Accuracy 11

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

Accuracy 11

Post by cavok » 05 Nov 2014, 4:21 pm

Continuation:
Accuracy 11, where does it come from and how is it best achieved? Accuracy to what level, this varies depending on shooting style, shooting discipline. Is this a question to ponder, to reflect upon, or is it a given, “ shooters say I have the best firearm, watch me”.
Exactly what is accuracy, precision, replication no variables, or is it more.
HENCE, what makes accuracy; there are several contenders, the firearm, barrel, the projectile, the powder, or is it solely the shooters capabilities, or possibly luck, or a combination of all of the above and subject to a variety of variables. The elements obviously play a role.
I have seen posts where a person states, I have purchased xxx firearm, it is “the best” the barrel is from the readings .356 or whatever, hence it is recommended, or other that I use this projectile, this powder and all is well? Sorry, let me tell you that is not the case now, never was, and never will be. So, what authority to listen to, what information is there, or do each and every one of us need to re-invent the wheel on a regular basis.

The only rule I apply is, LOAD your own ammunition, no exceptions ever, never use factory ammunition, unless using .22 rimfire. To me shooting a .22 pistol or .32 with there elaborate grips etc, this is to me not shooting. To me pistols belong in holsters, are drawn and a shot or shoots made. To me rifles should be shot from the ground, or standing, in a realistic position like in hunting.

Can this question be broken down into its components:
1. Firearm manufacturer, overall quality, precisions fitting and material.
2. Barrel quality. Internal dimensions.
3. The projectile, its dimensions, composition.
4. The powder used and its properties.
5. The shooters capabilities, on the day, the match, or overall, elements.
6. Grip, sight radius, trigger pull, stance.
7. Other variables, are there any, which way to jump.
The above is for general shooting styles, not the absolute precision shooting in some styles, that’s a whole different ball game. For me speed must play a part, pistol or rifle, same as in running a marathon.

My thoughts on the topic goes along this line. A high quality pistol with a match grade or fitted barrel is a good start. Slug the barrel, determine what is the best projectile to use, based on information from slugging, not the sellers projections on barrel dimensions, some barrel are first in line and some at the end of a line. You might need .356 or more/less. Be aware if you use a copper wash projectile increase the powder load a fraction to maintain the same power factor.
The firearm manufacturer is just that, they are in the business of selling firearms, they do not have your interests at heart. A new firearm purchased is just that, the trigger needs work (do this), the springs are general in nature. Also the manufacturer has no idea as to the intended use of their firearm, the discipline you intent to shoot, hence possibly have a trigger job to lighten this completed.
Hence after slugging the barrel you as the firearm owner will know exactly what the projectile you use needs to be, .356, 356.5, 357 or on. Copper wash or not, projectile quality and size, consistency, weight.
I am uncertain as to powder, all these manufacturers make claims, they have supporters who swear by a certain product, “why” are they sponsored, or not, who knows.
As the process moves forward, the shooters capabilities may be evident, to the new shooter on the block a “top shooter” appears to win and none of us are aware what elements or components his shooting that brings him or her to this level.
In conclusion and what I have learnt over many years, which does not make it correct or definitive, but I am happy with my conclusion.
A top shooter is that, he or she can use a cap gun to beat any of us, (most of us) they make it look effortless and predictable, they are sponsored or not by whom ever, what they actually use is a different issue. Top shooters deserve our respect and admiration, they have spent hundreds of hours getting to where they are now, and if we are lucky, have some God given gift and spend thousands of hours practicing, we will also be at that level, (possibly not) but need to practice more just to rise up the ranks.

I know some extremely great rifle shooter, not good, great. When it comes time for them to compete in matches they all load their own ammunition. Why, the consistency to repeat a good shoot, each projectile weighted and the exact amount of powder required to make the same shot in the case. You want to shoot and hunt, load your own. For wasting ammunition, the criteria is not as exacting, buy up factory ammunition, at least the case can come in handy when you do want to reload.

So what do you think?
“When all about you have lost their heads and you remain calm, perhaps you do not understand the problem”.
Per ardua ad astra.
cavok
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Accuracy 11

Post by Chronos » 05 Nov 2014, 4:36 pm

cavok wrote:I know some extremely great rifle shooter, not good, great. When it comes time for them to compete in matches they all load their own ammunition. Why, the consistency to repeat a good shoot, each projectile weighted and the exact amount of powder required to make the same shot in the case. You want to shoot and hunt, load your own. For wasting ammunition, the criteria is not as exacting, buy up factory ammunition, at least the case can come in handy when you do want to reload.

So what do you think?

"You want to shoot and hunt, load your own. " why? a hunter may only fire a couple of rounds a month and factory ammunition is usually "accurate enough" for hunting. sure some hunters hand load but it's not a necessity.

not quite sure what you mean "For wasting ammunition" but if i wanted to go out and "waste" some ammunition i certainly wouldn't go out and "buy up factory ammunition" factory ammunition could be 2-5 times the price of handloads. something you should be aware of as a pistol shooter.

I am unsure how to take your posts Cavok, you write as if writing an article but you don't seem to understand the topics you write about, no offence just trying to get my head around it.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by cavok » 05 Nov 2014, 4:50 pm

"not quite sure what you mean "For wasting ammunition" but if i wanted to go out and "waste" some ammunition i certainly wouldn't go out and "buy up factory ammunition" factory ammunition could be 2-5 times the price of handloads. something you should be aware of as a pistol shooter.
I am unsure how to take your posts Cavok, you write as if writing an article but you don't seem to understand the topics you write about, no offence just trying to get my head around it. "

Thanks Chronos, always great to get feed back, however I actually do not understand what you are attempting to say: I have never been told by anyone in the articles I write that I do not understand the topic, thanks.
“When all about you have lost their heads and you remain calm, perhaps you do not understand the problem”.
Per ardua ad astra.
cavok
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 05 Nov 2014, 5:00 pm

Chasing cake Westy :lol:
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Westy » 05 Nov 2014, 5:03 pm

brett1868 wrote:
Westy wrote:He's saying your acting like a Dick!!!!!!!

Chasing cake Westy :lol:

Me and Pauline want you to "please explain"!!!!!! :lol: :D :lol:

http://youtu.be/IUoiy22Q_lw
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Chronos » 05 Nov 2014, 5:10 pm

Cavok why don't you make a post about your shooting experience and how you've progressed to this point. I find it difficult to get my head around where you're coming from.

Are you a high level competitor? If so in which disciplines? How long have you been shooting them?

You make some interesting statements in your posts and I'm interested if you are merely expressing yourself poorly if if you simply don't understand some of the subject matter

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Warrigul » 05 Nov 2014, 6:20 pm

Settle down Westy, I can see where you are coming from but DNFTT.
Last edited by Warrigul on 05 Nov 2014, 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Bennybigbores » 05 Nov 2014, 6:22 pm

+1 westy, someone had to say it!
Howa axiom varmint .243
C.Gustav 6.5x55 (sporterised)
Savage mkII T.hole varmint 17hmr
Chiappa lever action 12g
Baikal S.Shot .308
Mossberg plinkster .22
Norinco lever .22
E.T.C
Bennybigbores
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 05 Nov 2014, 6:52 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: I guess I've missed something? :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by brett1868 » 05 Nov 2014, 8:09 pm

Westy wrote:Me and Pauline want you to "please explain"!!!!!! :lol: :D :lol:

http://youtu.be/IUoiy22Q_lw

Was in reference to your signature..."pissing people off is a piece of cake".

Thanks for sharing Pauline with me....it's not often I wish I was blind :D
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Westy » 05 Nov 2014, 8:11 pm

brett1868 wrote:Was in reference to your signature..."pissing people off is a piece of cake".

Thanks for sharing Pauline with me....it's not often I wish I was blind :D

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: How about deaf as well :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by tom604 » 05 Nov 2014, 8:54 pm

well, well well, now i know what the other thread was about :lol: :lol:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges