Ranging extreme range targets

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

Ranging extreme range targets

Post by jeener » 03 Mar 2015, 2:46 pm

(Brett are you there? :lol:)

Just curious really. I've been looking at range finders and on even the high level ones 1,000 - 1,200yards seems about the limit, and that's on reflective surfaces usually too not just terrain.

The guys doing 1,700yard shooting or more (YouTube), are there commercial grade range finders that I wouldn't be finding they're measuring distances with? Or do you measure the distances in a few hops by standing in the middle or something?
jeener
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: Ranging extreme range targets

Post by Jack V » 03 Mar 2015, 3:13 pm

Leica range finders are good and affordable but if you want real long range then Military grade range finders like Vectronix can go out to 6 k and more but cost huge money . How reflective the target is has a big bearing on how well it ranges. So if a target is covered in thick hair but it's standing near a big rock or smooth tree , range the rock or the tree not the animal. Civilian range finders have to be less powerful than Military stuff to remain eye safe.
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by KWhorenet » 03 Mar 2015, 3:17 pm

when you say reflective, are you meaning a solid object with a flattish surface?
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Jack V » 03 Mar 2015, 3:47 pm

KWhorenet wrote:when you say reflective, are you meaning a solid object with a flattish surface?

Yes . Animal hair will absorb the laser and diffuse it . A solid smooth surface will reflect much more back to the range finder.
If the surface is flat and at right angles to the range finder even better but very rarely is in the bush .
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 03 Mar 2015, 7:09 pm

Like anything there's a few predisposing factors, how quick do you need to find the range? What reticle are you using? What's the target?

If you have plenty of time and target is reflective or next to something that is then you can't beat a LRF for ease of use and speed. Brighter objects will range easier then dark ones as already stated. Sometimes I'll pick something about halfway to laze then just double it, depends on how good your "eye" is.

I use one of these when playing wanabe sniper cause it talks directly to the ballistic computer via Bluetooth :)
http://www.lasertech.com/TruPulse-360-R-Laser-Rangefinder.aspx

One of these for general target stuff, relatively cheap and very tough.
http://www.bushnell.com/all-products/laser-rangefinders/elite-1600-arc

If time is a bit more critical then your choice of reticle becomes important. A good Tactical scope will have the ability to help you estimate the range by setting zoom to a set power then measuring the height in MOA of the target providing you can accurately estimate its size, some quick mental math and you have the range. I use the MOART reticle on the big guns due to ease of using holdovers.

Another simple stupid method is using the parallax setting to see what range the target focus's best at. Easy on scopes that have the numbers such as Kahles but difficult on the more generic 10 to infinity.

Short of time...experience and knowing your rounds capability / drop over distance is best. As a few members here do it, point, bang, flop at all kinds of ranges, this isn't luck but experience and knowing the rifles capabilities.

If you want to have some fun take a 22LR out to the range, shoot for bullseye at 25, 50, 75 & 100 and you can use a ruler to work out the drop. Same principle applies to virtually all calibres, only the distance will vary.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Jack V » 03 Mar 2015, 10:43 pm

Ranging with a Mil reticule in the bush at game is fairly hard because there is few man made objects that you know the size of .
Tactical and Military use is much easier as you usually have parts of structures , targets , vehicles and people to range on .
Misjudging the size of a pig could put you way off .
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by jeener » 04 Mar 2015, 10:41 am

KWhorenet wrote:when you say reflective, are you meaning a solid object with a flattish surface?

That is what I meant, yep.

Gives a better reflection for the beam, grass or trees or whatever diffuse it and reduce the range as I read it.

edit: replied before reading Jacks explanation. So yeah, same story.......
jeener
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Octane » 04 Mar 2015, 11:03 am

jeener wrote:The guys doing 1,700yard shooting or more (YouTube)

I think you'll find most of those guys are shooting on private ranges or regular spots where they have already ranged everything and are referring to notes/maps, not doing it on the fly.
Octane
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Jack V » 04 Mar 2015, 11:22 am

Octane wrote:
jeener wrote:The guys doing 1,700yard shooting or more (YouTube)

I think you'll find most of those guys are shooting on private ranges or regular spots where they have already ranged everything and are referring to notes/maps, not doing it on the fly.

I agree .
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by lole » 04 Mar 2015, 3:02 pm

Don't forget they show you the last 2-3 shots before they hit the bottle at 1,700 yards.

Not the 30 or 40 they spent getting their ;)
lole
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 04 Mar 2015, 3:13 pm

lole wrote:Don't forget they show you the last 2-3 shots before they hit the bottle at 1,700 yards.

Not the 30 or 40 they spent getting their ;)

Not always...check my shooting the Barrett 416 out to 1000m cause I think it was either the 5th or 6th shot before I got a hit. Many use some creative editing to show first shot hits which is very misleading and does more harm then good. Probably the most understated requirement for the long range stuff is having a good spotter as they are just as important as the shooter.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Jack V » 04 Mar 2015, 8:33 pm

Yeah but which drum were you shooting at :roll:
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by lole » 05 Mar 2015, 9:01 am

brett1868 wrote:Not always...check my shooting the Barrett 416 out to 1000m cause I think it was either the 5th or 6th shot before I got a hit. Many use some creative editing to show first shot hits which is very misleading and does more harm then good. Probably the most understated requirement for the long range stuff is having a good spotter as they are just as important as the shooter.

Sure, not always. Just saying to OP if he starts having at this kind of stuff don't feel bad about your shooting if you're not just strolling out and hitting a coke can at 1,700 yards on the first shot :lol:

Selective editing not helpful for shooters as you say ;)
lole
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by chacka » 05 Mar 2015, 9:05 am

brett1868 wrote:check my shooting the Barrett 416.....

Of your long-range lineup Brett which would you say is the most accurate?
More Than Just The Gun
chacka
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by brett1868 » 05 Mar 2015, 11:52 am

Jack V wrote:Yeah but which drum were you shooting at :roll:

The one I hit of course :D :D :D
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Jack V » 05 Mar 2015, 12:34 pm

brett1868 wrote:
Jack V wrote:Yeah but which drum were you shooting at :roll:

The one I hit of course :D :D :D

I though you would say that . Good comeback. :lol:
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by roob » 05 Mar 2015, 1:16 pm

I can hit a blade of grass every time at 1,000 yards.

Look forward.... You'll see which I was aiming at when it hits :lol:
7mm-08 Tikka T3 Varmint and a .22-250 Tikka T3 Varmint
roob
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 05 Mar 2015, 10:51 pm

chacka wrote:
brett1868 wrote:check my shooting the Barrett 416.....

Of your long-range lineup Brett which would you say is the most accurate?

At this point in time I'd have to go with the .416 Barrett BUT the .375 Cheyatc is yet to be tested out past 1500m so I reserve the right to change my preference. Haven't fired the DTA HTI in .416 yet, was having too much fun with the Barrett and ran out of ammo. I like all kinds of rifles and seriously thinking about going old school black powder just for some fun.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by roob » 07 Mar 2015, 1:21 pm

Hmm.

Maybe it's more of a Hollywood thing but .50BMG gets talked up like it's "the" extreme range cartridge.

I guess the newer designed cartridges like the Barrett and Cheytac have the advantage of better tools and testing behind their development.
7mm-08 Tikka T3 Varmint and a .22-250 Tikka T3 Varmint
roob
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Bark » 07 Mar 2015, 1:21 pm

There would be something in that.

The .50BMG is 100 years old...
Bark
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Jack V » 07 Mar 2015, 1:52 pm

The 50 BMG has a lot more energy than the 416 Barrett so it also has greater anti material use .
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Bark » 08 Mar 2015, 12:20 pm

Jack V wrote:The 50 BMG has a lot more energy than the 416 Barrett so it also has greater anti material use .

And that's useful here how :P

We were just talking accuracy. Not about shooting humvees :P
Bark
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Jack V » 08 Mar 2015, 4:03 pm

Bark wrote:
Jack V wrote:The 50 BMG has a lot more energy than the 416 Barrett so it also has greater anti material use .

And that's useful here how :P

We were just talking accuracy. Not about shooting humvees :P

Well it's pertinent to the previous statement that the " 416 is the best " when for some jobs it's not .
I did not see any place in the thread that was exclusive to accuracy only . I think you are imagining that.
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by subatom » 09 Mar 2015, 10:49 am

Could be relevant.

Some of those pigs have damn thing skin! :lol:

1,500m pig hunting with a .50bmg would be something :D
Remington VTR .308 Winchester. Marlin 336 .35 Remington. Mossberg 185 20 gauge.
subatom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges