I'll never understand some shooters

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

I'll never understand some shooters

Post by Brute » 24 Sep 2014, 11:12 am

(warning - useless whinging ahead)

There are a pair of young blokes at the range I've seen a few times now, both with the latest in tacticool rifles. One with a Savage something, the other has the Rem700 Bullpup setup. Both 300 win mag, muzzle brakes and picatinny rails are far as the eye can see.

First trip I saw them they were both at 100m. Figured they were sighting in or whatever.

Saw them a few weeks later. Still at 100m. Ok.

Saw them for the third time still on 100m, this time with handfuls of shot targets with X group at 100m scribbled across them.

I don't understand why guys buy these things then live at 100m with them. Sore shoulders and empty wallets to do what a .223 sporter would do for you.

Little man syndrome? Youthful exuberance?

Anyway... I shouldn't care but it annoys me for some reason :lol:

End whinging.
The Hammer of Dawn
Brute
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: I'll never understand some shooters

Post by petemacsydney » 24 Sep 2014, 11:48 am

:lol: I've seen a couple of blokes at a range that constantly shoot their 243 and 308 at 25 meters.

They're like... "hey bro, did you f'n see that f'n group bro... its like fooly sik bro, best group ever..."

It makes me laugh...
_________
Are you ready for the Zombie apocalypse?
petemacsydney
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 24 Sep 2014, 11:59 am

Mentor, they need a nature responsible mentor.....hope they find one :lol:

Brute, it's not just young bloke and not just at short ranges. I sat at a bench once at 300m shooting my 7-08 with an untested load. The load didn't impress me but was holding 4" at 300m in gusty side winds.

Two blokes nearby shooting semi custom tacticool .308's with $2k scopes and couldn't keep them on paper.

Some purple appreciate help and guidance. Others can figure it out for them selves, eventually

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Blu333 » 24 Sep 2014, 12:48 pm

** More useless whinging Ahead**

OHHH the frustration I feel at Belmont, Madden Range (Brisbane) when you're only allowed to shoot at the 300-500m silhouettes from certain benches and knob heads(uninformed or just general knob heads) are sitting at BENCHES firing away at 25-50 yard targets with there clapped out Lee enfield 303's and not even hitting the paper. (not that they are a bad gun, they have there place)

Also don't you dare try and set up a bench down in the COMPLETELY EMPTY standing area (which has access to shoot to the aforementioned silhouettes :roll: ) otherwise you'll hear about it big time. :roll: That's why 95% of my shooting, even target is done off ranges and out at property's at Gatton. Probably wont be renewing my membership there and just pay full fee every time I've got to do a quick sight in close to home before heading out.

While i'm here, are any of the other ranges at the Belmont complex any better?? :D
Last edited by Blu333 on 24 Sep 2014, 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
12G Pardus LAX12 Marine 20"
12G Adler A110
12G Winchester 101 O/U
.308 Rem 7600P - Leupold Vx1 3-9x40mm
.308 Rem 700 VSFII - Nightforce 8-32x56mm
.223 Tikka Super Varmint - Leupold VX2 6-18x40mm
.22LR CZ 455 Bushnell 4-12
.22 Winchester Air Rifle
Blu333
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 24 Sep 2014, 12:54 pm

Yep plenty of em out there with very little idea of what's really involved. I had a couple of fella's a while back trying to sight in a 223 I think it was, my good - I don't know how many rounds they wasted trying to get it on paper let along sighted in properly. In the end I went down there and told them what to do and finally they were on paper within a few shots! :lol:

I suppose we were all green at one stage but I can't ever remember having some of the issues I see people having these days. I guess I had people around me who had been shooting for years in way form or another so no doubt that's what's made the difference, that bit of guidance from someone who knows what they are doing makes all the diff.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Hatter » 24 Sep 2014, 3:01 pm

petemacsydney wrote::lol: I've seen a couple of blokes at a range that constantly shoot their 243 and 308 at 25 meters.

I like to press the muzzle of my .22 up to a cardboard box and empty the magazine.

I get mad tight groups.
30-06 Steyr 98 -- .243W Steyr Pro Varmint -- 32-20 WCF Winchester 1885 -- 223 Remington 700 5R
Hatter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Wes » 24 Sep 2014, 3:07 pm

Chronos wrote:Some purple appreciate help and guidance.

Those are my kind of purple :D
Wes
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Harper » 24 Sep 2014, 3:08 pm

Autocowrecked.
Savage 14/114 American Classic 30-06 Springfield
Savage Axis 25-06 Remington
Harper
Corporal
Corporal

Northern Territory

Post by Harts » 24 Sep 2014, 3:21 pm

Know-it-all's on the internet need to stop telling everyone that 300 win mag is the target cartridge.

(not point fingers at anyone here).
Harts
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Chronos » 24 Sep 2014, 3:51 pm

Harts wrote:Know-it-all's on the internet need to stop telling everyone that 300 win mag is the target cartridge.

(not point fingers at anyone here).

Yeah, everyone knows you need a .338lap to get out to Afghanistan sniper ranges.....like past 400 :P :roll:

I remember telling some guy once about shooting centerfire silhouette at 200, 300, 385 and 500m. They were horrified to hear we used factory rifles....should have seen their faces when we told them it was all shot standing unsupported. :D

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by RDobber » 24 Sep 2014, 4:13 pm

Chronos wrote:should have seen their faces when we told them it was all shot standing unsupported. :D

With practice and skill you mean? Lies! :lol:
300 Win Mag Fanboy

Tikka, Tikka, Tikka, BOOM!
RDobber
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Harper » 24 Sep 2014, 4:19 pm

Chronos wrote:Yeah, everyone knows you need a .338lap to get out to Afghanistan sniper ranges.....like past 400 :P :roll:

Along those lines, I reckon a big part of it is people who have little or no shooting experience deciding they wan't to do "long range" shooting.

How many times have you read the "I want to do 1,500 yard shooting, what rifle should I buy?" question online?

I reckon they just read that 300wm is a cartridge for long range shooting and go off an buy one. No thought to what range they'll actually be shooting at.
Savage 14/114 American Classic 30-06 Springfield
Savage Axis 25-06 Remington
Harper
Corporal
Corporal

Northern Territory

Post by Combat_Wombat » 24 Sep 2014, 6:55 pm

Don't forget the tacticool guys shooting at 100 would be using 40x power scopes!
Remington 700 CDL .270
Rossi M92 44mag
CZ 452 deluxe .22LR
Howa 1500 .204
Savage FVSR 22
Combat_Wombat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Warrigul » 24 Sep 2014, 7:42 pm

Harper wrote:
Chronos wrote:Yeah, everyone knows you need a .338lap to get out to Afghanistan sniper ranges.....like past 400 :P :roll:

Along those lines, I reckon a big part of it is people who have little or no shooting experience deciding they wan't to do "long range" shooting.

How many times have you read the "I want to do 1,500 yard shooting, what rifle should I buy?" question online?

I reckon they just read that 300wm is a cartridge for long range shooting and go off an buy one. No thought to what range they'll actually be shooting at.

Honestly, I've got a 300WM, got it early on and often wonder why I still have it, I have called it my NT rifle. I have close friends in NZ and they rave about the 300 but they shoot at funny looking goaty like things between hilltops, there is a LOT of effort required to go 400m as the crow flies in some areas.

As far as making holes in paper goes a .308 handles it well out to 1000.

I actually don't care if people are shooting .308's at 25m and getting 3" groups as long as they are out there are having fun, fun comes in all forms.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by brett1868 » 24 Sep 2014, 9:50 pm

I'm with Warrigul, who cares what they are shooting and at what range. They're out there enjoying themselves and who are any of us to judge or label them. I occasionally take my fully worked, balanced and blueprinted DTA SRS with optional forearm leather tassels, whale bone mono pod and shoot on the St Mary's indoor range out to a massive 50m with the scope wound up to 32x. Why....because its fun and I don't give a rats a$$ what anyone thinks. Judge not, lest you be judged.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Brute » 25 Sep 2014, 1:30 pm

Hey, I'm not getting in anyone's way of fun. I didn't say anything to the guys to rain on their parade.

Just complaining to pass the time here, ha ha.

To each their own.
The Hammer of Dawn
Brute
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 25 Sep 2014, 4:14 pm

Brute wrote:Hey, I'm not getting in anyone's way of fun. I didn't say anything to the guys to rain on their parade.

Just complaining to pass the time here, ha ha.

To each their own.

It's all good mate, I get some strange judgemental type looks at the range when I take the SRS out of the bag. St Mary's is close, it's all weather and open late during the week which makes it perfect for testing loads. I load over the weekend and try get there Tuesday nigts to run them over the chronograph when it's not so busy.

I'm into al kinds of firearms and often take my air rifle, 22 or 17hmr just for something different. I've come across a few of the types u mention, I just ignore them and keep firing.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by handofcod » 25 Sep 2014, 4:45 pm

Last time I was at the range two drop kicks who could barely string intelligible sentences together spent the entire morning finding new and creative ways to irritate me.

1. Put on a bloody high vis if you are walking out to 200m. How many times do they tell you, honestly?

2. Handling ammo during ceasefire may not be the same as handling firearms but it still pisses me off, especially if you are smoking while doing so

3. Having your hoodie up over your head while wearing sunglasses and mumbling unintelligibly around the smoke hanging from your mouth gives bogans everywhere an unfair wrap

4. Your target looked like a shotgun spray at 100, you really think it's worth shooting at 200 so we can all watch you wander slowly up and back once everyone else is finished and waiting politely?
CZ452 22lr | Remington 5R Milspec in .223 | Tikka Hunter in 300wsm | Ruger Scout in .308
handofcod
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 25 Sep 2014, 4:56 pm

brett1868 wrote:...shoot on the St Mary's indoor range out to a massive 50m with the scope wound up to 32x. Why....because its fun and I don't give a rats a$$ what anyone thinks.

I get comments for having a 32x on my BR .22lr at the 50m range.

All I know is I'm shooting better than everyone who's bitching about my scope and talking up their 12x so they can keep 'em as far as I'm concerned :lol:
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by veep » 25 Sep 2014, 4:58 pm

handofcod wrote:1. Put on a bloody high vis if you are walking out to 200m. How many times do they tell you, honestly?

I'm surprised the RO's let that fly?

How many chances do they get for that?
veep
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by MeccaOz » 25 Sep 2014, 6:04 pm

I know some people can get a bit "Wanky" about things, but I'm all for new shooters and them enjoying themselves. In the end they will help us real shooters with there numbers :)
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Baronvonrort » 25 Sep 2014, 6:32 pm

I don't really care what type of gun people shoot or what range they shoot from, if they are having fun and keeping within the rules i am happy for them.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Westy » 25 Sep 2014, 8:50 pm

Chronos wrote:Mentor, they need a nature responsible mentor.....hope they find one :lol:

Brute, it's not just young bloke and not just at short ranges. I sat at a bench once at 300m shooting my 7-08 with an untested load. The load didn't impress me but was holding 4" at 300m in gusty side winds.

Two blokes nearby shooting semi custom tacticool .308's with $2k scopes and couldn't keep them on paper.

Some purple appreciate help and guidance. Others can figure it out for them selves, eventually

Chronos

Where you been M8????????????

How was Jail????????? :lol: :D :lol:

nice to see your back
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Chronos » 25 Sep 2014, 9:44 pm

3 square meals a day, comfy bed and all the sex you could ask for......

thanks mate, :D

steve
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by MeccaOz » 25 Sep 2014, 9:48 pm

Hey Chronos, been wondering where you been old mate, welcome back :D
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Noisydad » 26 Sep 2014, 7:34 am

Funny you don't see any of this stuff at a black powder club - just a bunch of big kids pretending to be Daniel Boone and grinning from ear to ear all day! :-D
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by SendIt » 26 Sep 2014, 10:12 am

Maybe you can start the trend Noisy.

Stick a few rails on one of your BP rifles and turn up with a forward pistol grip, torch, laser, offset irons...

Will go down great I'm sure.
Sako 85 Hunter Laminated Stainless 30-06 Sprg
Zeiss Conquest HD5 2-10x42

Winchester 1892 44-40
SendIt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by ChicagoTed » 02 Oct 2014, 10:22 pm

only complaint i have of my 2 local gun ranges

on those lazy(or hot) days where i dont feel like standing

ill sit at the bench and some old hunter will sit next to me shooting hunting loads with a muzzle break on
mossberg 500
mosin 91/30
ar15 frankengun
glock 22 gen 4
ChicagoTed
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Post by MeccaOz » 03 Oct 2014, 1:40 am

ChicagoTed wrote:ill sit at the bench and some old hunter will sit next to me shooting hunting loads with a muzzle break on

LOL, I think that guy is at everyone range mate :lol:
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Seconds » 03 Oct 2014, 1:07 pm

Stick a note in the suggestion box saying put all the guys with brakes down one end?

That's what some here do.
Sako 85 Hunter
.308 Winchester
Seconds
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Next

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges