Sydney - IPSC - Pistol

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

Sydney - IPSC - Pistol

Post by grizzly » 29 Oct 2014, 9:36 am

Hi everyone,

I'm emigrating to Australia next year from the UK and would like to continue shooting and get involved in local clubs in and around Sydney and competitions regionally and nationally. Due to legal restrictions in Australia there are a couple of guns I will have to say goodbye to such as my Benelli M2 and AR15 but I'm very much looking forward to saying hello to a Cat H licence and shooting IPSC Pistol, something we are restricted in shooting here in the UK. I'd like to shoot production division so Glock 34 or Sig P226 are top of my list. I'd also like to get into "metallic silhouette" shooting further down the line as a 1911 .45 ACP is hard to keep off my list.

I've had a look online and a couple of clubs seem to stand out - St Ives Pistol Club and Ku Ring Gai Pistol Club although not sure if Ku Ring Gai run IPSC comps?

Can anyone recommend any friendly clubs in and around Sydney that run regular IPSC matches?

Any advice\recommendations in ranges or shooting IPSC in Australia regionally and nationally much appreciated

Many thanks,

Grizzly
grizzly
Recruit
Recruit

United Kingdom

Re: Sydney - IPSC - Pistol

Post by cavok » 29 Oct 2014, 1:03 pm

grizzly wrote:Hi everyone,
I'm emigrating to Australia next year from the UK and would like to continue shooting and get involved in local clubs in and around Sydney and competitions regionally and nationally. Due to legal restrictions in Australia there are a couple of guns I will have to say goodbye to such as my Benelli M2 and AR15 but I'm very much looking forward to saying hello to a Cat H licence and shooting IPSC Pistol, something we are restricted in shooting here in the UK. I'd like to shoot production division so Glock 34 or Sig P226 are top of my list. I'd also like to get into "metallic silhouette" shooting further down the line as a 1911 .45 ACP is hard to keep off my list.
I've had a look online and a couple of clubs seem to stand out - St Ives Pistol Club and Ku Ring Gai Pistol Club although not sure if Ku Ring Gai run IPSC comps?
Can anyone recommend any friendly clubs in and around Sydney that run regular IPSC matches?
Any advice\recommendations in ranges or shooting IPSC in Australia regionally and nationally much appreciated

Many thanks,

Grizzly

Hi Not sure what part of the UK you live in, but there are not many AR15 IN England/UK. If a permanent resident of Australia you are able once you are licenced to purchase handguns, takes about a year on a permanent resident. Production does not allow Glock 34 only the 17. 34 puts you in Standard. The best club for IPSC in NSW is Blacktown, very regular matches in IPSC and many others, great club. IPSC is shot broadly in Australia, all states have numerous clubs, very popular here.
“When all about you have lost their heads and you remain calm, perhaps you do not understand the problem”.
Per ardua ad astra.
cavok
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by grizzly » 29 Oct 2014, 8:07 pm

Thanks for the replay cavok, much appreciated.

I did come across Blacktown Pistol Club on my initial search but, other than their website I couldn’t find much else online. I think they prohibit photography so that might be why. If they are the top ones to go to for IPSC in NSW then I’ll check them out when I arrive and start the ball rolling on my probationary period. Thanks for the tip.

Although shooting is a minority sport here in the UK there are quite a large number of that minority that shoot AR15’s. There are quite a few at both my clubs that shoot for fun and there are regular Civillian Service Rifle competitions where people shoot Lee Enfields, AR15’s, AI’s etc. Although the average Joe on the street probably wouldn’t be aware of them.

Semi centrefires are restricted here so we either use straight pull AR15’s for long range or AR22’s for mini rifle The straight pulls are shot in .223 and .300blk usually. They are exactly the same as a standard AR15 from the states but are missing a ported barrel, gas block and gas tube. Even the bolt carrier has a gas key staked.

I assembled my own .223/5.56 AR15 straight pull from scratch in the UK importing milspec parts from the US (pics below) so I’ll be sorry to see it go as it’s the first rifle I have assembled myself. I’m a regular shooter not a dealer.

http://www.full-bore.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=18885

But I’m very much looking forward to shooting pistol which we don’t get the chance to do in the UK, other than Blackpowder
grizzly
Recruit
Recruit

United Kingdom

Post by cavok » 29 Oct 2014, 8:51 pm

Australia has many pistol clubs, IPSC metallic etc. If you shoot .45 here is just beginning to make a comeback, IPSC is till dominated with 9mm production pistol which includes Sig 226, but few or none are chosen. Dominated by CZ and Tanfoglio in production, then up the scale. We look forward t seeing you when you arrive, and you will be made very welcome. IPSC UK, prior to your ban was dominant, welcome back.
“When all about you have lost their heads and you remain calm, perhaps you do not understand the problem”.
Per ardua ad astra.
cavok
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Seconds » 30 Oct 2014, 2:06 pm

I don't shoot pistols myself but like Cavok says there are ranges dotted around everywhere. About a year for your license.

Bugger about losing your AR and Benelli.

Rifle license and permits don't take forever at least. 28 day waiting period for each once you start the wheels moving here.
Sako 85 Hunter
.308 Winchester
Seconds
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by cavok » 30 Oct 2014, 3:19 pm

:geek: Just wondering about this post, where are all the pistol shooters from NSW? Thought they would number in the, well a few at leats, and IPSC, the guy wants to know? How can we help him more. Blacktown members? St Ives? IPSC? :ugeek:
Per ardua ad astra.
cavok
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Zilla » 31 Oct 2014, 3:08 pm

Not that it means much but none in my circle of shooting friends. Or that I see around and range trips?

Lull in popularity in NSW atm?
Ruger M77 mark II Target Rifle 6.5mm Creedmoor - Redfield Revolution 4-12x40mm
Ruger 77/44 Rem Mag - Redfield Revolution 2-7x33mm
Marlin Model 1897 .22
Zilla
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by cavok » 31 Oct 2014, 3:51 pm

IPSC at the moment in NSW is extremely popular as it is in all states. Blacktown PC hosted the Australian Championship 2012 from memory, they hold large monthly shoots of many hundreds of members monthly, as does, Newtec, Coffs Harbour, Grafton, St Ives, Bowral, New Castle.
See their website, IPSCNSW.org not 100% sure of that, Google it. IPSC is the most challenging if you want to shoot pistol, rifle or shotgun competitively. The Nationals held in a different state or territory every years attracts a minimum of 350 shooters, highly competitive or shooters looking to shoot for fun. There are 4 divisions, open, standard, production and Classic, sorry and revollvverr. DVC.
Per ardua ad astra.
cavok
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by grizzly » 31 Oct 2014, 10:12 pm

Thanks for the info everyone. Have found some footage on Youtube of 2012 IPSC comp at Blacktown. St Ives will be about a 20 min drive and Blacktown about 1hr drive away from home. If Blacktown is way better than St Ives for IPSC then i'll go the extra mile and join Blacktown.
grizzly
Recruit
Recruit

United Kingdom

Post by Zilla » 01 Nov 2014, 7:46 pm

cavok wrote:IPSC at the moment in NSW is extremely popular as it is in all states.

As I said, just one mans observations.

Wrong in this case it seems.
Ruger M77 mark II Target Rifle 6.5mm Creedmoor - Redfield Revolution 4-12x40mm
Ruger 77/44 Rem Mag - Redfield Revolution 2-7x33mm
Marlin Model 1897 .22
Zilla
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by cavok » 01 Nov 2014, 8:03 pm

Zilla wrote:
cavok wrote:IPSC at the moment in NSW is extremely popular as it is in all states.

As I said, just one mans observations.

Wrong in this case it seems.

All of us are shooters, I wish not to argue with a fellow shooter. IPSC is popular, as is you style of shooting whatever it may be. I am not wrong, if you are Vapa/ISSF or whatever affiliated lets not fight, or allow those that would divide to have us argue. Be well, shoot well.
Per ardua ad astra.
cavok
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges