Tips to shoot straight

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

Re: Tips to shoot straight

Post by 1290 » 09 Dec 2014, 8:47 am

rsj223 wrote:
halberg wrote:
1290 wrote:oooohhhhh dang, now I'm confused!

I'll stick with inches :lol:

Yeah the MOA is a bit deep for me, might look into it when I get some spare time.

Don't despair, there's always some idiot who'll spend his time knocking up explanatory stuff :?

This is the dispersion area from the muzzle (error zone if you like) to the target representing one minute of angle measure from the point of aim, to the muzzle and back to the point of aim - note 1 moa is an angular measurement, not a circular or distance measurement, imagine looking through the scope at the base of the 'dispersion circle' then while peering through the scope moving the rifle so you follow the circle on the target

Random factoid; 1 MoA of the earth = exactly 1 Mile (nautical that is)
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by tiki » 09 Dec 2014, 12:48 pm

rsj223 wrote:Yeah the MOA is a bit deep for me, might look into it when I get some spare time.

Measuring in inches does the job anyway.

Just need to know how you did, and if you've improved and it tells you ;)

I leave MOA to the minds more natural at math and angles :lol:
CZ 452 .22 WMR
Savage Weather Warrior 16/116 FCSS .260 Rem
Winchester Model 1895 .30-40 Krag

Weaver K-Series 4x38
Zeiss Victory HT 2.5–10x50
tiki
Private
Private

Northern Territory

Post by rsj223 » 27 Dec 2014, 8:32 pm

Well managed to get the group a bit smaller down to 28mm on the camp table, it looked like I was going to get around 21mm but that last shot stepped out to the right (4shots).
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by anthillinside » 28 Dec 2014, 8:13 am

1290 wrote:Random factoid; 1 MoA of the earth = exactly 1 Mile (nautical that is)

Now that I can hit! :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'm just starting to chase the sub .5 MOA group .22 @ 50
Was not realy into paper punching but it's fun, frustrating and a few other f words.
1 round 1 hole :|
2 round 1 hole :)
3 rounds 1 hole :D
4 rounds 2 holes :(
5 rounds 3 holes :evil:
There's always room for at least one more gun in my safe.
There's always room for one more safe in my house.
anthillinside
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 28 Dec 2014, 2:54 pm

A good article on accuracy that's not overly technical and provides explanations of each point.

http://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowledgebase/Basic+Rifle+Accuracy+and+Ballistics.html
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by jays » 30 Dec 2014, 7:59 pm

rsj223 wrote:Well managed to get the group a bit smaller down to 28mm on the camp table, it looked like I was going to get around 21mm but that last shot stepped out to the right (4shots).

Always the last shot :lol:
jays
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Tiiger » 30 Dec 2014, 8:01 pm

rsj223 wrote:Well managed to get the group a bit smaller down to 28mm on the camp table, it looked like I was going to get around 21mm but that last shot stepped out to the right (4shots).

It happens.

How're you going on average? Was that the only group you shot or the best?
Tiiger
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by rsj223 » 31 Dec 2014, 11:40 pm

Tiiger wrote:

It happens.

How're you going on average? Was that the only group you shot or the best?

I can get every group under 40mm but yeah I only kept the best one but think I just need more time with it, I should do a few and post up all the results, think the next thing is to adjust the trigger try it a bit softer.
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Westy » 01 Jan 2015, 6:31 am

Tips to shoot straight

Spend lots of money it goes a very long way to improve you accuracy :idea: :idea: :idea:
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by lole » 02 Jan 2015, 10:45 am

Another tip.. Spend lots of time bragging on a forum so you forget how bad you were and remember being better :lol:

( jokes, not directed at anyone :))
lole
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by rsj223 » 02 Jan 2015, 12:31 pm

lole wrote:Another tip.. Spend lots of time bragging on a forum so you forget how bad you were and remember being better :lol:

( jokes, not directed at anyone :))

Was thinking of spending lots more and getting something better and then brag about it :lol:

I'm happy with where I'm at and would think it should get better as I think its me tensing up, shooting a 308 helped with the 223
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by scrolllock » 03 Jan 2015, 12:46 pm

rsj223 wrote:Was thinking of spending lots more and getting something better and then brag about it :lol:

For the love of god don't be one of those guys :lol:

There are 1-2 regulars at the 500m range I go to like that, big money sitting on the bench, seems to just be for decoration though as it doesn't have a mark on it and you never see them fire them.

Probably can't shoot to save their lives, just there to show they have a pretty toy.
scrolllock
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by rsj223 » 03 Mar 2015, 8:42 pm

Got some RWS Rifle Match for the .22 and some RWS Club, so had a shoot on the weekend and got down to 15mm center to center with the Match, so wrapped.
It had to do with where/how I look through the scope and taking my time oh and the ammo but cant wait to go through all my ammo again with this method.
And more so cant wait to see if it carries over to the 223
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by 1290 » 04 Mar 2015, 8:05 am

scrolllock wrote:
rsj223 wrote:Was thinking of spending lots more and getting something better and then brag about it :lol:

For the love of god don't be one of those guys :lol:

There are 1-2 regulars at the 500m range I go to like that, big money sitting on the bench, seems to just be for decoration though as it doesn't have a mark on it and you never see them fire them.

Probably can't shoot to save their lives, just there to show they have a pretty toy.

I think its more impressive to either shoot or see another person shoot 500m with a century old milsurp rifle :thumbsup: off hand open sights, of course :D
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 04 Mar 2015, 3:25 pm

rsj223 wrote:Got some RWS Rifle Match for the .22 and some RWS Club

Love the RWS club :thumbsup:

Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by rsj223 » 04 Mar 2015, 9:19 pm

Lorgar wrote:Love the RWS club :thumbsup:

It was your post that got me to buy some, I know now I was rushing any shot I took so cant wait to get some more time out.
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 05 Mar 2015, 3:09 pm

Ah, well there you go :)
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Previous