Anyone bother to chronograph their loads?

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

Anyone bother to chronograph their loads?

Post by Bourt » 20 Oct 2013, 5:56 pm

A mate of mine has an RCBS chronograph he's looking to move on for $75 and asked if I wanted it.

Other than for satisfying your curiosity, does anyone bother to chronograph their hand loads?

Seems like a cool toy but I can see myself using it once and going "oh, ok so it's xxxx FPS" then sticking it in the cupboard forever...

I shoot .308 and only shoot for fun, not serious comp or anything.

Do you guys find them useful or just gimmicky?
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Re: Anyone bother to chronograph their loads?

Post by Aster » 20 Oct 2013, 8:06 pm

Doesn't sound like you're terribly fussed in fine tuning/recording your loads.

If you've got an accurate round your happy with that serves your purposes, then I'd say its not much more for you than a curiosity.
See you on the firing line.
Aster

-

Post by Don10 » 20 Oct 2013, 8:29 pm

If you don't reload or have the ability or desire to change the MV of a round well I guess it wont be useful. if on the other hand you wanted to fine tune a load (assuming your reloading) then it is a very good tool to use. I have one and I use it a lot. Always some new load I'm working up.
"Australian troops had, at Milne Bay, inflicted on the Japanese their first undoubted defeat on land. Some of us may forget that, of all the allies, it was the Australians who first broke the invincibility of the Japanese army. — Field Marsh Slim.
Don10
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Bourt » 21 Oct 2013, 9:05 am

I do reload, but it the chrono would only be for fun really.

I have my 'regular' load and occasionally try a few groups with a new bullet. But I'm not out there every weekend tuning loads for F-class or anything like that.
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Blackened » 21 Oct 2013, 9:28 am

If you're happy to pay $75 to entertain your curiosity, that would be the only reason to go for it in your situation I would say.
Blackened

New South Wales

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges