Can't get my breathing right

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

Post by sally-bee » 15 Jan 2015, 3:13 pm

Hi guys,

Need some tips on breathing (yes, in and out, I know :P)

Holding a breath for a shot works for me to start, but after a few shots I'm fatigued from holding my breath and it just becomes more of a distraction.

How do you guys do it?
sally-bee
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Re: Can't get my breathing right

Post by bigfellascott » 15 Jan 2015, 3:23 pm

I don't worry about it. (keep forgetting so fook it, ain't that important for hunting purposes anyway) :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by 1290 » 15 Jan 2015, 3:40 pm

Are you shooting fish underwater? why hold your breath...??
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by handofcod » 15 Jan 2015, 5:13 pm

Breath in through nose slowly, exhale through mouth slowly. Do this until you feel relaxed and undistracted. Then squeeze trigger slowly while exhaling. I usually fire towards the end of the breath.
CZ452 22lr | Remington 5R Milspec in .223 | Tikka Hunter in 300wsm | Ruger Scout in .308
handofcod
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Jack V » 15 Jan 2015, 6:53 pm

You breath in normally then exhale when you are about ready to take the shot . Hold at about 2 thirds exhaled and then gently squeeze off . You don't hold your breath for any length of time or hold with full lungs as that will increase heart rate . If the shot don't present then you start over again when ready .
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by tom604 » 15 Jan 2015, 8:13 pm

Jack V wrote:You breath in normally then exhale when you are about ready to take the shot . Hold at about 2 thirds exhaled and then gently squeeze off . You don't hold your breath for any length of time or hold with full lungs as that will increase heart rate . If the shot don't present then you start over again when ready .

this^^^^^ but i hold on empty, may have to try the two thirds, why two thirds by the way? :lol:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by Jack V » 15 Jan 2015, 8:49 pm

tom604 wrote:
Jack V wrote:You breath in normally then exhale when you are about ready to take the shot . Hold at about 2 thirds exhaled and then gently squeeze off . You don't hold your breath for any length of time or hold with full lungs as that will increase heart rate . If the shot don't present then you start over again when ready .

this^^^^^ but i hold on empty, may have to try the two thirds, why two thirds by the way? :lol:

There is no strict rule on it . Comfort is important also. If that works for you it's all good. The main reason snipers hold at about 1/3 lung capacity ( some use half capacity ) is it gives more time to make the shot . If you hold on empty you have less time before you need to breath again . Do an experiment breathe out to where you think your empty but then force more air out . You will find you are in fact at about 2/3 capacity anyway with a comfortable breath out .
I tend to just breath out til I stop exhaling naturally and that is a comfortable spot with some breath left .
The main thing is the coordination of the breathing with the sight picture and trigger squeeze so you are not breathing while squeezing off .
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Noisydad » 15 Jan 2015, 9:31 pm

...and don't spend to much time aiming and over thinking the shot. If you've not got your shot off in about 3 seconds stop the aim, lift your head and breathe and start again. Essentially, if your sights are on the target touch off the shot don't try and stop the figure eight motion - you never will! No one does. Everyone moves their sighting picture in a figure eight motion (to a greater or lesser degree and it could be vertical, horizontal or inclined). All you have to do is time your trigger squeeze with the centre of your figure eight motion's path through the aiming point.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Jack V » 16 Jan 2015, 7:56 am

Just to be clear . My comments are mainly relevant to firing supported , bipod , BR rest , bags etc. Noisydad's comments are true of shooting unsupported or prone with sling etc. where you still get a fair bit of sight picture movement to contend with . However the breathing thing remains about the same .
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by sally-bee » 16 Jan 2015, 12:05 pm

1290 wrote:Are you shooting fish underwater?

No I'm not..... Yet :lol:
sally-bee
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by sally-bee » 16 Jan 2015, 12:06 pm

bigfellascott wrote:I don't worry about it. (keep forgetting so fook it, ain't that important for hunting purposes anyway) :D

Well that's one way to solve the problem :lol:

Just something I want to try for myself and see what, if any difference it makes for me on the targets.
sally-bee
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by sally-bee » 16 Jan 2015, 12:07 pm

Jack V wrote:If the shot don't present then you start over again when ready .

Only talking targets so they're not going to run off any time soon :D
sally-bee
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by becks » 16 Jan 2015, 12:08 pm

Noisydad wrote:Essentially, if your sights are on the target touch off the shot don't try and stop the figure eight motion - you never will! No one does.

Or you manage to hold it perfectly still for a second then it's like you've used up all your 'stable' and it's twice as worse :lol:
Howa Ranchland 7mm
Remington 7600 pump-action .243
Martin XT-22
becks
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by Lorgar » 16 Jan 2015, 12:17 pm

Just my personal experience and preference here...

When I'm shooting BR I relax and let the air flow out (rather than pushing the air out), about what feels like 1/4 left I sit still relaxed without actually holding. Haven't 'closed the valve' if you know what I mean.

I find the actually 'holding' of my breathe to be distracting. I don't know that it actually makes my shooting worse through tremors or anything like that, but I'm very aware I'm holding my breathe and find it a distraction.

Sounds weird I know but that's what works for me.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by anthillinside » 17 Jan 2015, 11:14 am

Everyone has their own method that works for them.

Try them all, and try some some from your own feelings.

You'll find what works for you.

Then you'll discover ....... you have a heart beat :problem:

Try geting that right :crazy: :D
There's always room for at least one more gun in my safe.
There's always room for one more safe in my house.
anthillinside
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Jack V » 17 Jan 2015, 3:20 pm

sally-bee wrote:
Jack V wrote:If the shot don't present then you start over again when ready .

Only talking targets so they're not going to run off any time soon :D

You can still get caught by sudden wind and you don't want to shoot . You can get caught by sudden mirage and you don't want to shoot . You can still get caught by the jitters and you don't want to shoot . The term "present " can also cover when you decide not to shoot for some reason .
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Herdsman » 18 Jan 2015, 4:55 pm

anthillinside wrote:Then you'll discover ....... you have a heart beat :problem:

Try geting that right :crazy: :D

Nope, didn't bother :lol:
Shepherding bullets down range.

Tikka Hunter Stainless Fluted 300 Win Mag
Tikka Battue Lite .308 Win
Tikka Varmint Stainless .222 Rem
Herdsman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges