Omark 44 vs newer rifles

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

Re: Omark 44 vs newer rifles

Post by Gwion » 27 Jul 2017, 4:50 pm

Perfect choice for a bit of plunking at range. Bugger the Ruger, a $500 Omark will put a hole in the bull just the same or better. We are thinking of getting one as a club rifle for new comers to try out the game. A couple of members have them and one has shot 2 possibles (60/60) at 500yds in the last 2 years. Very capable rifle is you get your hands on s good, clean example.
Gwion
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

-

Post by Gwion » 27 Jul 2017, 8:21 pm

308 or 223?
Gwion
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

-

Post by sungazer » 27 Jul 2017, 8:45 pm

I wouldn't go the Burris eliminator. I did a fair bit of research and all reviews are great, but take it into the real world of target shooting its just not made for it. The loads can be selected but you have to have a load that is compatible. Then for target shooting most adjust turrets as you go and shoot on the center of the reticle . The eliminator is for hold offs and hold offs are just not as accurate or at least a lot harder. Consider a cross wind you have two sighters to make an adjustment. It may be .75 moa or how many clicks perhaps 3 or 6 depending on scope. To try and hold off this much consistently is .....ing hard.
sungazer
Major
Major

Other

Post by Gwion » 27 Jul 2017, 10:29 pm

i would consider something like a Vortex HST 3-15x50.
The two main factors to consider are elevation range and scope tracking accuracy.
Gwion
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

-

Post by Templar1975 » 30 Jul 2017, 1:51 pm

I have an old Omark 44 in .308 I bought from a club member when I took up f-class, came with a 6-24x Tasco scope and it shoots very very well.
Paid $300 for it including the scope and most definitely don't regret it!

I usually average from 55-57 most weekends, last was a 57 with 3 at 600 yards with my own loads.
Templar1975
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Mulder030 » 30 Jul 2017, 3:23 pm

Afternoon All,

Was doing some spring cleaning today and stumbled across an old document, (scanned copy of the original)
it is "What you Should Know About the Sportco 44" gives you an overview about the rifle, Cleaning Instructions, How to dismantle the bolt, trigger adjustment, Specs and parts breakdown.

Would be happy to share it around, I scanned it onto the computer so could email it out.
If anyone wants a copy for send me a message.
O'mark Model 44 - .308 - Paper
Howa M1500 ultra light Boyd's stock - .308 - Game
Savage MK II Varmint - .22LR - Practice
Mulder030
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by sungazer » 30 Jul 2017, 5:50 pm

A Good Scope as you now depends on your budget. For 500yrd shots a 32 times what is really needed if your serious about target shooting at all. I reckon you could get away with a 25 times magnification but not get the best scores. The Nightforce Bench Rest scopes are much more reasonably priced than the NXS series and I would say have better clarity and reticle. I have one of each and use them regularly so feel qualified to make that statement. The Sightron used to be a real good value for money scope however they have increased prices as people and brand have caught on.
sungazer
Major
Major

Other

Post by Steviegee » 18 Aug 2017, 11:13 pm

Looking at getting into f class shooting if anybody knows were i can get an omark 308
Steviegee
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by Mulder030 » 19 Aug 2017, 9:21 am

There are a few rifles for sale on the usual websites. I picked mine up from talking to members at the club.
usedguns.com.au
ssaagunsales,com
ozgunsales.com
Mulder030
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by marksman » 19 Aug 2017, 10:31 am

sungazer wrote:A Good Scope as you now depends on your budget. For 500yrd shots a 32 times what is really needed if your serious about target shooting at all. I reckon you could get away with a 25 times magnification but not get the best scores. The Nightforce Bench Rest scopes are much more reasonably priced than the NXS series and I would say have better clarity and reticle. I have one of each and use them regularly so feel qualified to make that statement. The Sightron used to be a real good value for money scope however they have increased prices as people and brand have caught on.

very good advise here
and just so you know the Burris eliminator is a good scope for hunting but the reason it isn't very good for targets is that the dot is as big as a rabbits head at 500
I know because until recently I had one, the dot is way to big for small groups, I must say I really did like the scope but sold it off for a second hand 8-32x56 nightforce br scope way more suited for what you want
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Bloodzkull » 07 Mar 2018, 12:32 pm

pomemax wrote:I have 2 omarks one in 308 and another that i have just fitted a 223 barrel to,
The 223 barrel cost me an arm and a leg i didn't want the adaptor so it's the last new Nab barrel made for a omark action , I have only shot it at 50 m at St mary's without a scope just sighting along the barrel and I was impressed the other omark is a boring rifle keeps shooting through the same hole even with factory loads must take it out to Malabar see how they go over a real distance that will probably be next year now.
As for parts I am starting my collection I have a 308 barrel and bolt head now haha Question has anyone ever seen an Omark set up in 243 im sure I saw one the other week just cant rember where

I have one in .243
Barrel was shot and mab had well priced 243 barrel for it so my father (when it was his)
Shoots bloody well and more than happy with it.
Bloodzkull
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by lmlalong » 31 Dec 2018, 11:24 pm

Mulder030 wrote:Afternoon All,

Was doing some spring cleaning today and stumbled across an old document, (scanned copy of the original)
it is "What you Should Know About the Sportco 44" gives you an overview about the rifle, Cleaning Instructions, How to dismantle the bolt, trigger adjustment, Specs and parts breakdown.

Would be happy to share it around, I scanned it onto the computer so could email it out.
If anyone wants a copy for send me a message.

Hi there,

I just got my first Omark 44 today. just wonder if i could grab a email copy of the document u have?

lmlalong@ hotmail.com

Much appreciated.
lmlalong
Private
Private

New Zealand

Post by Mulder030 » 01 Jan 2019, 1:36 pm

lmlalong wrote:
Hi there,

I just got my first Omark 44 today. just wonder if i could grab a email copy of the document u have?

lmlalong@ hotmail.com

Much appreciated.

Hey Mate,

Yeah no worries, I have re-configured my computer since I last scanned it in. So I will do some digging around in my back-up files to see if I still have it.
If not I will scan it back in when I go back to work. :thumbsup:

Regards
Mulder
Mulder030
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by zendainc » 10 Jan 2019, 3:26 pm

Mulder030 wrote:
lmlalong wrote:
Hi there,

lmlalong@ hotmail.com

Much appreciated.

Hey Mate,

Yeah no worries, I have re-configured my computer since I last scanned it in. So I will do some digging around in my back-up files to see if I still have it.
If not I will scan it back in when I go back to work. :thumbsup:

Regards
Mulder

Hi Mulder,

I'd love a copy of that document as well, if you still have it floating around.

Just picked up an Omark myself.
zendainc
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Mulder030 » 12 Jan 2019, 4:44 pm

zendainc wrote:Hi Mulder,

I'd love a copy of that document as well, if you still have it floating around.

Just picked up an Omark myself.

G'day Zendainc
Yeah no worries, shoot me a direct message with your email address and I can forward it through.

Regards
Mulder
Mulder030
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Previous

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges