Expensive rifles and cheap ammo

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

Expensive rifles and cheap ammo

Post by scrolllock » 30 Mar 2015, 7:52 am

I don't know if I call this post a rant or bit of sour grapes or what but here it is :lol:

Went to Little River yesterday and there was a bloke there with a tonne of cashs worth of gear on the table.

He had a Tikka in the MDT chassis with a brake, and with one of the Leupold Tactical scopes, a Savage 110 BA with one of the same scopes I think, everything in pelican cases and a bunch of other gear. Probably $10,000+ between the two.

Then for all that he's got boxes of PPU soft points stacked up on the table :unknown:

Left me scratching my head, all that then use cheap hunting ammo. I didn't go and look at this targets but he couldn't be getting anywhere near the most out of those rifles with that ammo, right.

None if my business what he does but seems like a waste of time and money to me.

Rant over I guess :lol: Just thinking out loud.
scrolllock
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Expensive rifles and cheap ammo

Post by wrenchman » 30 Mar 2015, 8:12 am

he could be geting good groups from them or they might be hand loads that were just put back in the same box...
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Octane » 30 Mar 2015, 11:09 am

Could be either of the above.

I've seen my share of people who think expensive rifle = good shooting though, I'll say that.
Octane
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by tom604 » 30 Mar 2015, 11:24 am

what ever shoots in his gun :unknown: could be running it in or as others have said, hand loads ,making brass :unknown:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by scrolllock » 30 Mar 2015, 1:16 pm

Fair enough.

Stupid post really I suppose.

Leaping to conclusions just cause it irked me for some stupid reason :lol:
scrolllock
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Korkt » 31 Mar 2015, 1:53 pm

Who knows.

Some guys don't want to reload by feel better about spending big money on a rifle.

If it makes him happy, who cares.
Korkt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by RealNick » 07 Apr 2015, 10:11 am

Could have been 'breaking the barrel in' with some cheap ammo as some shooters like to do.
RealNick
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Steve1110 » 13 Apr 2015, 5:50 pm

Just a beginner shooter here but what I have heard from every experienced marksman is that shooting is at least 70% about ammo. I used a sako finfire II .22 and Colt M2012 .308 syn coyote. If I go with cheap ammo, why waste over $6000 on a rifle and $3000 on a scope.
"Your Youngest and Strongest Will Die by the Sword"
Steve1110
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Prios » 14 Apr 2015, 2:43 pm

It's a combination of all factors.

Cheaply produced ammunition that has inconsistent weight projectiles, powder charges, case capacities etc. will be of low accuracy regardless of the rifle quality.

A poorly designed or manufactured rifle won't shoot tight groups even with high precision/consistency ammo.

Even high quality ammunition may not shoot well in a high quality firearm if they do not align. Wrong twist for the projectile, barrel harmonics don't line up with it etc.

The ammo he was using may have worked great for all you know, can't say without seeing the groups obviously.
Browning T-Bolt 17HMR + Leupold VX-1 4-12x40
Browning X Bolt Hunter 30-06 Springfield + Leupold VX-1 3-9x40
Prios
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Herdsman » 16 Apr 2015, 12:29 am

To each their own..... Ignore that bloke and shoot your best :D
Shepherding bullets down range.

Tikka Hunter Stainless Fluted 300 Win Mag
Tikka Battue Lite .308 Win
Tikka Varmint Stainless .222 Rem
Herdsman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by SendIt » 16 Apr 2015, 2:04 pm

Properly developed hand loads will always be the most accurate.

Personally I agree if you've spend $5k on a bench setup not putting the effort into reloading makes it a bit of a waste.

To each their own, might make him happy enough to just have the expensive rifle.
Sako 85 Hunter Laminated Stainless 30-06 Sprg
Zeiss Conquest HD5 2-10x42

Winchester 1892 44-40
SendIt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by headspace » 23 Apr 2015, 6:39 pm

I've seen that sort of thing myself, new shooter walking into a gun shop and they load him up with all the crap in the world then he's only got enough money left from cheap ammo. We had a bloke come out one day and he's got it all stainless metal, high end composite stock adjustable cheek piece etc but could not hit a bull in the bum with a bass fiddle. I think the first thing to go was the muzzle brake, it was on a 243W.
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by cooker » 24 Apr 2015, 8:41 am

headspace wrote:I think the first thing to go was the muzzle brake, it was on a 243W.

:crazy:
cooker
Private
Private

New Zealand

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges