South Aus - Shooting ranges

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

South Aus - Shooting ranges

Post by ShootaMCjohn » 28 Dec 2014, 10:11 am

Howdy guys i have been looking into a few shootings ranges here in South Australia(link below) if any South Aussies have been to any of these clubs and could leave some feedback that would be great..Extremely interested in heading out to a range for the day :D

I have been in contact with a couple of Clubs to find out about membership fees and when they have live fire days... I Dropped into the Sturt Pistol Club on Majors road on the 6th December to have a look around i must admit the guys and lady that i spoke to were very welcoming! The club coach took me under his wing and showed me around and gave me a quick lesson on what to do and what not to do then let me have a few shot of his Olympic style .22 pistol.. :D

I did see one guy at the Sturt pistol club using a rifle on the target but obviously its mainly Pistols firing. They have left/right handed benches there to be setup for people wanting to use rifles on the targets. :D

So if any of you SA guys are involved with a club here in SA let me know a bit about it.

CHEERS

Here's the Target Rifle SA homepage
http://www.targetriflesa.com/club.html

Sturt Pistol Club
http://www.spsc.sarpa.org.au/
- Ruger American Rimfire .22
ShootaMCjohn
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Re: South Aus - Shooting ranges

Post by cavok » 28 Dec 2014, 10:24 am

ShootaMCjohn wrote:Howdy guys i have been looking into a few shootings ranges here in South Australia(link below) if any South Aussies have been to any of these clubs and could leave some feedback that would be great..Extremely interested in heading out to a range for the day :D

I have been in contact with a couple of Clubs to find out about membership fees and when they have live fire days... I Dropped into the Sturt Pistol Club on Majors road on the 6th December to have a look around i must admit the guys and lady that i spoke to were very welcoming! The club coach took me under his wing and showed me around and gave me a quick lesson on what to do and what not to do then let me have a few shot of his Olympic style .22 pistol.. :D

I did see one guy at the Sturt pistol club using a rifle on the target but obviously its mainly Pistols firing. They have left/right handed benches there to be setup for people wanting to use rifles on the targets. :D

So if any of you SA guys are involved with a club here in SA let me know a bit about it.

CHEERS

Here's the Target Rifle SA homepage
http://www.targetriflesa.com/club.html

Sturt Pistol Club
http://www.spsc.sarpa.org.au/

Its not about pistol clubs in South Australia, it's the shooting discipline they adopt. The club you mention Stuart if they have Olympic style pistols are an ISSF club that shoot with .177 & .22 pistols, possibly some service match. MOST, not all hate other shooting styles, possibly hate is to strong a word but would not shoot IPSC or Western Action, IF that is the style of shooting you wish to enjoy you need to descried what shooting style best suits you, THEN find a club that shoot your style and still allows .22 shooting and encourages all shooting. For some reason ISSF and IPSC - Western Action appear not to get on to well.
So, what style of shooting suits you, what type of pistol do you wish to use, .45, .357sig, 9mm, .38 super. Pistol clubs possibly the best or one of the largest is Southern Vales Practical they shoot IPSC and all manner of pistols, there are several large good pistol clubs in And around Adelaide. Good luck.
Last edited by cavok on 28 Dec 2014, 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
“When all about you have lost their heads and you remain calm, perhaps you do not understand the problem”.
Per ardua ad astra.
cavok
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by ShootaMCjohn » 28 Dec 2014, 10:29 am

A rifle mate..

Rifle will be the main firearm that i will be using at a range. ;D

I added the Sturt Pistol Club in my post as i went there a couple weeks ago..
ShootaMCjohn
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by tom604 » 28 Dec 2014, 3:48 pm

para range,,not involved with them just go there when i sight in,it has a 300 yard range, lower light, mainly for long distance 1000 mtr range but if you talk to them they will work something out for you,cheap as well. there's another one up norton summit rd/north east rd way. and one at monarto. don't know any down south
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by ShootaMCjohn » 29 Dec 2014, 8:48 am

tom604 wrote:para range,,not involved with them just go there when i sight in,it has a 300 yard range, lower light, mainly for long distance 1000 mtr range but if you talk to them they will work something out for you,cheap as well. there's another one up norton summit rd/north east rd way. and one at monarto. don't know any down south

Cheers Tom :)

The Para Range looks good cheers
ShootaMCjohn
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by huccl » 31 Dec 2014, 11:04 am

The zoning is what limits what a range can and can't shoot.

They can all do .22LR though so you're in luck.

If they do rifles (it's not exclusively a pistol range) you can shoot there.
Browning A-Bolt M-1000 Eclipse 308 Win
CZ 453 Varmint 22LR
huccl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by ailar » 08 Jan 2015, 1:28 pm

ailar
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Sav » 02 Mar 2015, 8:22 pm

What South Austin shooting ranges do you guys use? Especially for centrefire rifles
Sav
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by subatom » 03 Mar 2015, 10:25 am

Usually the state range in Monarto South.
Remington VTR .308 Winchester. Marlin 336 .35 Remington. Mossberg 185 20 gauge.
subatom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Sav » 04 Mar 2015, 7:41 pm

subatom wrote:Usually the state range in Monarto South.

Thanks for the reply can u just go at certain times?

Currently I go to wingfield and its sort of just walk in shoot and don't have to worry about others but that's just .22s
Sav
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by subatom » 05 Mar 2015, 2:54 pm

Monarto is centrefire to 500m.

There are shooting times, you can't just rock up 24/7 whenever you like.

It's actually been a few months since I've been, I've forgotten the timetable.

Check their contact page here though http://www.monartomsrc.org.au/contact_us.html

It has email's of the various people to send enquiry to and they'll send all the info back I'm sure.
Remington VTR .308 Winchester. Marlin 336 .35 Remington. Mossberg 185 20 gauge.
subatom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges