Back on track, I think.........

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

Back on track, I think.........

Post by jennageit » 25 Oct 2014, 2:30 pm

Hi Guys,

Today my back played nice long enough for me to go shooting.

Back down at the range, two old 50m bench rest cards later and I'm very happy.

No more of this 184 and 188 out of 200 either.

I made three changes today.

1. Ammunition changed from SKR Match .22lr to Eley .22lr (not by choice, this is what I was given).

2. Shooting glasses. The yellow lens on my right eye allows me to see the centre ring of the target much easier, and the polarised lens on the left eye stops the glare, which stops my left eye from constantly trying to re-focus, and

3. I now use the thumbhole in the stock, rather than the rest. It's allowing me to use the pad of my finger on the trigger (which I'm finding is stopping a lot of the movement of the rifle when I used to squeeze the trigger), and not only feels better, but much smoother too.

I know i've still got some points to find, but today I shot:

195.6/200 and 197.8/200 :D The points I dropped on the second card I am more than happy to take full responsibility for. I know I moved the rifle, and I'm learning to correct it. On the first card, I squeezed the trigger, so that score is my fault, but at that stage I wasn't able to tell when I'd made a bad shot without first looking where it landed.

Also, the rifle seems to have had some work done to it. The scope was seriously out of whack when we started, but I got it zero'd in (with help of course), the barrel and stock are without any grime, and the bolt is nice and smooth. The breach (I think that's what it's called - where the bullet goes in) felt a bit sticky by the end of the shoot today (about 50 rounds put through it today), but I wasn't allowed to do anything about it. apparently "It'll be sorted".

So guys, it looks like things are getting back on track!
Back from a break, and ready to shoot again :)
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Back on track, I think.........

Post by cavok » 25 Oct 2014, 2:45 pm

So pleasing to hear, keep up the good work and its good to hear all is better.
“When all about you have lost their heads and you remain calm, perhaps you do not understand the problem”.
Per ardua ad astra.
cavok
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by mausermate » 25 Oct 2014, 2:47 pm

well done.
Amazing how some of us keep blundering along doing the same thing week after week, having a bad shoot, chucking a dummy spit and then go back and do the same the following week.
Often, changing things and trying options can work and I am glad it did for you.
Great lesson here. Thanks Jenna.
Last edited by mausermate on 25 Oct 2014, 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Now that's been said, who's coming for a shot?
mausermate
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by jennageit » 25 Oct 2014, 3:15 pm

I'm actually wondering if maybe I've been tryiing to sort out too many things at once, and stuffing the whole lot up because of it.

When I work on one thing at a time, I seem to get better results. When that one change becomes natural, I should move on. Today was different, and I think that when I get more 'rifle' time, I'll do a lot better.

The main thing is, I had an absolute ball. I've missed shooting, and to top it all off, I got some nice scores!

Jenna
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by tom604 » 25 Oct 2014, 4:54 pm

hey jenna, (or anyone else really) could you post a photo of a card?,shot or not as i have never seen one, is it like a sighting in target? 5 +1 sighter. not a member of a range and only go when i need to test some rounds or to sight in,,, or when i pull a sickie and feel the need ;) ,,,sorry for the thread hijack, good shooting by the way 197 out of 200 sounds like an A+ to me :)
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by jennageit » 25 Oct 2014, 10:11 pm

Hey Tom,

Here's a card I shot a few weeks ago for you to see.
Attachments
5c grouping.JPG
5c grouping.JPG (7.64 KiB) Viewed 6374 times
50m target 2nd attempt at shooting.jpg
50m target 2nd attempt at shooting.jpg (121.23 KiB) Viewed 6374 times
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by tom604 » 25 Oct 2014, 10:21 pm

your shooting well, watch out foxes 8-)
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by wrenchman » 25 Oct 2014, 10:52 pm

i like to read your post keep them comeing.
a new hunter or shooter in our sport is great we need every one we need to get you in camo shooting them foxs it will be great to see you with the first one.
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Gregg » 26 Oct 2014, 7:33 am

Good to hear Jenna.
Howa 1500 .270 WInchester
Savage Model 10/110 Predator .204 Ruger
Gregg
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by jennageit » 26 Oct 2014, 9:41 am

wrenchman wrote:i like to read your post keep them comeing.
a new hunter or shooter in our sport is great we need every one we need to get you in camo shooting them foxs it will be great to see you with the first one.

Mate, when I shoot my first fox, I'm putting a picture up on a Billboard out front!!! :lol:

I'm very happy to be going back down to the range again (Didn't realise I could miss shooting that much), but I'm now wishing that it was less of a 'point and shoot', and more educational. Even the Saturday coaching sessions are becoming point and shoot. :roll: I'd have hoped by now that I'd get the chance to learn how to strip a rifle down and clean it. Guess I'll learn that stuff as I need it (or go to the GS for help).

Anyway, I think I'm back on track again, and all I have to do now is find those last couple of points. When I shoot a 200, I get to move to the new cards. My aim right now is to figure out how I'm losing thost 2 - 3 points!

Take care everyone, and stay safe!

Jenna
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Ariat » 26 Oct 2014, 3:48 pm

jennageit wrote:Mate, when I shoot my first fox, I'm putting a picture up on a Billboard out front!!! :lol:

Make some plans to turn the pelt into something you can keep long term ;)
Ariat
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by jennageit » 26 Oct 2014, 6:53 pm

I've got a friend who wants to do more work with pelts. apparently if i shoot it, she'll come pick it up and bring it back as a wall hanging or floor rug for me.

Free for both of us lol, so the best kind of transaction.
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Harts » 27 Oct 2014, 12:44 pm

Harts
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 27 Oct 2014, 12:49 pm

I want to make a quilt cover or bedspread out of some too, they look alright from the ones I've seen and should be warm in Winter too I'd imagine.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 27 Oct 2014, 12:51 pm

Your shooting very well Jenna, keep it up sweetheart, you should be very proud of the way your shooting.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by joojoobeans » 28 Oct 2014, 8:23 am

bigfellascott wrote:I want to make a quilt cover or bedspread out of some too, they look alright from the ones I've seen and should be warm in Winter too I'd imagine.

Does it work for a cover with the skin side of things?

You know how it has like a hard leathery side, or can you make it without that? I always though skins were kind of a 'floor rug' kind of deal because of the backside?
joojoobeans
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 28 Oct 2014, 8:58 am

Haven't heard of fur coats before mate? :lol: Of course it works, fox skin is very thin, made the daughter a hat out on one the other week, very soft .

http://www.peterpalms.com/bedspread/graphics/KSRedFoxwithGreyFoxBorder3890.JPG

http://image.ec21.com/image/clearfur/OF0001177741_1/Sell_Red_Fox_Comforter.jpg
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by jennageit » 28 Oct 2014, 9:06 am

bigfellascott wrote:Your shooting very well Jenna, keep it up sweetheart, you should be very proud of the way your shooting.

Hi mate,

I'm very pleased with the way I'm shooting, given I still don't totally understand it all.

I've still got a couple of points to find, but once I sort out my technique and get comfy, I think those points will come in good time :)

I'm loving the sport, and just about everyone is really nice, which is great.

One thing I do love is that there isn't much of the "My gun's bigger than your gun" thing (it's kinda obvious usually lmao). Saw that a lot in the dog show world and it destroyed it for everyone.

Ahh, now I'm off to look at rifles................ god I love my life sometimes!
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Warrigul » 28 Oct 2014, 10:43 am

I used to have to look after the dog show people at a local show(arrange the site, prizemoney etc etc etc) as part of the Local Show Society.

Christ they are hard to work with, and I had other stallholders that didn't even speak Australian.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by bigfellascott » 28 Oct 2014, 12:57 pm

jennageit wrote:Hi mate,

I'm very pleased with the way I'm shooting, given I still don't totally understand it all.

I've still got a couple of points to find, but once I sort out my technique and get comfy, I think those points will come in good time :)

I'm loving the sport, and just about everyone is really nice, which is great.

One thing I do love is that there isn't much of the "My gun's bigger than your gun" thing (it's kinda obvious usually lmao). Saw that a lot in the dog show world and it destroyed it for everyone.

Ahh, now I'm off to look at rifles................ god I love my life sometimes!

Happy rifle hunting Jenna, take your time and don't rush in, if you find one you like get as much details and info about it, so some research and if it performs as it should and the general consensus is its a good firearm I guess buy it - as I said before if it doesn't live up to expectations you can always sell it.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Humir » 29 Oct 2014, 1:36 pm

Warrigul wrote:Christ they are hard to work with, and I had other stallholders that didn't even speak Australian.

All a bit precious?
Humir
Private
Private

Tasmania

Post by joojoobeans » 29 Oct 2014, 1:38 pm

bigfellascott wrote:Haven't heard of fur coats before mate? :lol: Of course it works, fox skin is very thin, made the daughter a hat out on one the other week, very soft .

Well, if I knew what I was talking about I wouldn't be asking would I :?: :mrgreen:
joojoobeans
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 29 Oct 2014, 1:57 pm

Oh dear I thought you had some idea of how pelts work, ya need the skin as the hair is attached to it! :lol: as I said fox is very thin skinned so is very supple so lends itself to coats, bedspreads, hats etc.

Put it this way - without skin you'd have a pile of hair! :lol:

Anyway I hope that helps you understand it a bit more. ;)
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by joojoobeans » 30 Oct 2014, 9:51 am

Yeah I get it, maybe I've just seem some cheap examples or something in the past.

I don't have any fur stuff myself but I remember the skin side of pelts I've seen being like papery leather, not the kind of thing I'd imagine is comfortable to wear.

I've jumped to a wrong conclusion, should have kept my mouth shut :lol:
joojoobeans
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 30 Oct 2014, 10:18 am

joojoobeans wrote:Yeah I get it, maybe I've just seem some cheap examples or something in the past.

I don't have any fur stuff myself but I remember the skin side of pelts I've seen being like papery leather, not the kind of thing I'd imagine is comfortable to wear.

I've jumped to a wrong conclusion, should have kept my mouth shut :lol:

Sounds like someone hasn't lubed them up and broken them, you only have to think of leather pants to see how soft leather can be. :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by joojoobeans » 30 Oct 2014, 1:15 pm

Yeah I've got it. Wasn't thinking enough before :)

It's a common problem :lol:
joojoobeans
Private
Private

South Australia

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges