Is there arguably a "best" target shooting cartridge?

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

Post by pmomd » 11 Dec 2014, 6:22 pm

I might be opening up a can of worms with this but here goes.

I think 1,000yards is a good benchmark as there are lots capable of reaching that range, and it's far enough that skill is definitely a big factor.

There are people shooting it with 7mm, .308, 7mm and .30 magnum, 6mm and probably a dozen other popular ones if I looked up more.

Kinda makes me wonder if there is any point to one over the other. Obviously there isn't a clear winner by a mile or it's all that would get used.

For the sake of conversation though is there arguably a best one?
CZ 550 Varmint in .308 Winchester.
Ruger Hawkeye in 30-06 Springfield.
pmomd
Private
Private

Western Australia

Re: Is there arguably a "best" target shooting cartridge?

Post by Guliver » 11 Dec 2014, 6:43 pm

I'm not a rifle shooter but all the target shooting guys I know reload there own.

90% of centre Fire pistol shooters definitely do.
Guliver
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Chronos » 11 Dec 2014, 6:51 pm

.22 LR, it's the only rifle cartridge allowed at the Olympics so it must be the best.

Steve
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by yoshie » 11 Dec 2014, 7:16 pm

There are so many matches they all have the "best" cartridges.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by brett1868 » 11 Dec 2014, 7:56 pm

I look at this from a different angle...what's the target? If it's a vehicle then 50BMG / 416 Barrett are the go to rounds for hard target interdiction. For an insurgent then 338 Lap, 300WM, 375 Cheytac, 308 Win have all be used with success. If you're chasing the smallest possible group then Apollo is probably the best one to answer that.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by 1290 » 11 Dec 2014, 9:07 pm

Chronos wrote:.22 LR, it's the only rifle cartridge allowed at the Olympics so it must be the best.

Steve

used to be a different story....

Name the last centrefire rifle event ever held at the olympics and the cartridge used..... :?
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by mausermate » 11 Dec 2014, 9:24 pm

6.5 x 284 held a lot of records at the 1000 yard benchrest from what I have read. Got to be up there as one of the best at that range.
Now that's been said, who's coming for a shot?
mausermate
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 11 Dec 2014, 9:38 pm

1290 wrote:
Chronos wrote:.22 LR, it's the only rifle cartridge allowed at the Olympics so it must be the best.

Steve

used to be a different story....

Name the last centrefire rifle event ever held at the olympics and the cartridge used..... :?

Tough one, I know Fullbore us shot at commonwealth level.

I'd say full bore anyway. ? Maybe 50 years ago ???

I assume they shot biathlon or running boar at some stage with centerfire rifles. But I'm guessing

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by mausermate » 11 Dec 2014, 9:54 pm

Chronos,

They did do some sort of running target event, I think it was deer, way back...Not sure of the cartridge.

I'll have a guess and say it was pre 30/06 so I will go with the 30-40 Krag.
mausermate
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 12 Dec 2014, 5:26 am

yoshie wrote:There are so many matches they all have the "best" cartridges.

Pretty much.

200y benchrest for group it tends to be a no contest with 6PPC the cartridge if choice but when they shoot for score with best edge scoring larger cals win so 30BR comes into it.

600y BR and matches like Palma and a cross the course seem to be dominated by 6mm's also. Used to be 6BR, 6XC and creedmore but it seems now the improved BR case in Dasher or BRX form have taken over.

In F open the. 7mm cartridges seem to have it at the longer ranges. .284W and the improved Shehane are very popular as a Balkan e between recoil and balistics. Barrel life is better than a fast 6.5 and there's high BC billets in the 180 gr range

At 1000 y the short magnums are winning a bit. Less recoil than a big. .30cal and as with most other matches the short fat powder column appears to have the accuracy edge over long skinny cartridges.

You need to take into account rule differences. Strict rifle weight limits have an effect in what cartridges can be tolerated as far as recoil and may see an F class shooter chose a bugger hitter than a light varmint benchrest shooter.

In all honesty I'd choose a. 6mm as both a short range and a long range gun, infact I have with my 6PPC/6BR switch barrel

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Westy » 12 Dec 2014, 5:37 am

6mm br or a 6.5 x 47 or then there's my old favourite the 6.5x55 ( this is personal though) even the 260 is a great cal for long range work out to 1000m but not so much the 308 it loses speed way to early IMHO
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by 1290 » 12 Dec 2014, 12:25 pm

Theyve had a wide array of shooting comps at the ollies, yes running deer, running boar, with these discontinued due to the animal association no doubt. I believe the first modern games had pigeon (or possibly dove??) shooting as opposed to clay pigeon..... real birds - would have been interesting to watch the event and also the picket lines of PETA's ancestors....

This is a great > document here < with all the shooting events from 1896 onwards, Army rifle, Free rifle, 200,300,400,600,800m events!! and also all the small bore events, sgunning...

According to this chart there were no shooting event at only the 1904(St Louis) and 1928(Amsterdam game)... but when I was a young fella, I recall the pentathlon was shot in 1928... :D

I believe the free rifle / full bore used the same ISSF 8mm limit (Obvious military rifle origins) as the Comm games do....but the last Olympic full bore 'event' used the 7.62x39, I will add no further to this, apart from adding it was the reason the full bore was struck off the future Olympic event schedule.... :(

Apparently nowadays the 6mmBR is the go to 300m round.... girly recoil levels and all ;)
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by heron » 12 Dec 2014, 12:41 pm

1290 wrote:Name the last centrefire rifle event ever held at the olympics and the cartridge used..... :?

Centrefire pistol never made it to the Olympics in the past did it?
heron
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Norton » 12 Dec 2014, 12:42 pm

It did not.
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Octane » 12 Dec 2014, 1:06 pm

brett1868 wrote:I look at this from a different angle...what's the target? If it's a vehicle then 50BMG / 416 Barrett are the go to rounds for hard target interdiction.

I suspect he's not shooting vehicles when he refers to 'target shooting' :lol:
Octane
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Tiiger » 12 Dec 2014, 1:07 pm

Chronos wrote:Less recoil than a big. .30cal...

Usability goes a long way to "best" as well.

A lot of people can't shooting the bigger magnums, not well at least.
Tiiger
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by cavok » 12 Dec 2014, 1:26 pm

heron wrote:Centrefire pistol never made it to the Olympics in the past did it?

Not sure why some say NO. They are used in every other high ranking sport. ISSF should push harder.

The 25m Centre Fire match is shot with a handgun of any calibre between 7.62 mm (.30”) and 9.65 mm (.38”). The most popular choices by far are specially designed sport pistols and revolvers in .32 calibre.

Using a revolver is not a disadvantage because there are no speedy series of shots involved. The name Center-Fire comes from the ignition system of these calibers as opposed to the Rimfire of .22 cartridges.

If the calibres used are within the Olympic range of centre fire, using that word centre fire, they obviously are used.
“When all about you have lost their heads and you remain calm, perhaps you do not understand the problem”.
Per ardua ad astra.
cavok
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by mausermate » 12 Dec 2014, 1:45 pm

1290 wrote:I believe the free rifle / full bore used the same ISSF 8mm limit (Obvious military rifle origins) as the Comm games do....but the last Olympic full bore 'event' used the 7.62x39, I will add no further to this, apart from adding it was the reason the full bore was struck off the future Olympic event schedule.... :(
)

Are you saying that they could Use any cartridge provided it was under 8mm in those early games?
Why would the 7.62x39 be the reason full bore was struck off the schedule?
mausermate
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Prettybird » 12 Dec 2014, 3:11 pm

cavok wrote:Not sure why some say NO. They are used in every other high ranking sport. ISSF should push harder.

Who said no?

You meant the Olympics people wanted to take it but no ISSF organisers want to be part of it?

Or other way around?
Prettybird
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by cavok » 12 Dec 2014, 4:31 pm

Prettybird wrote:
cavok wrote:Not sure why some say NO. They are used in every other high ranking sport. ISSF should push harder.

Who said no?

You meant the Olympics people wanted to take it but no ISSF organisers want to be part of it?

Or other way around?

The other way round. Everyone in pistol shooting wants it, however it appears that only .177 and .22 make up Olympic pistol shooting. Then is they had centre fire all pistol shooting disciplines would want their type of pistol shooting to be part. There are so many variants, Western Action, ICORE, Bianchi Cup, ISSF, Black Powder Pistol, IPSC. The Olympics should allow any pistol match when the competitor uses 9mm or higher, smaller calibres are for wimps who think shooting one handed is fun. It will appear that others may have different views. :lol:
“When all about you have lost their heads and you remain calm, perhaps you do not understand the problem”.
Per ardua ad astra.
cavok
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by 1290 » 12 Dec 2014, 5:01 pm

mausermate wrote:
1290 wrote:I believe the free rifle / full bore used the same ISSF 8mm limit (Obvious military rifle origins) as the Comm games do....but the last Olympic full bore 'event' used the 7.62x39, I will add no further to this, apart from adding it was the reason the full bore was struck off the future Olympic event schedule.... :(
)

Are you saying that they could Use any cartridge provided it was under 8mm in those early games?
Why would the 7.62x39 be the reason full bore was struck off the schedule?

Mauser my friend...... you're not a student of history are you......I'm afraid to go into details as it will very quickly degenerate into something messy.... suffice it to say that only little bang sticks are welcomed now, it was decided that big bang sticks could no longer be trusted within the Olympic 'environment'.

I would love to see 'Army rifle' 800m comp with standard ammo..... even 300m comp...
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Westy » 13 Dec 2014, 5:44 am

1290 wrote:I would love to see 'Army rifle' 800m comp with standard ammo..... even 300m comp...

you and I know it wouldn't stay standard for to long 1290!!!! I mean the other athletes are injecting this and that into their bodies how long would the military cartridges stay standard Bro????LOL
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by mausermate » 13 Dec 2014, 8:36 am

1290 wrote:Mauser my friend...... you're not a student of history are you......I'm afraid to go into details as it will very quickly degenerate into something messy.... suffice it to say that only little bang sticks are welcomed now, it was decided that big bang sticks could no longer be trusted within the Olympic 'environment'.

I would love to see 'Army rifle' 800m comp with standard ammo..... even 300m comp...

Won't take the bait huh, Chicken.....balk, balk, balk..... :lol:
mausermate
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by 1290 » 13 Dec 2014, 8:39 am

Westy wrote:you and I know it wouldn't stay standard for to long 1290!!!! I mean the other athletes are injecting this and that into their bodies how long would the military cartridges stay standard Bro????LOL

Probably, but I wonder if the 'Army rifle' comp involved handing the competitor a random rifle off a rack proven/select grade rifles, along with a box of ammo.... that would sort the shooters out quickly
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Grrzrr » 13 Dec 2014, 12:12 pm

And everyone would blame everything on every gun because it wasn't theirs :lol:
Grrzrr
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by 1290 » 13 Dec 2014, 1:14 pm

mausermate wrote:
1290 wrote:Mauser my friend...... you're not a student of history are you......I'm afraid to go into details as it will very quickly degenerate into something messy.... suffice it to say that only little bang sticks are welcomed now, it was decided that big bang sticks could no longer be trusted within the Olympic 'environment'.

Won't take the bait huh, Chicken.....balk, balk, balk..... :lol:

Maybe..... ;)

I know that if I discuss the situation of 1972, and have the added audacity of expressing an opinion about it or related matters, perish the thought.... this thread will probably degenerate into something not too appealing to most then either be shut down, deleted or 100 pm's will results.... Most people dont wish to debate the realities of our world, and certainly dont wish to see my opinion in these pages.....

So basically; no full bore for the ollies today, tomorrow or probably e-v-e-r.
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by mausermate » 14 Dec 2014, 8:32 am

1290 wrote:
I know that if I discuss the situation of 1972, and have the added audacity of expressing an opinion about. it or related matters, perish the thought.... this thread will probably degenerate into something not too appealing to most then either be shut down, deleted or 100 pm's will results.... Most people dont wish to debate the realities of our world, and certainly dont wish to see my opinion in these pages.....

So basically; no full bore for the ollies today, tomorrow or probably e-v-e-r.

Oh :lol: I think get it now. You are pretty hard to follow sometimes 1290. But I don't think the Palestinian's were using the 7.62x39 in competition in 72 ? "hang on" they might debate that!

Who won that competition anyway?...Germany?. Israel certainly got the Bronze..er...Brass (plaque) :o :shock:

In all seriousness, a bloody mess and a real shame all that political, religious crap took centre stage at a sporting event. Time and a place for everything. They certainly got some headlines for it but not sure if they won many friends.....

Anyway, back to the topic. I like the 7.62 Nato (308) as a Target Cartridge. Always done me well.
mausermate
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Carter » 15 Dec 2014, 1:01 pm

pmomd wrote:For the sake of conversation though is there arguably a best one?

An argument is about all you'll get if you try :lol:
Carter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges