What would you like to see at the Range?

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

What would you like to see at the Range?

Post by ex_reven » 03 Jan 2015, 2:18 pm

Hi guys,

I wanted to get your opinions on what changes, features or facilities you would like to see at a range.
If you currently attend a range, what about it don't you like and what would you improve?

What matches/shooting disciplines/types of shooting would you like to see made available?

Would you like on site reloading facilities, chronograph hire, music etc?

I am part of a group of volunteers that RO's and runs shoots out at Windamere range outside of Mudgee and we are constantly looking for ways to improve the range to make it a better facility for shooters.
(Eg we are currently working on bench and field lighting so we can run shotgun and metallic silhouette til 10pm :D)

Your input is appreciated!
Custom 6mm Dasher
Sako 85, Sako Quad,
K98, K98 Sniper, No 4 Mk 1/2, Norinco JW25a
Kimber 1911 .45ACP, S&W 629 .44 Mag, Walther PPQ, Walther P22, S&W 686, Colt Gold Cup
Akkar Churchill, Crossman 1077
ex_reven
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: What would you like to see at the Range?

Post by Westy » 04 Jan 2015, 6:40 am

I'd like to see all the Dicks with 308's Cals with a break and up put in a Perspex box when shooting so they can know the feeling the rest of us get having to sit next to them at the range>>>>>>> And why Perspex so we can sit around it and watch and laugh our Asses off!!!
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by ex_reven » 04 Jan 2015, 8:59 am

Hi Westy, our range is outdoors with plenty of benches and space on the line so braked rifles aren't such an issue - either that or we get out a suitably loud bangstick of our own and fire back lol
Custom 6mm Dasher
Sako 85, Sako Quad,
Kimber 1911 .45ACP, S&W 629 .44 Mag, Walther PPQ, Walther P22, S&W 686, Colt Gold Cup
ex_reven
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 04 Jan 2015, 9:18 am

Ranges that are capable of shooting out to a 1000m min would be good, 2000m would be better.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by ex_reven » 04 Jan 2015, 10:12 am

bigfellascott wrote:Ranges that are capable of shooting out to a 1000m min would be good, 2000m would be better.

It would be nice but FAR just doesn't want them happening by the looks of it.
We have 2-3km of drop zone in some areas of the range complex but the furthest we are templated for is 500m, 8mm Calibre Limit
Custom 6mm Dasher
Sako 85, Sako Quad,
ex_reven
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 04 Jan 2015, 10:23 am

bigfellascott wrote:Ranges that are capable of shooting out to a 1000m min would be good, 2000m would be better.

+1 to that :)

Also I'd like to see some comps for the bigger guns similar to what the U.S have http://fcsa.org/

Westy, You're welcome to shoot next to me if you don't like the amount of muzzle blast from a .308 maybe the blast from a 50 is more to your liking :D :D :D
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by ex_reven » 04 Jan 2015, 10:36 am

AFAIK the only range you can stretch out the legs on a .50 on in NSW is at Tilterweira Station, so far inland that you'd be better off shooting on someones property.

We have asked for increases in calibre limits in the past - met with a resounding no.
Custom 6mm Dasher
Sako 85, Sako Quad,
ex_reven
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 04 Jan 2015, 3:45 pm

ex_reven wrote:AFAIK the only range you can stretch out the legs on a .50 on in NSW is at Tilterweira Station, so far inland that you'd be better off shooting on someones property.

We have asked for increases in calibre limits in the past - met with a resounding no.

Was afraid of that, luckily I have family 6 hrs away with plenty of space for the big guns and they love to shoot. I'm currently in the market to purchase a property upwards of 1000 acres a little closer to home just so I can shoot more often.

What's the max you can use out there? 338 Lap would be nice :)
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by ex_reven » 04 Jan 2015, 4:02 pm

8mm is the max calibre unless it's a Safari rifle and then they can shoot pretty much whatever calibre with black powder.

Pistol has different calibres on each range but max cal is high calibre for Silhouette up to .45
Custom 6mm Dasher
Sako 85, Sako Quad,
ex_reven
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Westy » 04 Jan 2015, 5:23 pm

ex_reven wrote:Hi Westy, our range is outdoors with plenty of benches and space on the line so braked rifles aren't such an issue - either that or we get out a suitably loud bangstick of our own and fire back lol

Sorry Mate just having a rave as yesterday a young wanker set up next to me with a 338 Norma with a break and couldn't under stand why 1/2 the range was calling him a ******???? :lol: :lol: :lol: At best he could shoot was 5" groups at 100m so that showed us!!!!! :lol: :x :D
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Westy » 04 Jan 2015, 5:28 pm

brett1868 wrote:

+1 to that :)

Also I'd like to see some comps for the bigger guns similar to what the U.S have http://fcsa.org/

Westy, You're welcome to shoot next to me if you don't like the amount of muzzle blast from a .308 maybe the blast from a 50 is more to your liking :D :D :D

Well I think I'll be giving that one a miss Brett , I have no problem with large Cals as I have a few myself but I hate when Rambo turns up with his anti helicopter cannon and then proceeds to shoot it @ 50 m WTF and his 100M group is 6" ( Scratching my Head) :lol: :lol: :lol: I firmly believe if you want to shoot a 338 Lap then 500m should be the starting point ,Ohh and buy me a beer to shut my mouth!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by huccl » 05 Jan 2015, 9:04 am

ex_reven wrote:I wanted to get your opinions on what changes, features or facilities you would like to see at a range.
If you currently attend a range, what about it don't you like and what would you improve?

IMO, it would be great if there were a couple of gongs set up at each interval for the length of the range. Maybe 3-4 at each interval so there are a few to go around.

Some 3" gongs at 200m, 5" gongs at 300m and so on....

Either shooters don't have them, too expensive or impractical to get/use big ones for distance, pain in the ass to carry them out there, blah blah...

I reckon shooters would love that.
Browning A-Bolt M-1000 Eclipse 308 Win
CZ 453 Varmint 22LR
huccl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by melanie » 05 Jan 2015, 9:53 am

I don't think this is a problem that will effect many but it's my one.

I'm a pretty short girl and I find the benches are too high for me too shoot comfortably at the ranges I've visited.

A few kids/womens benches would be good if feasible.

I'm in SA, not at your range, but I guess your local shorties are having the same problem.
melanie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Chronos » 05 Jan 2015, 10:08 am

melanie wrote:I don't think this is a problem that will effect many but it's my one.

I'm a pretty short girl and I find the benches are too high for me too shoot comfortably at the ranges I've visited.

A few kids/womens benches would be good if feasible.

I'm in SA, not at your range, but I guess your local shorties are having the same problem.

That's a common problem for my wife (5'3") and although some chairs at ranges are stackable and you can use 2 or more

Maine shooters who spend a lot of time sitting at those benches bring their own chaos, some use a drum stool which can be wound up and down to suit different bench heights.

The issue may be tfst most ranges use a selection of second hand school chairs or chairs rescued from church halls.

I agree if you were purchasing seats for a range Id look at height adjustable stools.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Aussier » 05 Jan 2015, 10:20 am

huccl wrote:IMO, it would be great if there were a couple of gongs set up at each interval for the length of the range. Maybe 3-4 at each interval so there are a few to go around.

Same suggestion, but with something for reading wind at 100, 200 etc.
Aussier
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by ex_reven » 05 Jan 2015, 11:15 am

huccl wrote:
ex_reven wrote:I wanted to get your opinions on what changes, features or facilities you would like to see at a range.

IMO, it would be great if there were a couple of gongs set up at each interval for the length of the range. Maybe 3-4 at each interval so there are a few to go around.

Some 3" gongs at 200m, 5" gongs at 300m and so on....

Either shooters don't have them, too expensive or impractical to get/use big ones for distance, pain in the ass to carry them out there, blah blah...

I reckon shooters would love that.

Thanks mate, this will be in our list of projects for the near future. We have already looked into costings for steel etc and were planning on a permanent sighting gong for each distance beyond 100m. We just have to figure out a good permanent mounting system for it the range is grazed when not in use so it needs to be cow proof
Then present it to the committee for approval :P

One of our ranges already has steel at each distance but it is reserved for lead rounds only as it is mild steel plate.
Custom 6mm Dasher
Sako 85, Sako Quad,
ex_reven
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by scrolllock » 05 Jan 2015, 1:29 pm

ex_reven wrote:We just have to figure out a good permanent mounting system for it the range is grazed when not in use so it needs to be cow proof

Is that the polite way of saying it needs to be proof against the muppets who shoot the mount? :lol:
scrolllock
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by RealNick » 05 Jan 2015, 2:17 pm

ex_reven wrote:One of our ranges already has steel at each distance but it is reserved for lead rounds only as it is mild steel plate.

They have a couple of gongs at Little River here in VIC but they're obviously made of the wrong steel. 300m is the closest I think and 500m.

Even at 500m they're Swiss cheese. There is literally more holes than steel left and this point and you can go through the plates without hitting them... You just see the dirt puff.

Frustrating but they don't seem to be replacing them :(

Thumbs up for this idea too.
RealNick
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Odo » 05 Jan 2015, 2:58 pm

I would like to see my pistol club allow people to try the service matches with a rimfire. At present anything not "official" is ruled out. So a new shooter has to beg, borrow or steal a centre fire pistol or revolver to see if they want to fork out the cash to get the required gun and gear.
I would also like the club to have centre fire handguns for hire, but nobody will agree to providing reloads because of liability issues. Factory ammo is a bit noisy as we have houses nearby.
Smith and Wesson. Norinco. Chinese Brno. Feinwerkbau. Gamo. Sportco. Slazenger. Drulov.
Odo
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Grated » 05 Jan 2015, 4:31 pm

ex_reven wrote:We have asked for increases in calibre limits in the past - met with a resounding no.

You've got a 3km backing and still no?

Did they tell you how long they want you to have?
Thin out their numbers, Ned!

Mmm, thin out their numbers!
Grated
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by ex_reven » 05 Jan 2015, 6:56 pm

scrolllock wrote:
ex_reven wrote:We just have to figure out a good permanent mounting system for it the range is grazed when not in use so it needs to be cow proof

Is that the polite way of saying it needs to be proof against the muppets who shoot the mount? :lol:

*Cough* No.
:lol:

RealNick wrote:
They have a couple of gongs at Little River here in VIC but they're obviously made of the wrong steel. 300m is the closest I think and 500m.

Even at 500m they're Swiss cheese. There is literally more holes than steel left and this point and you can go through the plates without hitting them... You just see the dirt puff.

Frustrating but they don't seem to be replacing them :(

Thumbs up for this idea too.

They are probably mild steel (for most purposes - especially at greater ranges - this is not an issue. But if someone hits it with a .338 or something that has a heap of left over velocity with a full metal jacket construction then its going to eat the plate.

We have a few already (and the plan is to get more) AR500 Plates, which are bisalloy plates designed to be abrasion resistant.
Its a step below the armour plating used in military vehicles - but when you get the standard 12mm thick stuff not much can hurt it.
Custom 6mm Dasher
Sako 85, Sako Quad,
ex_reven
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by ex_reven » 05 Jan 2015, 7:20 pm

Odo wrote:I would like to see my pistol club allow people to try the service matches with a rimfire. At present anything not "official" is ruled out. So a new shooter has to beg, borrow or steal a centre fire pistol or revolver to see if they want to fork out the cash to get the required gun and gear.
I would also like the club to have centre fire handguns for hire, but nobody will agree to providing reloads because of liability issues. Factory ammo is a bit noisy as we have houses nearby.

SSAA Service or PA Service?

I coordinate SSAA Combined Services at Mudgee, as far as I'm concerned people can shoot whatever they want in a match - as long as people are shooting the same course of fire alongside us then I don't see any issue with it. The national rules are exactly that - rules to ensure consistency across Australia when running competitive matches. If it is just a club level match who cares? Proper calendared competitions are a bit different but otherwise :roll:

Hiring pistols would depend on the club and their resources, we have a lot of pistols floating around and people are usually happy to lend them for a match. Wouldn't let people run their own reloads though, not a good idea.

The bottom line is - disciplines should be bending over backwards to get shooters involved - not the other way round.

Grated wrote:
ex_reven wrote:We have asked for increases in calibre limits in the past - met with a resounding no.

You've got a 3km backing and still no?

Did they tell you how long they want you to have?

The silhouette range has 3.2km to a road directly forward down the firing line.
I think their problem is if someone fires at a 40 degree angle to the centre of the range template then its about 1.9km to the road.
They ignore all the big ass hills - they don't exist on a template. The road is probably elevated at least 100m above the firing line too - good luck dialling that elevation at 1000m lol

I don't think its a matter of drop zone... just politics.
Would be hell-a-fun to run 1000m benchrest with the 6mm.

The wind out there is pretty challenging.

Custom 6mm Dasher
Sako 85, Sako Quad,
ex_reven
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Westy » 05 Jan 2015, 8:01 pm

I think I'd like to see more pole dancing at my range!!!We never seem to get enough!!!! Go figure???
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Warrigul » 05 Jan 2015, 9:11 pm

It's a bit of a strange request at a shooting range but seeing as you are a regular then this is just for you Westy.

polish dancing.jpg
polish dancing.jpg (19.46 KiB) Viewed 5590 times
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Westy » 05 Jan 2015, 9:38 pm

Man them Polish girls sure can move!!!!LMAO :drinks: :friends: :thumbsup:
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by ex_reven » 05 Jan 2015, 10:40 pm

Westy wrote:I think I'd like to see more pole dancing at my range!!!We never seem to get enough!!!! Go figure???

Ranges sheds are held up with square hollow section instead of round.
Rookie error.
Custom 6mm Dasher
Sako 85, Sako Quad,
ex_reven
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by RealNick » 06 Jan 2015, 10:45 am

ex_reven wrote:They are probably mild steel (for most purposes - especially at greater ranges - this is not an issue. But if someone hits it with a .338 or something that has a heap of left over velocity with a full metal jacket construction then its going to eat the plate.

They only have the one big gong out at 500m so it's the target of literally every shooter, no matter what they have chambered.

.300wm, 338, the occasional 50cal.

If anyone feels like shooting a gong, it cops it all.
RealNick
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Herdsman » 06 Jan 2015, 10:48 am

How about a few valets to run out targets :lol:
Shepherding bullets down range.

Tikka Hunter Stainless Fluted 300 Win Mag
Tikka Battue Lite .308 Win
Tikka Varmint Stainless .222 Rem
Herdsman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by SendIt » 06 Jan 2015, 10:49 am

ex_reven wrote:The road is probably elevated at least 100m above the firing line too - good luck dialling that elevation at 1000m lol

Maybe if you stack up a few 30MOA rails between your scope and action :sarcasm:

You might be looking at the tip of the muzzle by the time you get there though :lol:
Sako 85 Hunter Laminated Stainless 30-06 Sprg
Zeiss Conquest HD5 2-10x42

Winchester 1892 44-40
SendIt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Sender » 06 Jan 2015, 1:16 pm

I reckon some communal cleaning stuff could be good.

I wouldn't expect a range to supply fluids, but would a few rods, brushes and a workbench with some supports/mounts to sit rifles in be doable?

It's one of those things which can be handy at the range on occasion, but are a pain to truck around the rods and a bag for the back half and when you may or may not use them. Easy to bring a bottle of solvent and a patches yourself though.
Sender
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges