Shooting range checking licenses now (VIC)

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

Shooting range checking licenses now (VIC)

Post by scrolllock » 15 Dec 2014, 2:58 pm

Just wondering...

Went to my local SSAA range and for the first time had to show my longarm license to the RO.

Never had to do it before after dozens of visits. Asked the RO but he was new and that had been in practice since he started a few weeks before so didn't know why the change.

Ideas? Legal change maybe?

You're either licensed or shooting under the supervision of a range officer anyway right so what's the point?
scrolllock
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Shooting range checking licenses now (VIC)

Post by 1290 » 15 Dec 2014, 4:31 pm

Of course you need a licence. .....exempt only when under direct supervision
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Chronos » 15 Dec 2014, 4:44 pm

I have never shot at a range and not had to show my licence in nsw

Seems strange that you've never had to show it before, it would be part of their legal requirement I would have thought.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by RoginaJack » 15 Dec 2014, 10:11 pm

Chronos wrote:I have never shot at a range and not had to show my licence in nsw

Chronos

Sorry Chronos, but that's' confused me :?: :oops:
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 16 Dec 2014, 6:21 am

He's saying he has always had to show his license - me on the other hand haven't had to at my SSAA range, we do have to fill in the Range book and put down our license details there so one and a half a dozen of the other, either way a license is needed.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Chronos » 16 Dec 2014, 7:24 am

bigfellascott wrote:He's saying he has always had to show his license - me on the other hand haven't had to at my SSAA range, we do have to fill in the Range book and put down our license details there so one and a half a dozen of the other, either way a license is needed.

Yeah. Every range I use you either fill in the book and show your licence or they scan your ssaa card and you show your licence

These ranges include SAAA ACT, Batemans Bay, Mudgee, silverdale, st Mary's, hurstville, greystanes, gilgandra

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by scrolllock » 16 Dec 2014, 2:19 pm

1290 wrote:Of course you need a licence. .....exempt only when under direct supervision

I worded that last bit of my post badly, edited now. My point was...

In the past I've gone to Little River dozens of times, I was asked if I was licensed most times, said yes, and off I went without showing it.

Been to Springvale dozens of times also, never been asked for it.

This time I had to show it before being allowed to shoot.

That's the difference I'm asking about.
scrolllock
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 16 Dec 2014, 2:23 pm

Chronos wrote:Seems strange that you've never had to show it before, it would be part of their legal requirement I would have thought.

Must not be legislation here.

I haven't searched the legislation for it, but the two ranges I frequent (or did in the past) are the same Little River and Springvale that Scrolllock goes to and I've never been asked to show it.

The regular woman at Little River asks, just so she can give you the safety spiel etc. if required but I've never been asked to produce the license for confirmation after saying yes.

There are signs at the ranges saying your forbidden from shooting/handling firearms if you're currently deemed not a fit and proper person, have a criminal conviction, blah blah blah blah. They have the signs up to cover their bases I guess but there is no enforcement of it AFAIK.

Up to this point at least.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by VICHunter » 16 Dec 2014, 6:42 pm

I don't hit the range very often but don't believe I've had to show the physical license at all in years past either.
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by 1290 » 16 Dec 2014, 7:04 pm

The times I have attended Eagle Park, I know that the SSAA member number is required, Honestly cant recall being asked for the licence, but regardless.....I'm sure the liability and responsibility to be licensed remains with the individual.....(IE. Not the operator of the range).
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Harper » 17 Dec 2014, 10:27 am

Sounds like an internal decision just to cover their bases probably.

If something unlikely were to occur they can say they'd done everything they were able to do.
Savage 14/114 American Classic 30-06 Springfield
Savage Axis 25-06 Remington
Harper
Corporal
Corporal

Northern Territory

Post by Monty » 17 Dec 2014, 10:32 am

scrolllock wrote:You're either licensed or shooting under the supervision of a range officer anyway right so what's the point?

Well there's a few aspects to that.

Supervision means supervision. If you're there unlicensed having an RO 100m away at the other end of the firing line isn't going to count. You'd need to be in the RO's area of direct supervision or with a licensed shooter.

You took your own rifle too right? Not using a club gun? I suspect it was more about that than your shooting at the range. You might not need a license to shoot once supervised, but you need it to be walking in and out with the rifle.

I'm sure they wouldn't be allowed to knowingly let you bring a rifle into the range for supervised used as you're already breaking the law before you got there. And again when you leave. They can't be party to that and by asking they've covered their bases.

That's my suspicion.
Obligatory moderator signature: If you can't play by the rules, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Monty

New South Wales

Post by anthillinside » 21 Dec 2014, 7:48 pm

If your talking Springvale,

Yes, there's are some new RO's in training, so it's not supprising.

The first few times I went I was asked for my license, or if I there is a new RO.

I's amazing just how many people the RO's remember.

They also try to keep regulars, licensed newbies and give it a go people grouped together, it makes sense for them and is good practice.
There's always room for at least one more gun in my safe.
There's always room for one more safe in my house.
anthillinside
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by scrolllock » 22 Dec 2014, 2:47 pm

Yep, Springvale shooting range.
scrolllock
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by cavok » 22 Dec 2014, 3:15 pm

scrolllock wrote:
1290 wrote:Of course you need a licence. .....exempt only when under direct supervision

I worded that last bit of my post badly, edited now. My point was...

In the past I've gone to Little River dozens of times, I was asked if I was licensed most times, said yes, and off I went without showing it.

Been to Springvale dozens of times also, never been asked for it.

This time I had to show it before being allowed to shoot.

That's the difference I'm asking about.

Went to Springvale range Thursday and shot rifle and pistol, no one asked to see my licence and never have.

However I have only been to Springvale a few times this year, lol.

Also speaking to other shooters none have mentioned anything about licence being asked for?
“When all about you have lost their heads and you remain calm, perhaps you do not understand the problem”.
Per ardua ad astra.
cavok
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by scrolllock » 23 Dec 2014, 9:00 am

Who knows then.

Maybe just an over-zealous new range officer.
scrolllock
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Jack V » 23 Dec 2014, 4:22 pm

They are supposed to check licenses at the sign in to a range In NSW anyway. However they don't usually check them at the firing line after that.

Some ranges are making non club members wear a visitors name ticket now. However I think that is a security risk and will get more people robbed. Plenty of not signed in visitors just turn up and are gone before anyone notices them. They could just walk about and take names and leave. It's stupid.

The people that are ruining this sport more than the Government are the range committees and officials. It will not help identify bad guys who should not be there because they will just pin on a ticket with a bodge name on it, but they will see your name.
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Hadoku » 24 Dec 2014, 12:47 pm

Jack V wrote:Some ranges are making non club members wear a visitors name ticket now.

Gotta label those damn townies so they can give them the cold shoulder! :lol:
Hadoku
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by ex_reven » 31 Dec 2014, 11:15 am

In NSW the range would be in hot water if a licence is not sighted upon arrival, and/or if a person is shooting on the range without signing in.

Surely the range conditions state that a licence has to be sighted?
Custom 6mm Dasher
Sako 85, Sako Quad,
K98, K98 Sniper, No 4 Mk 1/2, Norinco JW25a
Kimber 1911 .45ACP, S&W 629 .44 Mag, Walther PPQ, Walther P22, S&W 686, Colt Gold Cup
Akkar Churchill, Crossman 1077
ex_reven
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by cavok » 31 Dec 2014, 11:21 am

ex_reven wrote:In NSW the range would be in hot water if a licence is not sighted upon arrival, and/or if a person is shooting on the range without signing in.

Surely the range conditions state that a licence has to be sighted?

Not in sunny Victoria ever. Every time I go to NSW it's mandatory as is SA. However if I want to shoot at a SSAA range I still need to show my SSAA membership card.
“When all about you have lost their heads and you remain calm, perhaps you do not understand the problem”.
Per ardua ad astra.
cavok
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges