Omark 44 vs newer rifles

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

Re: Omark 44 vs newer rifles

Post by gherx » 18 Mar 2015, 12:44 pm

Chronos wrote:i guess the op will need to specify what kind of long range shooting he is talking about, until then i stand by my comments that for "long range" shooting an omark is a fantastic starting point, capable of shooting very accurately and even factoring in a new barrel less than 1/2 the price of an equivalent new rifle.

This is just the research stage, but I guess lets say we're talking about F-class and the distances in that discipline so we have some sort of base for comparison.

(comparison now that the question has been answered already anyway :lol: :D)
gherx
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by bluerob » 19 Mar 2015, 8:52 am

gherx wrote:
Chronos wrote:i guess the op will need to specify what kind of long range shooting he is talking about, until then i stand by my comments that for "long range" shooting an omark is a fantastic starting point, capable of shooting very accurately and even factoring in a new barrel less than 1/2 the price of an equivalent new rifle.

This is just the research stage, but I guess lets say we're talking about F-class and the distances in that discipline so we have some sort of base for comparison.

(comparison now that the question has been answered already anyway :lol: :D)

I'm looking at putting an Omark into a GRS stock. I'll have to purchase the blank version and have someone do the in letting and fitting. I'm looking to use this in F-Class.

I had the privilege of watching Morro use Omark's and hit centre bulls at 1000m with peep sights many many times.

1st time I hit a centre bull, I was doing cartwheels up and down the old club house at Malabar.
bluerob
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 19 Mar 2015, 9:03 am

bluerob wrote:I'm looking at putting an Omark into a GRS stock. I'll have to purchase the blank version and have someone do the in letting and fitting. I'm looking to use this in F-Class.

I had the privilege of watching Morro use Omark's and hit centre bulls at 1000m with peep sights many many times.

1st time I hit a centre bull, I was doing cartwheels up and down the old club house at Malabar.

Hey mate. I can highly recommend Matt Peroz in castle hill (OLRP)

He has completed a few jobs for me now and his work is first class and he always give an accurate completion date. He is quickly becoming the goto gunsmith in Sydney for F class and BR rifle gunsmithing

Pm me for his contact details if you want

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Jack V » 19 Mar 2015, 11:27 am

Morro wrote:Jack V
I've noticed you have become somewhat a self proclaimed gunsmith expert on this forum. You have made a lot of very valid points and answered many questions but there comes a time when if you are not an expert on the subject be carefull what you say.
From when I couldnt even hold a fullbore rifle up, having to sit it on a box in the late seventies with my awesome dad to when I left fullbore prone target shooting at ANZAC rifle range in the late 1990's, I used and still own Omark model A's and B's. I competed in the annual Queens shoot and intra state comps ,doing quite well as an A grade shooter. The Omark as stated by Chronos is a very accurate firearm. I think you might find either last year or year before an Aussie took out the prestigious Bisley shoot in England with his dads s**ty old Omark. Omark didnt have the market on barrels, all mine have Black Mountain hammer forged barrels except 2 Model A's that have the chrome lined. Shillen, Madco, black Mountain made barrels for them with no adapter, I think tobler required it. Yes the adapter added strength to the simple design but didnt add centre bulls when it counted.
My rifles are basically 30 years old and have never required any spare parts after getting the bolt safety mods to the model A's to update them to the improved model B's.
I hope you get to shoot one of these one day, yes they are plain and basic but also having a fitter/machinist background, I really appreciate economy and strength of design to achieve the desired task. I came from a rather poor family and drooled over the Angel and Musgrave's the rich guys had with their new high tech stainless fluted barrels but the Omark always punched above its weight

I did not say they were not accurate I said that I don't think they are the best thing for a new project and don't threaten me sport .
NO ONE SAID THEY WERE NOT ACCUARTE YOU ARE IMAGINING THINGS.
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Morro » 19 Mar 2015, 3:54 pm

Jack V wrote:
Morro wrote:Jack V
I did not say they were not accurate I said that I don't think they are the best thing for a new project and don't threaten me sport .
NO ONE SAID THEY WERE NOT ACCUARTE YOU ARE IMAGINING THINGS.

I was wondering which way u would take my post, now I know sadly.
I respect your opinion as I noted in my previous post, did u feel threatened by by term "self proclaimed gunsmith?"
If so why? U have given many people a great insight on this forum by inferring a considerable knowledge in gunsmithing and firearms balistic knowledge.
I will always, as I have done most of my life, thanks to my upbring & critical thinking job I have enjoyed after leaving my trade, accept constructive criticism as it makes u a better operator and see tangents u might never have contemplated.
I think u have seen most of us on here have said the Omark is a great starting point that using my quote, "bats above its weight" So this is were we get the right (I think I qualified myself to speak) to opionate that u have to be a damn good shooter to outshoot an Omark that would warrant even the initial outlay of a Tikka/Sako, & boy do I love those rifles.
Please dont feel threatned by me, just enjoy the debate sport : )
Morro
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by North East » 19 Mar 2015, 4:43 pm

This thread is boring. You blokes should just shut up.
Browning BL-22 lever action...open sights
T3 Varmint .204 Ruger...Meopta Meostar 4-16X44
T3 Lite .30-06 Sprg...Aimpoint Hunter 1X red dot

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Chronos » 19 Mar 2015, 4:44 pm

Jack V wrote:You and your mate started this chronos . You are the antagonist in this , trying to shut other peoples opinions out because they don't fit your ideas. Look back at my first post I never said anything bad about your Precious Omark .

LOL, i've never even owned an omark and you should know by now I don't have any mates here.

my point is you need to tone it down and calling people retards belongs back in the 1950's and i reckon you should appologise to the new member you claim threatened you

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by bluerob » 19 Mar 2015, 4:45 pm

Chronos wrote:Hey mate. I can highly recommend Matt Peroz in castle hill (OLRP)

He has completed a few jobs for me now and his work is first class and he always give an accurate completion date. He is quickly becoming the goto gunsmith in Sydney for F class and BR rifle gunsmithing

Pm me for his contact details if you want

Chronos

Many thanks for the heads up. I'll send the PM.

Cheers.
bluerob
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 19 Mar 2015, 7:08 pm

Kindergarden is in today.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 19 Mar 2015, 7:10 pm

Past 3.30pm, kinder is out and mummy is here to meet the kiddies. So time to go home to daddy.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by NuZo » 19 Mar 2015, 9:48 pm

I bought an omark.

Best $250 I've spent on a rifle ever! Yeah, she's been bubba'd but she shoots great! Here's my first 3 shots out of her after being bore sighted at 100m. Shooting 150gr Speer SPBT and 45gr 2206H, CCI LRP, Random case.

When i got down to the line and saw the 3 shots, i actually jumped in happiness. For the rest of the day i was just so bloody happy.

I bought the rifle as a learning aid. i wanted to learn the in's and out's of everything, something i wouldn't be afraid to cut up or change. To perfect reloading techniques and what really matters vs what is done just for show etc. and I'm still learning to this day.

If you want a budget target rifle, You can't go wrong with an omark. Just do yourself a favour, don't buy s**t glass to put on it. I bought a cheap Tasco 10-40x50. while it gets the job done, i really need to invest in something better. the rifle is more than capable.

Picture below.

Cheers,

Nuzo
Attachments
omarkfirstshots.jpg
omarkfirstshots.jpg (79.91 KiB) Viewed 14394 times
Subscribe to Australian Shooting Channel on Youtube! - https://www.youtube.com/c/AustralianShootingChannel
Like Australian Shooting Channel on Facebook! - https://www.facebook.com/AustralianShootingChannel
NuZo
Private
Private

-

Post by brett1868 » 19 Mar 2015, 10:04 pm

I probably bumped into a few of you guys at Malabar in the 90's as I used to shoot there most weekends. I never competed though as I was only ever a casual shooter there, but I did get to know Roger the deaf as a post R.O. John Kell from Colonial Gunshop was a good friend and his passing was a huge loss to the black powder scene.
Apart from the name calling and $hit slinging I've learnt a few things from this thread, I know a little more about Omark rifles (Thankyou) and the name of a good gunsmith not too far away (Thank you also). I joined this forum with the goal of sharing some of the knowledge I've gained with particular focus on the bigger calibres as there's next to no local information available. I generally read my posts before hitting the Submit button with the aim of ensuring I'm providing something useful, informative, adding value or attempting humor.
Lets put all this B.S in the past and get back to what this forum should be, A place to share knowledge, Experience and a love for our sport.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Blackened » 20 Mar 2015, 7:28 am

Deleted the offending posts above.

There is no place for that here.

Forced holiday for anyone who can't keep their language civil.
Blackened

New South Wales

Post by melanie » 20 Mar 2015, 8:22 am

NuZo wrote:Yeah, she's been bubba'd but she shoots great!

She's been what? :lol:
melanie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Yelp » 20 Mar 2015, 8:23 am

NuZo wrote:Best $250 I've spent on a rifle ever!

1/4 MOA for $250. Noice.
Yelp
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Warrigul » 20 Mar 2015, 8:27 am

Sharing knowledge:

This was published many, many years ago and gives a brief insight into the trigger, use at your own peril.

A hint, click on the picture and it will present full size on the screen.

trigger omark.jpg
trigger omark.jpg (137.19 KiB) Viewed 13952 times

It may also be useful to have a copy of this in a dedicated thread to omark inforation.

Especially useful for those encountering the Omark/sportco for the first time.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Harper » 20 Mar 2015, 8:35 am

In fact, that adjustment screw had been turned right out amd was held in place by a piece of adhesive tape wrapped around the trigger block

:crazy: :unknown:
Savage 14/114 American Classic 30-06 Springfield
Savage Axis 25-06 Remington
Harper
Corporal
Corporal

Northern Territory

Post by Warrigul » 20 Mar 2015, 10:17 am

melanie wrote:
NuZo wrote:Yeah, she's been bubba'd but she shoots great!

She's been what? :lol:

Bubba, generally dumb bastards who chop guns and stocks to supposedly improve them but in reality stuffs them. More a military collectors term referring to those individuals who "sporterise" military firearms.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by bluerob » 21 Mar 2015, 4:13 am

Warrigul wrote:Sharing knowledge:

This was published many, many years ago and gives a brief insight into the trigger, use at your own peril.

A hint, click on the picture and it will present full size on the screen.

trigger omark.jpg

It may also be useful to have a copy of this in a dedicated thread to omark inforation.

Especially useful for those encountering the Omark/sportco for the first time.

Thanks for this.

I'm about to "bubba" an Omark with GRS stock. I shot this rifle in the 1980's.

I looked at getting a Sako TRG22. I'm not an expert on guns, but, the Omark will do me fine. It shot centre bulls at 1000m. Don't know that I'll do that again.
bluerob
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by melanie » 22 Mar 2015, 1:15 pm

Warrigul wrote:Bubba, generally dumb bastards who chop guns and stocks to supposedly improve them but in reality stuffs them. More a military collectors term referring to those individuals who "sporterise" military firearms.

Ah yeah, I've seen some of the joke topics now you mention it :D
melanie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by pomemax » 17 Dec 2015, 7:13 pm

I have 2 omarks one in 308 and another that i have just fitted a 223 barrel to,
The 223 barrel cost me an arm and a leg i didn't want the adaptor so it's the last new Nab barrel made for a omark action , I have only shot it at 50 m at St mary's without a scope just sighting along the barrel and I was impressed the other omark is a boring rifle keeps shooting through the same hole even with factory loads must take it out to Malabar see how they go over a real distance that will probably be next year now.
As for parts I am starting my collection I have a 308 barrel and bolt head now haha Question has anyone ever seen an Omark set up in 243 im sure I saw one the other week just cant rember where
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by 6mmdasher » 18 Dec 2015, 12:13 pm

Having ovned and shot and built many omarks over the past twenty or so years it would be very hard to find a better shooting rifle at any price. They have very few draw backs and parts are availiable from TSE in Queensland. The only breakage I have ever scene is one broken extracter! Fitter with an adapter and a new barrel such as a Maddco, trueflite or TSE they will out shoot any factory gun reguardless of price. I have built them in 223,22BR, 6mm PPC, 6MM BR, 7 x 57 ack imp as well as 308. try hanging a No7 Profile 30 inch Barrel off any modern repeater action, The bedding platform of an Omark is very hard to beat. They may not be a cool tactical looking rifle but I prefer my guns to shoot!
22lr, 22br,6mm br,30br, 6mm PPC,6mm dasher, 6mm superLR, 260 rem, 257 rob ack imp,7 x 57 ack imp,308 win,30/06 ack imp, 32/20, 44/40, 444 marlin,12.14 x 42mm
6mmdasher
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Khan » 05 Jan 2016, 9:31 am

6mmdasher wrote:They may not be a cool tactical looking rifle but I prefer my guns to shoot!

Doesn't bother me as long as the paper at the other end looks good after shooting ;)
44 Rem. Magnum Marlin Model 1894
.280 Rem. Browning X-Bolt Hunter
Khan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by mrnic » 05 Apr 2016, 3:17 pm

Hi there. I have been silent in the back ground listening and learning for a very long time. I started shooting 24 months ago. My first rifle was a marlin x7vh .308. I quickly realized i wanted to get into long range precision shooting and would need a better rifle. I bought my first omark not long after after reading this thread and a couple others threads. I fell in love with the rifle and now have 3 of them in very good condition. The first one i purchase was a model b. Very late one. I shot the s**t out of it for 12 months groups started widening so i purchase a 2 stage davies trigger a davies 20moa rail sent the whole thing to allen swan gunsmith and now uave a beautiful omark with swan 27inch br profile barrel in stainless steel. And 6.5-284 norma Custom swan muzzle brake custom tactical bolt handel mod. Custom adaptor made from old barrel custom trigger guard re floated to fit the big fat barrel and glass bedded action in to a beautiful original hard wood last model omark stock. So i thank you all for getting me onto the old omark. I absolutely love this rifle and look forward to hitting the range thus weekend to run her in.
mrnic
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by wayward » 13 Apr 2016, 9:52 am

She sounds like a beaut :D
wayward
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by smlekid » 29 Oct 2016, 2:08 pm

I'm a bit late in on this topic so here goes
I started shootimg F Class a few years ago with an Omark 308 that someone had spent a bit of money on it was fitted with a 30" stainless fluted barrel and it shot very well
I decided to try F Open and looked at rifles and prices for modern target actions I really couldn't justify the cost of these actions and decided to buy an Omark and have it rebarreled well it kind of snowballed into a complete F class rifle that cost not much more than a modern target action it shoots very very well
the parts list
30" Krieger Light Varmit barrel
Maddco adapter
Davies 2 stage trigger
Richards Microfit stock in Electric Blue
nightforce 20moa rail
calibre is 6.5 Super LR I can launch a 140gr bullet at 3000fps with this round
smlekid
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Sydneywizard » 09 Nov 2016, 5:51 am

That's a absolute beauty @smlekid.
Sydneywizard
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by smlekid » 12 Nov 2016, 5:23 pm

Sydneywizard wrote:That's a absolute beauty @smlekid.

Thanks mate rifle was built by Jerome Ziersh can't recommend him highly enough first class workmanship
smlekid
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Omark44 » 14 Nov 2016, 1:10 pm

Well for what it is worth I shoot an Omark model 44 with bisley chamber madco barrel Davies trigger and it is just fantastic and will out shoot most riffles in my club. I'm not the greatest shooter out there and struggle reading mirage and wind but at 500 yards shot 65.5 on Saturday in poor conditions. There is plenty of big money riffles in our club and I can out shoot them 99 percent of the time with my old Omark. We have at least five shooters using them and they all shoot well. I know my riffle is not stock but with a little effort on reloading they shoot fantastic. I will not buy anything other than this budget riffle. It groups well at any distance is a pleasure to shoot. I handed it to a mate to have a go with it at 500 yards and on his first ever shoot of a 308 only dropped three points over 13 shots and shot six supers with the very first go. Now I'm no expert but there are plenty of riffles that have cost in excess of six thousand dollars that do not shoot any better than the Omark I shoot. For a new shooter just entering the full bore shooting an Omark would be a good starting point so long as you buy a good one to start with.
Omark44
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Wayne_tri62 » 20 Nov 2016, 2:10 pm

Hi... I am super new to Fullbore TR competition and shooting (very new) I obtained a great condition Omark.. it was a country club rifle with very very very little use.. Still original barrel, has Centra 4 sights.. nothing flash.. made in the 70s and great condition... experience shooters at Muckadilla Rifle club, rave about the condition and price
I have been to the range twice to shoot it,,, last week was at 600 metres for the first time... (all other equipment is borrowed). I hit bulls and V's with a coach next to me.. I will keep this rifle for ever... Will rebuild if necessary... I really want an adjustable stock. and have the ability at a later date to replace the barrel...
I shoot 155 Palma ammo from Qstore (Brisbane).
Advice on Stock and future barrel replacement would be appreciated
I will be doing my first ever competition in May 2017. . But this rifle is the bomb, and I was amazed that with advice from a coach and doing my part, that my first time at 600m was so successful..... Omark rule
Wayne_tri62
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Next

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges