm

Is the ibis set up for trap DTL?
Its not a complex machine. I should be able to get a manual (if it doesn't come with one).
All in all, the ibis shld be PNP, but tweaking it will be pretty easy.
_________
petemacsydney
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by petemacsydney » 24 Sep 2014, 9:52 pm

By the way... agree with u on damage responsibility!!

Anyone who shoots a trap den (or unprotected thrower) is a tool and shouldn't be shoot in clays!!
_________
petemacsydney
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Seconds » 25 Sep 2014, 3:15 pm

When you do something stupid at a paintball range I went to you get 5 in the rump from about 10 metres to teach you a lesson.

Maybe all ranges need an RO walking around with a paintball marker dishing out some 'common sense' to shooters :lol:
Sako 85 Hunter
.308 Winchester
Seconds
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by petemacsydney » 25 Sep 2014, 6:29 pm

Lol, I like it, non lethal firearm related punishment.
_________
petemacsydney
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Sender » 26 Sep 2014, 8:42 am

Seconds wrote:When you do something stupid at a paintball range I went to you get 5 in the rump from about 10 metres to teach you a lesson.

There is always one person who can't stop taking their mask off in the field :roll:
Sender
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Next

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges