Weighing down rifle for less jump = tighter groups?

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

Weighing down rifle for less jump = tighter groups?

Post by feedr » 08 Oct 2013, 6:10 pm

Just rolling an idea around in my head for the next time I go to the range.

I've got my first .308 and am working on my shooting technique and best practices for target shooting...

At the moment I'm shooting off a bipod, and when I was last at the range one of the offices walked past and mentioned I should stick a sheet of carpet or something soft on the hard bench to reduce bounce and I would get tighter groups.

That's fine I'm sure... Question is, if I took it a step further and put some weighted bags on the top like a 2kg sandbag or something, that would stop the jump and reduce my recoil a bit too?

Sensible idea or no?
Tikka T3 Lite Stainless in .308 Winchester.
feedr
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: Weighing down rifle for less jump = tighter groups?

Post by sarki » 08 Oct 2013, 7:02 pm

Laying it over the barrel won't do much for recoil for you I wouldn't think... The rifle will just slide back underneath.
Dear Santa,
Please bring me a Desert Tactical Arms SRS-A1 Rifle in .338 Lapua Magnum.
I'll be good with it, I promise!
sarki
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Hercl » 08 Oct 2013, 9:26 pm

Might do something for ya... Sounds like a pain though.

Would probably be better off adding a wussy pad instead if making it more comfortable to shoot is the idea.
What is this "too many rifles" you speak of?
Hercl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Blackened » 08 Oct 2013, 9:35 pm

Not something I'd do...

Strapping weight to your rifle is going to make switching from the bench to weightless free hand seem like totally different rifles.

If you must, get a better recoil pad like Hercl said so it shoots the same in both situations.
Blackened

New South Wales

Post by Lorgar » 08 Oct 2013, 9:52 pm

My vote goes to wussy pad too.

Get a limbsaver or whichever for it and you'll find it much more pleasant to shoot.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Herdsman » 08 Oct 2013, 10:00 pm

I'd give the weights a miss.

Spend your money on a decent rest and recoil pad IMO.
Shepherding bullets down range.

Tikka Hunter Stainless Fluted 300 Win Mag
Tikka Battue Lite .308 Win
Tikka Varmint Stainless .222 Rem
Herdsman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by feedr » 25 Jan 2014, 5:13 pm

Herdsman wrote:I'd give the weights a miss.

The limbsaver recoil pads are good I've since learned.

Gotta find the right one but worth it for taking the load of the shoulder in any case.
Tikka T3 Lite Stainless in .308 Winchester.
feedr
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Apollo » 25 Jan 2014, 5:25 pm

feedr wrote:
Herdsman wrote:I'd give the weights a miss.

The limbsaver recoil pads are good I've since learned.

Gotta find the right one but worth it for taking the load of the shoulder in any case.

The Stolle I pictured in my other thread now has a Limbsaver "Grind to Fit" on it and it makes a big difference. Even the mild 6.5x47 Lapua gets to me with no body fat after 40-50 rounds at the range in quick time. Easy to grind down with a belt sander and lots of time being careful. That rifle weighs just under 17lbs.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 25 Jan 2014, 7:48 pm

as others have said i would be careful doing any load development with an artificially weighted rifle as it will all change the way the rifle reacts when unweighted

the point of this discussion may be that you wish to improve your (and your rifles) accuracy. what you may be asking is how can you do it. changing the way the rifle reacts by adding weight may make an improvement to it's accuracy, rifles that jump upon firing are never going to be as accurate as one that comes back at you. some practice will help. try shooting say 5 shots with minimal grip on the rifle, then 5 shots with light downward pressure on the forend with your weak hand, then 5 shots with the same downward pressure and slight forward pressure, pre loading the bipod. you may find a difference in the groups that you can apply in the field

if your rifle has a synthetic stock you may even try adding some weight to the forend or the buttstock makes the rifle shoot better, but it will almost definitely be worse to carry :)

i recently added 700gr of lead shot to the butt of my synthetic varmint barreled rifle. it made the rifle better balanced but heavier , like it wasn't heavy enough

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by 6mmdasher » 27 Jan 2014, 8:23 am

You say you want to improve your target shooting,you don't mention what type of rifle or style of shooting. Bipods a great but there are better ways.One trick we have used is to fit a 3 inch foreend plate to sit in a front stand and make it out of steel not aluminium. This is enables you to target shoot off a bench and to remove it for field use. The other option is to fit another stock that is of the tracker style and instead of the rifle coming back and down and the muzzle to jump, it will just comes straight back. If you do add weight it has to keep the point of balance of the rifle under the reciever ring, add weight to the foreend as well as the butt. If it is synthetic stock you might cause problems with flex in the pistol grip area and weight and pressure applied with your trigger hand can really upset accuracy.
22lr, 22br,6mm br,30br, 6mm PPC,6mm dasher, 6mm superLR, 260 rem, 257 rob ack imp,7 x 57 ack imp,308 win,30/06 ack imp, 32/20, 44/40, 444 marlin,12.14 x 42mm
6mmdasher
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Releb » 27 Jan 2014, 12:42 pm

Shooting his T3 .308 in his signature I assume?
Tikka Stainless from 30-06 Springfield lane.
Releb
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by butiwanna » 28 Jan 2014, 8:25 am

They do a product for this already FYI.

Good for 'mule tamer' for rifles and you'll find it. It's basically attachable weighted bags for a rifle like you're describing.
.25-06 Remington Savage Model 111
Vortex Viper HS 4-16x44
butiwanna
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Apollo » 28 Jan 2014, 11:43 am

If anyone is suggesting or thinking of a "Lead Sled" then be very careful.

Might reduce felt recoil but a Lead Sled with too much weight and too restrictive on recoil has been known to crack/break a rifle stock. The recoil has to go somewhere and there are quite a few bad results of the stock wearing all the force and breaking.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Manimal » 28 Jan 2014, 12:20 pm

Seems like a problem for the bigger calibres if I remember right?

Guys shooting big game cartridges in the .400 - .500 family posting photos of broken stocks in the couple of Lead Sled horror stories I've read.
Manimal
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Warrigul » 28 Jan 2014, 4:50 pm

butiwanna wrote:They do a product for this already FYI.

Good for 'mule tamer' for rifles and you'll find it. It's basically attachable weighted bags for a rifle like you're describing.

I weight all my range rifles to the f
feedr wrote:Just rolling an idea around in my head for the next time I go to the range.

I've got my first .308 and am working on my shooting technique and best practices for target shooting...

At the moment I'm shooting off a bipod, and when I was last at the range one of the offices walked past and mentioned I should stick a sheet of carpet or something soft on the hard bench to reduce bounce and I would get tighter groups.

That's fine I'm sure... Question is, if I took it a step further and put some weighted bags on the top like a 2kg sandbag or something, that would stop the jump and reduce my recoil a bit too?

Sensible idea or no?

Just remember that whatever you do you will get some recoil and jump with a .308, it is not a girly 6mm or .223- much of their accuracy comes from lack of recoil(I shoot both so hold the flame). With a .308 you just need to make sure it recoils and rises vertically and through the line of the body but more importantly it needs to be consistant.

I actually enjoy shooting my .308 Omark mainly because it is technique that is mainly responsible for a good end result.

I don't think it possible to teach technique through a few posts on the internet.

Bipods aren't known to be the most accurate solution.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges