long distance with a pump action

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

long distance with a pump action

Post by Sav » 21 Feb 2015, 6:19 am

Hey guys I just recently picked up a Remington 7600 In a .308 and I've been told by a few people that it won't be accurate long distance because its a pump action. I was just wondering why? Every time I asked each person why nobody had an answer lol..

I didn't buy it for long distance just a question ☺

Thanks ☺
Sav
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Re: long distance with a pump action

Post by Jack V » 21 Feb 2015, 7:47 am

Pump actions are not usually as accurate as bolt actions due to the way they are made with the barrel not able to be free floating and also they tend to have more sloppy fitting bolts and lock up to suit the way they feed and function . You can only go so far in tuning one for better accuracy where as with a bolt action you have more options to improve things. That is not to say that a good pump in 308 would be useless it may well be accurate enough for extending the range out past normal hunting ranges with good scope , the right ammo and skilful shooter but you would run into limitations at some point . It also depends on how far you call long distance .
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by yoshie » 21 Feb 2015, 9:51 am

You'll get good 'hunting' accuracy out of it, just don't expect to shoot benchrest or f-class with it. It's not that a pump action is unaccurate, bolt actions are inherently more accurate
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by 1290 » 21 Feb 2015, 1:33 pm

When someone tells you its not accurate because its a pump..... total BS,

It wont be accurate because its a Remington!!

....as he reaches for the popcorn :lol: :sarcasm:

Seriously, if its got a good barrel, it will shoot!
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Sav » 21 Feb 2015, 9:01 pm

Thanks guys :) I only want it for hunting its the first pump I've got and thought it might be interesting
Sav
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by deye243 » 21 Feb 2015, 10:06 pm

go and group it and that will answer your question better than anyone
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by headspace » 22 Feb 2015, 12:12 pm

Basically the pump action rifle is designed for short range in thick brush where a quick second shot may be needed. It also has a very short barrel and is not expected to be a long range shooter for that reason. So there's no point putting a 4-12 or even a 2-7 power scope on it. A good 2-4 would be about right.
JD
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by VICHunter » 23 Feb 2015, 12:43 pm

Sav wrote:Thanks guys :) I only want it for hunting its the first pump I've got and thought it might be interesting

Out to a couple of hundred metres like your typical range will be with hunting it will be fine.
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by squirrelhunter » 23 Feb 2015, 12:45 pm

yoshie wrote:You'll get good 'hunting' accuracy out of it, just don't expect to shoot benchrest or f-class with it.

Which is exactly what was intended with the rifle. People focus on irrelevant things so they can put someone down or talk themselves up. (Not you Yoshie :D)

This pump-action hunting rifle won't be any good for 1,000 target shooting? You don't say.
Ruger Gunsite Scout in .308
Bushnell 3-9x 40mm - Multi-X
squirrelhunter
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Tinked » 27 Feb 2015, 1:18 pm

I've read a few reviews on them and 1 and 1/4 inch seems about average accuracy. At 100m.

Plenty good for hunting :thumbsup:
Tinked
Private
Private

Australian Capital Territory

Post by tactice » 02 Mar 2015, 8:40 am

1290 wrote:Seriously, if its got a good barrel, it will shoot!

My Rem's have luckily been good right out of the box, but I've read the same problems people have reported about accuracy.

Issues in the barrel in recent years is typically the cause you reckon?
Remington 700 VTR .22-250 Rem
Remington 700 VTR .308 Win
tactice
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by BRNOmod2 » 02 Mar 2015, 12:06 pm

I've only used one once personally, but know a few people with them. IMHO For hunting and taking shots at sensible hunting ranges out to few hundred yards max (i.e. where you can have good shot placement for humane dispatches) your pump rifle will be more than fine - the leagues of Rem 7600 owners across the country will attest to that. Obviously if you try compare it to full flight range rifle with ally/composite stock, stiff action, heavy barrel etc it wont compete, but its bit like comparing apples with oranges.
BRNOmod2
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Bourt » 02 Mar 2015, 12:21 pm

Sav wrote:I only want it for hunting its the first pump I've got and thought it might be interesting

Sounds like a plan :thumbsup:
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Blu333 » 02 Mar 2015, 12:31 pm

I've got the 7600P, (The 16.5" barrel .308) I can get 1" at 100 yards with factory ammo (Remington core locked from memory) and i'm no elite marksman. If you were chasing more accuracy i'm sure you could do some load development. :)

Most people who poo poo pump actions aren't using them for what they are designed for or have never actually owned one. :roll: :problem:

Take it to the range, punch some paper, i'm sure you will be pleasantly surprised.
12G Pardus LAX12 Marine 20"
12G Adler A110
12G Winchester 101 O/U
.308 Rem 7600P - Leupold Vx1 3-9x40mm
.308 Rem 700 VSFII - Nightforce 8-32x56mm
.223 Tikka Super Varmint - Leupold VX2 6-18x40mm
.22LR CZ 455 Bushnell 4-12
.22 Winchester Air Rifle
Blu333
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Prettybird » 02 Mar 2015, 7:10 pm

Blu333 wrote:Most people who poo poo pump actions aren't using them for what they are designed for or have never actually owned one. :roll: :problem:

:thumbsup:

People bag things for the wrong reasons, you're right. I hope I didn't read it on here as I'm about to mock someone :lol: but I read on a shooting forum some guy who said if his hunting (that's hunting, not target shooting) wouldn't shoot under half MOA he'd take them back.

Who'd turn down a 0.6 MOA hunting rifle.... Really....
Prettybird
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Sav » 02 Mar 2015, 8:28 pm

Thanks guys this is all what I sort of thought. I am thinking of getting something for long distance as well
Sav
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by FuzzyM » 02 Mar 2015, 9:18 pm

Long range eh?
Get one of these then ;)

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/110BA
FuzzyM
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 02 Mar 2015, 10:03 pm

1290 wrote:When someone tells you its not accurate because its a pump..... total BS,

It wont be accurate because its a Remington!!

....as he reaches for the popcorn :lol: :sarcasm:

Seriously, if its got a good barrel, it will shoot!

Or did you mean a Marlington ????
"More :sarcasm: "
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 02 Mar 2015, 10:10 pm

Sav wrote:Thanks guys :) I only want it for hunting its the first pump I've got and thought it might be interesting

Hey there Sav,
I've got a 7600 .308 in the Camo (possibly the last one sold in Aus in the camo finish)
I put an Aimpoint Micro sight on mine, and its great in scrubby country.

What I have found is,,, Don't be too gentle when cycling yours,, they need to be fairly full on open and shut, to lock up properly.
I'm sure other owners wont disagree with me on this.
Cheers :drinks:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Fujix » 03 Mar 2015, 9:32 am

Sav wrote:I am thinking of getting something for long distance as well

For a dedicated long-range rifle you'd go a bolt action, but the pump is fine for what you bought it for :thumbsup:
Barrett M82 .50 calibre... Ok, not really :(
Fujix
Private
Private

Victoria

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges