Accuracy

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

Accuracy

Post by cavok » 02 Nov 2014, 4:30 pm

Accuracy, I have just looked at the section on this forum where targets can be downloaded. I admire people who have the patience and dedication and obviously the rifle to place a shot at xxxx metres onto a match head. Then repeat the process again and again.

I have years ago shot what was then called UIT and watched shooters attempting to place one bullet hole on top of another using .22 pistols, I never had this patience. Best I could do on the open day after in think 5 days training was to bring my own toy pistol, as we all could and shoot.

At 25 metres I believe my six shots were about the size of 50 cent coin, in about 10 seconds. We were allowed I think 5 minutes or so for the shoot, I was abused for not taking my full 5 minutes or whatever and getting a better group, it was training by a prestigious club, I failed, never to be asked back.

Hence for those that can with rifle or pistol shoot groups of the size of a 1cent coin or smaller, you have my admiration, brilliant. Best I can do is shoot fast, as I was trained to do, if you could not draw and shoot at a target (twice) in less than 2 seconds, hitting the base heart size, you failed. I thing the distance was 10 metres, then with a rifle again something similar.

So, to all the bench rest shooters and those people who crave accuracy, we stand and applaud.
“When all about you have lost their heads and you remain calm, perhaps you do not understand the problem”.
Per ardua ad astra.
cavok
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Accuracy

Post by Combat_Wombat » 02 Nov 2014, 4:39 pm

Yeah I'm with you on this one mate the only time I'll spend really trying to get perfect accuracy is sighting in and occasionally try long shots when I take mates out plinking. I mean each to their own but I would rather practice snap shooting and hitting moving targets rather then get cloverleaf groups.
Remington 700 CDL .270
Rossi M92 44mag
CZ 452 deluxe .22LR
Howa 1500 .204
Savage FVSR 22
Combat_Wombat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by North East » 02 Nov 2014, 5:58 pm

Who cares…a.30 cal will kill anything within 6" of the heart/lung zone.
Browning BL-22 lever action...open sights
T3 Varmint .204 Ruger...Meopta Meostar 4-16X44
T3 Lite .30-06 Sprg...Aimpoint Hunter 1X red dot

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Chronos » 02 Nov 2014, 7:01 pm

every gun has to be accurate enough to do it's job, if it's job is killing large deer than as our mate NE says 6" at 100y is good enough on what he hunts, probably large deer in the kind of think forest he hunts in, after all it sounds like he lives in sambar country

but what if the job is hitting bunnies and foxes at longer ranges like another fella here? for him 2" at 200y might be enough from his .204R

now what if your rifles job is winning 200y benchrest comps? suddenly your 6BR BR rifle that shoots .5" groups at 200y isn't even close to doing it's job. you see people that consistently shoot 200y groups in the teens (.010-.020") and guess what? you're at the bottom of the heap :lol:

look at Brett here on the forum and his heavy hitters, you cannot help but be impressed by the engineering and investment, both in cash and time that it's taken him to put together his collection. their job? clearly to terrify first time shooters with the kind of numbers he quotes like 250gr and 3000fps ;)

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Westy » 02 Nov 2014, 7:12 pm

X 2 Chronos :) :D :lol:
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by cavok » 02 Nov 2014, 7:50 pm

I guess accuracy is important, to a point. So how far do we want to take accuracy? Is precision shooting that important, that critical that all other aspects are abandoned. many years ago when the Glock was first on the scene, I proposed that all shoot Glocks, as they came from the factory, nothing to be touched, shoo what arrived. Well all well and good for the first month or two, then we noticed, some, changed nothing but smoothed out minor burrs, tightened triggers, but still changed nothing, how could one object. Hence as someone wrote above, accurate enough to do its job. Hence, does this come from the shooter or his or her modifications?
“When all about you have lost their heads and you remain calm, perhaps you do not understand the problem”.
Per ardua ad astra.
cavok
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 02 Nov 2014, 9:08 pm

"look at Brett here on the forum and his heavy hitters, you cannot help but be impressed by the engineering and investment, both in cash and time that it's taken him to put together his collection. their job? clearly to terrify first time shooters with the kind of numbers he quotes like 250gr and 3000fps ;)"

More like 350gr between 3066 & 3171 :)

I love it when far away things get deader quicker :)

I'm not a bench rest shooter as such though I do use a bench and a milk crate for a lot of my shooting. The guys pulling tiny groups at any range really impress me, not so much for their shooting skill but more so their ability to load such consistent rounds. I'm aspiring to achieve an E.S of 20fps or less and it's proving to be a real struggle though I am getting there slowly. Also when paying up to $4 for 1 projectile you need to make sure every shots a winner.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by cavok » 02 Nov 2014, 9:14 pm

Totally agree, as in the field every shoot always counted, we both know that is what is was all about, there is no dollar cost, one deer, one pig, one buffalo, you miss you pay a heavy price, as with the other target.
Per ardua ad astra.
cavok
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Carter » 03 Nov 2014, 8:19 am

brett1868 wrote:More like 350gr between 3066 & 3171 :)

It's the 3171 that seals it.

If you'd said 3170 I wouldn't have been impressed :lol:

:P
Carter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Brute » 03 Nov 2014, 8:22 am

cavok wrote:Accuracy, I have just looked at the section on this forum where targets can be downloaded. I admire people who have the patience and dedication and obviously the rifle to place a shot at xxxx metres onto a match head. Then repeat the process again and again.

I've had a few goes on the progressive dots target that Aster did to be downloaded.

That last dot... I've put a few pages through and so fair they're still unscathed :evil:

All good fun still :D
The Hammer of Dawn
Brute
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 03 Nov 2014, 11:38 am

The only time I shoot paper is when load testing or sighting in, being a varmint hunter its not overly important to have each shot in one whole type thing, so long as they are shooting an 1" or less I can use them to good affect.

I was out yesterday with a load that was untested in any way shape or form (I'd run out of reloads with the 39bk so had some of these 26gn Barnes VG's loaded up so thought what the hell I'll take them as a back up if I run out of the BK's anyway I ran out of the BK's halfway through the bunny bustin exercise so though oh well I'll lob one of these at a bunny and see how I go, well they shot fine, don't really know how much diff the POI was compared to the SBK's but they were smacking tiny little bunnies in the head (golf ball size head) at up to 160m without drama so I guess they can't be shooting too bad. :lol:

I will however put some down on paper and see what's really happening but to be honest I didn't expect them to shoot so well considering how untested they were but there ya go, every now and again ya get lucky. :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Chronos » 03 Nov 2014, 12:29 pm

bigfellascott wrote:The only time I shoot paper is when load testing or sighting in, being a varmint hunter its not overly important to have each shot in one whole type thing, so long as they are shooting an 1" or less I can use them to good affect.

I was out yesterday with a load that was untested in any way shape or form (I'd run out of reloads with the 39bk so had some of these 26gn Barnes VG's loaded up so thought what the hell I'll take them as a back up if I run out of the BK's anyway I ran out of the BK's halfway through the bunny bustin exercise so though oh well I'll lob one of these at a bunny and see how I go, well they shot fine, don't really know how much diff the POI was compared to the SBK's but they were smacking tiny little bunnies in the head (golf ball size head) at up to 160m without drama so I guess they can't be shooting too bad. :lol:

I will however put some down on paper and see what's really happening but to be honest I didn't expect them to shoot so well considering how untested they were but there ya go, every now and again ya get lucky. :D

Nothing wrong with the Barnes accuracy wise, I loaded them up in .5gr steps of 8208 and all loads shot under moa out of a CZ. my wife shot a 5 shot group under 1 1/2" on a typically windy day at Mudgee. Fair to say they'd be zipping along too.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by scrolllock » 03 Nov 2014, 12:39 pm

Brute wrote:That last dot... I've put a few pages through and so fair they're still unscathed :evil:

That %*^(# battleships targets!

Always one at the end which takes 1/4 of a box to sink :lol:
scrolllock
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 03 Nov 2014, 2:46 pm

Chronos wrote:Nothing wrong with the Barnes accuracy wise, I loaded them up in .5gr steps of 8208 and all loads shot under moa out of a CZ. my wife shot a 5 shot group under 1 1/2" on a typically windy day at Mudgee. Fair to say they'd be zipping along too.

Yeah mate they seem to go alright in the Howski, very surprised considering I never had any idea of where they were shooting. It certainly shot straight enough going by the results in the paddock! :lol: I've also got some 35gn Bergers to test out too, I'd imagine they should shoot ok too.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Blackened » 03 Nov 2014, 7:44 pm

scrolllock wrote:That %*^(# battleships targets!

I'm sure that's the kind of feedback Aster likes to hear :lol:
Blackened

New South Wales

Post by Westy » 04 Nov 2014, 7:54 am

Yep I can see how this could boring !!!Shooting a .22 with 5 shot groups like this @ 50m would make me wanta pack up and go home to!!!

NOT
Attachments
Tenex_1043_tuner_Purdy+30_001.jpg
Tenex_1043_tuner_Purdy+30_001.jpg (61.45 KiB) Viewed 4954 times
Team_1043_tuner_Purdy+30_002.jpg
Team_1043_tuner_Purdy+30_002.jpg (113.13 KiB) Viewed 4954 times
!cid_D545B9B7B3BD432FB8E98ACDCD603EC1@OwnerPC.jpg
!cid_D545B9B7B3BD432FB8E98ACDCD603EC1@OwnerPC.jpg (167.49 KiB) Viewed 4954 times
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by chicachicka » 04 Nov 2014, 9:18 am

That first ones just about perfect.

Measurement?
Savage Model 14/114 American Classic Stainless
.308 Win
Nikko Stirling Gameking 4-16x44
chicachicka
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 04 Nov 2014, 4:55 pm

Put simply. It's horses for courses.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by samf » 06 Nov 2014, 9:58 am

What's "tuner" mean in no tuner in the photos there?
samf
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Timb0 » 06 Nov 2014, 2:00 pm

Westy wrote:Yep I can see how this could boring !!!Shooting a .22 with 5 shot groups like this @ 50m would make me wanta pack up and go home to!!!

NOT

What's that being shot out of Westy ?
Marlin XT22 .22lr, Ruger M77/22 .22wmr, Rem 7615 .223, Ruger M77 .223, Weatherby MarkV .243, Rem 700 VLS .243, Kimber Montana .270, Weatherby MarkV .270Wby mag, Rem 700 .308, Khan ATac 12ga.
Timb0
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Westy » 06 Nov 2014, 2:11 pm

samf wrote:What's "tuner" mean in no tuner in the photos there?

We mount a rifle tuner on the end of the rifles looks like this, it helps to get the right pitch on the barrel and well here this is better than me rabbiting onhere :lol: :D :lol:

http://benchrest.com/showthread.php?706 ... EWBIE-quot

It was shot from a turbo action with a shilen barrel in a custom stock it's about a $5000-00 rifle, not a off the shelf rifle althought a 1712 annie with a tuner on a good day will shoot close to this using eley black ammo. :P :) ;)

And lets not start on the Purdy theory as I'll have to ask the brother to explain that one!!!!! :P :shock: :o
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by samf » 06 Nov 2014, 6:12 pm

Interesting, thanks Westy.
samf
Private
Private

Victoria

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges