Giving up the guns

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

Giving up the guns

Post by Prios » 03 Feb 2015, 12:07 pm

I might not have much of an audience for this as if you've done it you're probably not on the forum any more but here goes :lol:

Anyone given up their license/guns for whatever reason?

Didn't use them enough, stopped enjoying it, whatever the reason may be?

An older colleague of mine doesn't have the legs any more to carry him around on a hunt and isn't into target shooting. He's now tossing up between hanging onto them in case the grand kids are interested which is still 7-8 years away or selling his stuff which will be a significant amount of money he could reinvest into a hobby for himself now.

Just got me wondering is all.
Browning T-Bolt 17HMR + Leupold VX-1 4-12x40
Browning X Bolt Hunter 30-06 Springfield + Leupold VX-1 3-9x40
Prios
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: Giving up the guns

Post by Baldrick314 » 03 Feb 2015, 12:20 pm

I had a couple mates give up because their wives/ girlfriends didn't like it. Relationships all broke down and they had to re-buy everything :lol:

Can't imagine I'd ever give it up for anything short of I needed the money to feed my family
.177, .22lr, .22-250R, 2x .308W, .30-30W, 7.62x54r, 8x56r, 9x19, .357 Mag, 12GA
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by pajamatime » 03 Feb 2015, 4:38 pm

Baldrick314 wrote:I had a couple mates give up because their wives/ girlfriends didn't like it. Relationships all broke down and they had to re-buy everything :lol:

Can't imagine I'd ever give it up for anything short of I needed the money to feed my family

Thank god my wife supports me 100% then<3 I so lucky =)
Shes even been hinting at wanting to go for her Firearms Licence?

with that said, I think you should sell yours and go buy me some popcorn and beer.
I'm really hungry :cry:
The Prudent see the evil and hide but the Naive keep going and are punished for it
pajamatime
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 03 Feb 2015, 5:42 pm

Pajamatime, I'm happy to give him the full price of $9 each. Sorry couldn't help my self, just can't pass up a bargain. :( :lol:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Baldrick314 » 03 Feb 2015, 9:04 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Pajamatime, I'm happy to give him the full price of $9 each. Sorry couldn't help my self, just can't pass up a bargain. :( :lol:

It's alright, you're overpaying on at least one of them :lol:
.177, .22lr, .22-250R, 2x .308W, .30-30W, 7.62x54r, 8x56r, 9x19, .357 Mag, 12GA
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Warrigul » 03 Feb 2015, 9:06 pm

Baldrick314 wrote:I had a couple mates give up because their wives/ girlfriends didn't like it. Relationships all broke down and they had to re-buy everything :lol:

The gun's not the problem that needs to be eliminated, it is the girlfriend.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by VICHunter » 04 Feb 2015, 2:48 pm

If you had a lot of money wrapped up in it it and weren't shooting much it makes sense to downsize. If you've got 10 or 20 firearms, that's a lot of cash not being put to work.

I don't know about other states but here it's about $250 for your longarm license for 5 years so that's the only cost incurred in keeping them. If you've only got a rifle or 3 the few grand they'd bring isn't going to change your life. Probably not worth the hassle IMO if you're still using them occasionally.

I fall into the later category and don't have a fortune wrapped up in mine. I think I'll always hang on to them, they can always be handed down if nothing else.
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 04 Feb 2015, 2:56 pm

pajamatime wrote:Thank god my wife supports me 100% then<3 I so lucky =)
Shes even been hinting at wanting to go for her Firearms Licence?

:thumbsup:

Mines got her longarm and game license, same as me.

Makes life easy :lol:
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Vati » 06 Feb 2015, 2:54 pm

I've got a few decades to go but I think no, I'll always have at least 1 or 2.

You're never to old to punch some paper with the 22 or site somewhere comfy with a varmint setup.
Reach out and touch...
Vati
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Old Fart » 09 Feb 2015, 10:57 am

Vati wrote:You're never to old to punch some paper with the 22 or site somewhere comfy with a varmint setup.

:thumbsup:

I'm getting there but will be keeping mine.
Winchester Model 70 Featherweight - .270 Winchester Short Magnum
Uberti 1873 Short Rifle - .45 Colt
Winchester Model 70 Coyote Varmint - .22-250 Remington
Old Fart
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Jack V » 09 Feb 2015, 11:25 am

I sold all my gun stuff to help buy my first house when I left the bush and moved to the city . There were no licences back then . Eventually I worked my way back but it was a struggle to get back to the same quality stuff as I had before . As I get older I will rationalise a bit and sell off some stuff but I will always keep a few rifles .
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 09 Feb 2015, 1:04 pm

They aren't costing him anything to keep so why not, who knows the grandkids might like to give it a go and he's in the perfect position to help them if they do. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Prios » 10 Feb 2015, 2:39 pm

bigfellascott wrote:They aren't costing him anything to keep so why not, who knows the grandkids might like to give it a go and he's in the perfect position to help them if they do. :thumbsup:

It's not that it's costing him, it's about having that money in something he'll be using.

The word 'boat' keeps coming up again and again I've noticed :lol:
Browning T-Bolt 17HMR + Leupold VX-1 4-12x40
Browning X Bolt Hunter 30-06 Springfield + Leupold VX-1 3-9x40
Prios
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 10 Feb 2015, 4:00 pm

Prios wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:They aren't costing him anything to keep so why not, who knows the grandkids might like to give it a go and he's in the perfect position to help them if they do. :thumbsup:

It's not that it's costing him, it's about having that money in something he'll be using.

The word 'boat' keeps coming up again and again I've noticed :lol:

Hard decision to make, maybe keep 1 or 2 that he really likes and will more than likely use if he decides to give it another go and sell the rest to help fund the boat? ;)
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Baronvonrort » 10 Feb 2015, 5:31 pm

Vati wrote:
You're never to old to punch some paper with the 22 or site somewhere comfy with a varmint setup.

John Radford is a 76 year old world rimfire champ from Coffs Harbour, to compete at that age would be great,kicking all the youngfellas asses and winning is a top effort IMO.

He came back after giving shooting away for a few years, let that be a lesson to all you quitters.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Baronvonrort » 10 Feb 2015, 5:44 pm

I wonder how many rimfire shooters hope this old bloke will retire, I hope he keeps going..lol

www.dailyexaminer.com.au/news/five-in-a ... rd/2472443
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by SendIt » 10 Feb 2015, 8:29 pm

Hell naw!
Sako 85 Hunter Laminated Stainless 30-06 Sprg
Zeiss Conquest HD5 2-10x42

Winchester 1892 44-40
SendIt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by headwerkn » 10 Feb 2015, 10:06 pm

Fortunately my missus loves shooting too, so my only concern is her claiming ownership over whichever firearms of mine she takes a liking too. Currently the Lithgow Crossover is "her gun"... as it the old .410 shottie.

Honestly, any significant other that would have you give up your guns, your motorbike, your boat or whatever passion you hold dear should be instantly disqualified.

I'd vote for rationalising his collection down to a few examples with significant hereditary or sentimental value - the sorta thing that can't be re-bought later on.
headwerkn
Recruit
Recruit

Other

Post by Noisydad » 11 Feb 2015, 4:42 am

My dad sold his last four long guns off when he was about 82 just because of lack of use. He's a life member of the local pistol club and had been a state champion in the "Free pistol" event back in the early 70's. Of course Lady Noisy shoots BP with me, has 3 registered to her atm and quite likes shooting my .40-65 Sharps. She is now required to buy her own damn long range cartridge rifle! :oops:
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Rocker » 11 Feb 2015, 8:45 am

SendIt wrote:Hell naw!

I concur.
Sako A7 30-06
Marlin 1895 Guide Gun 45-70
Rocker
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Jack V » 11 Feb 2015, 7:11 pm

Trouble is now you get nothing for second hand guns from dealers you have to sell private . Look if the guns are not floating your boat anymore ( pun intended ) get rid of them and go boating . I live 200 meters from the salt water and a ramp but only own a small tinny . I have considered many times dropping the guns and buying a big boat but then you get the problem of everyone wants to come fishing but no one wants to pay for any fuel or stay behind to clean the boat .
So if you do buy a boat don't go too big so you can take it out on your own if necessary .
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Baronvonrort » 11 Feb 2015, 7:45 pm

I use a tinny to row out to the yacht, a half cabin gives more protection from waves over the bow.

Multihulls are the future direction for boating,more stability less drag lower fuel use more deck space.

Try google for power catamaran and check out images they even look better.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Jack V » 11 Feb 2015, 8:19 pm

Baronvonrort wrote:I use a tinny to row out to the yacht, a half cabin gives more protection from waves over the bow.

Multihulls are the future direction for boating,more stability less drag lower fuel use more deck space.

Try google for power catamaran and check out images they even look better.

Well stability depends on the use and the seaway conditions and what actually happens to the boat . Catamarans are very stable to a point but if they turn over they can not right themselves well not easily. A single hull with a deep sea keel battened down for bad weather can turn right over in a heavy sea and then right it's self again even if the mast breaks off . Your still right way up.
Cats are good in certain circumstances but for long distance deep sea cruising I will take a steel deep keel hull or a steel twin bilge keel hull any day . It will survive winch anchored to a reef on it's side in a heavy sea for a long time where a cat will have fallen apart in a matter of hours .
For fishing in estuary's and a few kilometres offshore a Shark Cat or Markham Whaler or similar is very good stable boat but I would not want to take it around the World .
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Warrigul » 11 Feb 2015, 8:40 pm

Jack V wrote:Trouble is now you get nothing for second hand guns from dealers you have to sell private . Look if the guns are not floating your boat anymore ( pun intended ) get rid of them and go boating . I live 200 meters from the salt water and a ramp but only own a small tinny . I have considered many times dropping the guns and buying a big boat but then you get the problem of everyone wants to come fishing but no one wants to pay for any fuel or stay behind to clean the boat .
So if you do buy a boat don't go too big so you can take it out on your own if necessary .

I bet you are a ball of fun in real life.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by trekin » 12 Feb 2015, 6:34 am

Warrigul wrote:I bet you are a ball of fun in real life.

Whats this 'real life' you speak of.
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by GLS_1956 » 12 Feb 2015, 10:22 am

My father, who passed away 11 months ago, quit shooting about 5 years ago, his arthritis made just too painful to go to the range. However he kept buying guns up to about 18 months before his death.

His sons, my brothers and I, will divide up the guns between ourselves, as per his desire, someday. He had no daughters BTW.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by nords » 13 Feb 2015, 6:42 pm

Not unless everything gets reclassified as military looking here, no.
Norica Spider GRS Camo .22
Browning BLR Lightweight 81 .243
Browning A-Bolt Medallion 300 Win Mag. Weaver V-Series 3-15 x 42.
nords
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Varmtr » 18 Feb 2015, 1:36 pm

Prios wrote:I might not have much of an audience for this as if you've done it you're probably not on the forum any more but here goes :lol:

Anyone given up their license/guns for whatever reason?

Didn't use them enough, stopped enjoying it, whatever the reason may be?

An older colleague of mine doesn't have the legs any more to carry him around on a hunt and isn't into target shooting. He's now tossing up between hanging onto them in case the grand kids are interested which is still 7-8 years away or selling his stuff which will be a significant amount of money he could reinvest into a hobby for himself now.

Just got me wondering is all.

Well I'm currently in the same boat as your mate. Its hard to do when something has been a passion for so long. But I haven't pulled the trigger for 3 or so years. Do to a lot a factors and because of these I'm at the point where I can't be stuffed anymore in trying.
Cheers
Varmtr
Varmtr
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by roob » 18 Feb 2015, 5:31 pm

Bummer Varmtr.

That sucks :(
7mm-08 Tikka T3 Varmint and a .22-250 Tikka T3 Varmint
roob